Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Pudge update:

It's a few days into the Prazi treatment, and everything is still doing fine. I ended up not adding an additional pump, but just adjusted the return pump (Minijet 606) for a stronger flow. I haven't caught Pudge pooping out the worms, but he did get skinnier. Today I fed him a lot, and he eat like a champ, like always. I hope he fully recovers :)

Also, the other week he did jump out of the tank when I had the pump off for feeding. Scooped him up and put him back in, he's fine. I kept my unfinished cover on the tank except recently as with the increased surface flow, Pudge doesn't go near the surface when the pump is on.

Here's my very useful fish food holder :lol:

2016-04-24%2015.12.44_1.jpg

• Like 4

Lol one of my regular Stomatella snails started spawning but just as I started recording, it realized no one else was participating and climbed back down :lol: Smudge my black Stomatella was just grazing on the glass and didn't care at all. At least I now know I have at least 1 regular Stomatella in the tank

Didn't read the whole thread, but do you use Scripps NSW water for your tank?

Awesome little tank by the way

Yes I am, although I don't change the water very often. I'm at Scripps 5 days a week so I kinda just grab water whenever

Looking at your username, do you go to (or are an alum) SDSU?

Thank you!

Lol i have one of those shot glasses! lol got it with a ucsd shirt lol, can't drink yet... just kind of a decoration :happy::P

I got it at Birch Aquarium :) I can drink but of the 2 shotglasses I own, I use the Scripps one for fish food and my Humboldt one for succulent clippings :lol: That about sums up how much hard alcohol I drink

• Like 2

I got it at Birch Aquarium :) I can drink but of the 2 shotglasses I own, I use the Scripps one for fish food and my Humboldt one for succulent clippings :lol: That about sums up how much hard alcohol I drink

:lol:

Btw, it's been a while since we've seen pictures of the tank. We demand more cute pictures of Pudge (and Smudge too, of course) :wub:

Yes I am, although I don't change the water very often. I'm at Scripps 5 days a week so I kinda just grab water whenever

Looking at your username, do you go to (or are an alum) SDSU?

Thank you!

Yes, I am a senior at San Diego State, nice observation. I'm up at Scripps quite a bit getting water, it's such a great recourse for us.

:lol:

Btw, it's been a while since we've seen pictures of the tank. We demand more cute pictures of Pudge (and Smudge too, of course) :wub:

Yes I agree! I've been putting it off since the last 2 weeks have been pretty busy for me. Just finished off my midterms so hopefully I can get some good pics this weekend. I need to do some cleaning, but I'm happy with the growth of the macros. The Halimeda in particular has been growing a lot recently. I've also had some filamentous algae pop up, so I need to pick that out.

Pudge is still skinny, and I saw him poop white the other day so I'm thinking about doing another treatment of prazi. He's still eating great though :)

Yes, I am a senior at San Diego State, nice observation. I'm up at Scripps quite a bit getting water, it's such a great recourse for us.

Cool! I'm a 3rd year transfer at UCSD. Some of my SDSU friends have shown me around your campus, it's really nice, I love the architecture

Just curious, do you live on campus or have an off-campus apartment? I'm in an on campus apartment, but I don't have much room for tanks (hence the pico)

Happy late Star Wars Day everyone!

Even though I'm a Trekkie at heart, I had a great day as Padme Amidala

• Like 1
dpoltsdsu

Yes I agree! I've been putting it off since the last 2 weeks have been pretty busy for me. Just finished off my midterms so hopefully I can get some good pics this weekend. I need to do some cleaning, but I'm happy with the growth of the macros. The Halimeda in particular has been growing a lot recently. I've also had some filamentous algae pop up, so I need to pick that out.

Pudge is still skinny, and I saw him poop white the other day so I'm thinking about doing another treatment of prazi. He's still eating great though :)

Cool! I'm a 3rd year transfer at UCSD. Some of my SDSU friends have shown me around your campus, it's really nice, I love the architecture

Just curious, do you live on campus or have an off-campus apartment? I'm in an on campus apartment, but I don't have much room for tanks (hence the pico)

Happy late Star Wars Day everyone!

Even though I'm a Trekkie at heart, I had a great day as Padme Amidala

I live in an apartment off campus. I lived in a fraternity house last year so I moved the tank to my parents house up in Anaheim because fraternity members and reef aquariums don't mesh very well.. lol

• Like 1

I live in an apartment off campus. I lived in a fraternity house last year so I moved the tank to my parents house up in Anaheim because fraternity members and reef aquariums don't mesh very well.. lol

Ah I see, that's nice they can take care of it for you.

Pudge Update:

Last night I got home and didn't see Pudge in his usually sleeping spot. Today I came home to find him dried up on the floor :tears: I had a screen on top, idk how he got out :(

FlowerMama

Oh not Pudge! Geez sorry. Now I worry about my tank. Because of the hob skimmer and filter I won't be able to have the screen sit directly on the tank on the left side & back corner. But, I have no way to cut the screen like a puzzle there to make it work. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Missing Pudge :(

2016-06-03%2011.25.39.jpg

2016-06-03%2011.23.39.jpg

FTSs taken 5/26-5/27. G. hayi and Halimeda have been growing nicely. I trimmed back the Dictyota cause it started trying to attach to all the surrounding macros.

Moving back to the bay next week for summer, excited to finally go home and see my cats :lol:

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about Pudge :( You'll have to find a different tiny fish to try in there.

The FTS's look great! Those algaes are really growing for you and it looks so nice and filled in. Are you going to be in a dorm again for next school year, or are you getting an apartment? If you're getting an apartment, I think its time for an upgrade! :D:lol:

I'm sure you're excited to be done with your first year and have some time off for summer. What are your plans for the summer? Let me know if you're planning any fish store trips and maybe we can meet up to say hi.

Sorry to hear about Pudge :( You'll have to find a different tiny fish to try in there.

The FTS's look great! Those algaes are really growing for you and it looks so nice and filled in. Are you going to be in a dorm again for next school year, or are you getting an apartment? If you're getting an apartment, I think its time for an upgrade! :D:lol:

I'm sure you're excited to be done with your first year and have some time off for summer. What are your plans for the summer? Let me know if you're planning any fish store trips and maybe we can meet up to say hi.

I'm actually in an apartment right now, it's just on campus and came furnished, hence the tiny desk. I'll be in another on-campus apartment next year, but I'll have my own room and a bigger desk. I am also interested in upgrading. I feel kinda bad for wanting to upgrade so soon (I've never actually upgraded a tank, just gotten more :lol:) but I would like the extra space.

My biggest concern is transporting it. I found for the first 2 weeks I'm back I'll be living in different apartments on campus, then move to my permanent one. So that's going to be really annoying to pack up my tank twice within two weeks.

Ooo or maybe I could just get a second tank :ninja:

Oh I definitely can't wait to get back and go LFS hopping!! I'll definitely let you know when I go :)

Are there any fish that you're interested in right now?

Hm, I can't really think of one that I really want at the moment. Still kinda thinking about getting a clown, although if I do upgrade, that could expand my options

• Like 3