ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

I bet living on campus is convenient! So does the on campus apartment have a size limit on aquariums? I know a lot of dorms do and then the off campus, private apartment I lived in for most of undergrad had a 10 gallon aquarium limit. Granted, I had a 37 gallon fancy goldfish tank and they never said anything, so that's usually flexible :) I love the picos but they just get full so fast and fish options are super limited. I bet something in the 5-10 gallon range would be perfect to give you enough space for some small fish and more coral growth. Also pretty cheap and easy to set up :)

I do understand the hassle of moving the tank around though! That's a pain that they make you move twice like that? What's the point of that? If you have to move the tank, I bet a 5 gallon would be pretty manageable. Just get two nice big tupperware type containers with water proof lids and split the water, coral, and fish between them. Those shouldn't be too heavy to carry and then an empty 5 gallon would be pretty light and you could pack all the equipment down in the empty tank.

I'm around until next Thursday and then I'm going to visit my family on the east coast for a while, but I'll be back in early July :) I'd love to do some LFS hopping!

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't put a clown in a 3g. I think that's too small! I would stick to small gobies or something!

Yeah it'd have to be a tiny clown

We'll see what I come across :) I do love gobies

I bet living on campus is convenient! So does the on campus apartment have a size limit on aquariums? I know a lot of dorms do and then the off campus, private apartment I lived in for most of undergrad had a 10 gallon aquarium limit. Granted, I had a 37 gallon fancy goldfish tank and they never said anything, so that's usually flexible :) I love the picos but they just get full so fast and fish options are super limited. I bet something in the 5-10 gallon range would be perfect to give you enough space for some small fish and more coral growth. Also pretty cheap and easy to set up :)

I do understand the hassle of moving the tank around though! That's a pain that they make you move twice like that? What's the point of that? If you have to move the tank, I bet a 5 gallon would be pretty manageable. Just get two nice big tupperware type containers with water proof lids and split the water, coral, and fish between them. Those shouldn't be too heavy to carry and then an empty 5 gallon would be pretty light and you could pack all the equipment down in the empty tank.

I'm around until next Thursday and then I'm going to visit my family on the east coast for a while, but I'll be back in early July :) I'd love to do some LFS hopping!

Yes, it's a 10g limit. But considering how often I have to move my tank, I'd like to stick to something smaller.

I'm actually looking at maybe getting the 6g "Arc" version of this tank. Although I think it's a bowfront style and I prefer flat panes of glass for pictures

I don't know why they're making us move like that, it's like as soon as I unpack everything, I'll have to pack it up again. I'm just glad I'll have my car with me.

Well then we'll definitely have to go when you get back! :)

• Like 3

6 gallons would be a nice size and easy enough to move. I'm not a huge fan of the arched tanks either, but it could be fun on a cute little tank like that. I'll have to go look up some photos of that tank.

That's the best 4th of July picture I've ever seen! :D

:o Great picture! Makes me want a betta again.

Thanks guys :) Hope y'all are having a good 4th!

Beautiful photo and betta! The way his tail is streaming out looks like a flag :)

That's exactly what I was thinking!

• Like 2
gulfsurfer101

They make those things reef safe now? I tore down my 12 long macro tank over the weekend and started running fw! It's fallow at moment because I have no idea what I plan to do with it!

They make those things reef safe now? I tore down my 12 long macro tank over the weekend and started running fw! It's fallow at moment because I have no idea what I plan to do with it!

:o whaaaat aww sad to see the macro go :(

12 longs give you a lot of options!

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

:o whaaaat aww sad to see the macro go :(

12 longs give you a lot of options!

Idk! Been sitting there all fresh water and stuff for like a few days now with just sand and rock. I've been thinking of adding salt back in every day now! Think I'll make it a bare bottom frag tank and just cut a bunch of tile squares up to line it out! I really have no idea say this point lol!
  • Like 1

i ate so many ribs.

so delicious!

Idk! Been sitting there all fresh water and stuff for like a few days now with just sand and rock. I've been thinking of adding salt back in every day now! Think I'll make it a bare bottom frag tank and just cut a bunch of tile squares up to line it out! I really have no idea say this point lol!

Ah well there's no rush!

• Like 2
gulfsurfer101

so delicious!

Ah well there's no rush!

Lol so I caved! It's back to salt and already got some montipora frags and some zoas. I really wanted to get the 3.7 cube from petco but I got the 12l long for free so you can't beat that. I've also been avoiding the beach because of flesh eating bacteria so I haven't been collecting any macro lately. I don't want to be an amputee so I'll stay out till it cools back down.
  • Like 2

Lol so I caved! It's back to salt and already got some montipora frags and some zoas. I really wanted to get the 3.7 cube from petco but I got the 12l long for free so you can't beat that. I've also been avoiding the beach because of flesh eating bacteria so I haven't been collecting any macro lately. I don't want to be an amputee so I'll stay out till it cools back down.

Probably a smart idea... :D

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Probably a smart idea... :D

It's frikken scary! So many thousands of people were at the beach for the 4th of July and there were a few reported cases of vibrio infection. It's horrible. Our city has had three water boil advisories in the last year alone that Erin Brokavich got involved. First you couldn't drink the water here, but now we're advised to not go in it either wtf!
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah it's garbage but at least my tank is rocking again!

Yay for coral! Boo for flesh-eating bacteria

Here's a FTS using my old PAR 30. The gsp and toad look pretty nice under it :)

But of course my macros don't actually stay in the spots I want them to

IMG_9770%2022.jpg

Also,

I have decided I want to upgrade :ninja: (if I can find a tank I like)

I need more room! But I'd like to keep it under 10g (maybe even under 8g) and not have to buy another light fixture. annnndd not be too expensive

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I like the way the toadstool steps out and says "here I am!!!"

I know! I really like it :)

I want to add some more corals, I just don't know which ones. Maybe some orange/red zoas? Acans? Something red or orange to contrast with the GSP and toad

Got home to this tank being a toasty 84*F. Apparently nothing cares because the tank looks the same, but I'm using a fan to bring down the temp now

That's great that nothing is concerned about it, no adverse effects.

Kind surprising, but I guess everything in this tank is pretty hardy

Upgrade Progress

So last night I stayed up late shopping for a new tank :ninja: Then I dreamed about it :lol:

Today I stopped by Petco just to see if they had any neat little tanks. Really the only one I would consider was the standard AGA 5.5g

I thinking maybe go for 5-7g tank glass tank that's more of a rectangular shape. My only issue seems to be finding a rimless one that ISN'T low-iron glass. I think I'm the only person who would rather have regular glass :lol:

If I can't find one at a decent price ($50-60 or under), I might just get the 5.5g and use the rest of my budget for an AquaClear and accessories.

FTS with daylight LEDs coming later today :)

• Like 2