Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

I made it through finals week, and everything made it through the 8hr drive on Saturday! (Made pretty good time!)

Finally it's Christmas break so I can relax and play with my tank more :)

• Like 6
RIP Sebastian

I made it through finals week, and everything made it through the 8hr drive on Saturday! (Made pretty good time!)

Finally it's Christmas break so I can relax and play with my tank more :)

Glad to hear it!

• 1 month later...

Tank and livestock made it safely back to SD last week! Before I left my boss gave me a bunch of yumas and acans so I have a bunch of frags on the sand I haven't placed yet. I went to my 2 local LFS yesterday and picked up a little orange Fungia plate coral (despite my lack of space on the sand lol). I've always wanted a little one and finally justified the purchase since I know I won't be moving the tank again for another 5-6 months. I also picked up some plants and tetras for my little betta tank.

Pocky the clownfish is still doing good, and is still as cute as ever. I thought about getting him a fishy friend, but idk if he would steal all the food away from a goby. The 2nd LFS had a bunch of very healthy-looking gold neon gobies.

The only sad news, my Nass snail died :( I know he's just a snail, but he's been with me through at least 3 tank transfers over the years. He liked hang out on the glass in my old 10g, and liked to be hand-fed in my old 3.7g. I noticed when I moved the tank back to SD that he wasn't moving around much at all. At one point I thought he was dead, and went to go wash his shell in the sink but he proved he was still alive, just barely. Yesterday I checked his shell again and found the bristleworms were cleaning it out. I'm going to keep his shell as a memory of my past tanks.

I changed the position of my AC filter, from the side of the tank to the back, but I think I might change it back, or get a small powerhead. It's providing great flow to one side of the tank, and the other side is barely getting anything. I have a K1 sitting around, but it's a bit big for this tank. Maybe a K-nano would work?

I was going to take some cell phone pics for a quick update, but my phone decided to stop working :( It's at a fix it shop over the weekend, hopefully they can fix it for not too much $$$ cause my mom just finished paying it off (she got it for my 21st birthday).

Maybe this means I have to actually use my DSLR :lol: I'll try to get some pics of the new frags

• Like 7

Pics under just the PAR 30 bulb (mostly blue/purple color)

IMG_0511re.jpg

IMG_0513re.jpg

I still haven't re-placed everything from the move, obviously

I moved the AC back to the left side of the tank, but I'm still not really happy with the flow. Next LFS trip I'll probably pickup a small powerhead. I should head back over there soon, cause my phone is at a fix it shop nearby :D

• Like 9

Yeah my boss is pretty cool. I've known him for several years, from before I started working for him

Got a K-Nano today, man it is tiny compared to my K1. I was surprised this tiny thing costs $30. I'll plug it in tomorrow and probably plug it into my light timer, so it will turn off at night.

Sad news, they say my phone's motherboard is a goner :( They want $150 to replace it. But my mom called Samsung and she wants me to send it in to them cause they might replace it or fix it for less. So I'm going to call them this weekend and see if I need to ship it off to them. Sigh. It's hard to live without a phone nowadays! So many of my friends have texted me and thought I ignored them

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Pics under just the PAR 30 bulb (mostly blue/purple color)

IMG_0511re.jpg

IMG_0513re.jpg

I still haven't re-placed everything from the move, obviously

I moved the AC back to the left side of the tank, but I'm still not really happy with the flow. Next LFS trip I'll probably pickup a small powerhead. I should head back over there soon, cause my phone is at a fix it shop nearby :D

Lovely new additions! Back when I had a 5.5 (the first time lol) I put my AC (I think it was a 20) on the back and a powerhead on the left. Gave it a nice mix of flow.

I read through your 10g thread (yep, the entire 153 pages lol) and the adorable 1.6g as well as this one for advice/information/inspiration regarding macros. I love the cream colored gorg! I can't remember now if you said whether it's NPS or photosynthetic?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

*slowly emerges from shadows*

Hi guys, obviously I haven't been active on here recently, so I figure I'd share why (don't worry, it's a good reason!)

As you may or may not know, I'm currently a senior college student, who will be graduating in June :) I'm a marine biology major (no surprise there). This school year I started my own research project with two coral reef labs at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. I love it, it's about algae, and how important algae can be for reefs :) I applied and got accepted to present my research at the 24th Hawaiian Conservation Conference in Honolulu!! So because of this project and the conference, I spend most of my free time in lab, leading to a lack of NR activity :(

2017_HCC_Web_Banner_1_996x360.jpg

My tank is still just chugging along, I haven't added anything new in a long time. My roommates love to feed Pocky and are still oddly obsessed with "those pink worms" (bristleworms) :lol:

• Like 13
Weetabix7
39 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Hi guys, obviously I haven't been active on here recently, so I figure I'd share why (don't worry, it's a good reason!)

As you may or may not know, I'm currently a senior college student, who will be graduating in June :) I'm a marine biology major (no surprise there). This school year I started my own research project with two coral reef labs at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. I love it, it's about algae, and how important algae can be for reefs :) I applied and got accepted to present my research at the 24th Hawaiian Conservation Conference in Honolulu!! So because of this project and the conference, I spend most of my free time in lab, leading to a lack of NR activity :(

My tank is still just chugging along, I haven't added anything new in a long time. My roommates love to feed Pocky and are still oddly obsessed with "those pink worms" (bristleworms) :lol:

What an amazing and exciting accomplishment, and a most excellent reason to be gone from here for a bit, congratulations!!!!!

Nice to see you poke your head in and say Hi. :)

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, yoshii said:

It's a Yoshii sighting! :lol:  Playing with macros?  I think we can give you a pass this time. ;)

In all seriousness, that's a pretty awesome accomplishment!  Congratulations!  I am sure you're glad to see the end is in sight. :)  Do you have plans for grad school?

Looking forward to seeing how things have grown in the tank since your last pics!

22 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

What an amazing and exciting accomplishment, and a most excellent reason to be gone from here for a bit, congratulations!!!!!

Nice to see you poke your head in and say Hi. :)

Hi Weets! Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's a Yoshii sighting! :lol:  Playing with macros?  I think we can give you a pass this time. ;)

In all seriousness, that's a pretty awesome accomplishment!  Congratulations!  I am sure you're glad to see the end is in sight. :)  Do you have plans for grad school?

Looking forward to seeing how things have grown in the tank since your last pics!

Haha, those are becoming quite rare nowadays!

Thank you! I'll actually be continuing my project for my Master's at Scripps :) After that, I don't have concrete plans, but I will probably either pursue my PhD or aim for a job at a public aquarium (currently leaning towards the latter)

• Like 3
Weetabix7
6 hours ago, yoshii said:

Hi Weets! Thank you!

Thank you! I'll actually be continuing my project for my Master's at Scripps :) After that, I don't have concrete plans, but I will probably either pursue my PhD or aim for a job at a public aquarium (currently leaning towards the latter)

Oh, by the way, that Alf Nilsen book with my little 4g Macro Pico in it did finally get published, but behind the scenes issues caused delays and they finally decided to only publish it in German in Europe. 

And I've been getting back into keeping Macros again, which I'm really enjoying. :happydance:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh, by the way, that Alf Nilsen book with my little 4g Macro Pico in it did finally get published, but behind the scenes issues caused delays and they finally decided to only publish it in German in Europe. 

And I've been getting back into keeping Macros again, which I'm really enjoying. :happydance:

Nice! The Das Korallenriff-Aquarium - Band 2 (The Coral Reef Aquarium Vol. 2) got published and they sent a copy to my house, but it's also in German. Apparently it's a 490 page hard cover o.o. I'll get to flip through it when I go home in summer. What is the title of the book your pico is in?

KA-2-2016.jpg

Yay! It's always fun to get excited about macros/reefing again :) I'll have to check out your tank thread again

I wish I could order macros here, but due to extra processing days for school mail, I don't want to risk it

• Like 1
Weetabix7
7 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Nice! The Das Korallenriff-Aquarium - Band 2 (The Coral Reef Aquarium Vol. 2) got published and they sent a copy to my house, but it's also in German. Apparently it's a 490 page hard cover o.o. I'll get to flip through it when I go home in summer. What is the title of the book your pico is in?

KA-2-2016.jpg

Yay! It's always fun to get excited about macros/reefing again :) I'll have to check out your tank thread again

I wish I could order macros here, but due to extra processing days for school mail, I don't want to risk it

That's the one!! My tank is on pg. 467. 

There are some pics of various Macros that I took on a few other pages. 

21 hours ago, yoshii said:

Hi Weets! Thank you!

Working at an aquarium would be rad!  My dad wanted to go to one last week for his birthday.  They had a young sea turtle there!  He'd been hit by a speed boat and his shell damaged.  Had him and a bunch of sharks and rays in this massive like 115,000 gallon tank, it was awesome lol.

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2017 at 6:03 PM, Weetabix7 said:

That's the one!! My tank is on pg. 467. 

There are some pics of various Macros that I took on a few other pages. 

Mine is on pg 473 :) My tank looked so ugly back then lol

I really wish I could read it! It looks like it has some really great info on macros

8 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Mine is on pg 473 :) My tank looked so ugly back then lol

I really wish I could read it! It looks like it has some really great info on macros

I know, right??

But hey, guess what, I'm starting an Experimental Macro Tank in a 40B!!

Enough about me, how are things in your Universe?

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I know, right??

But hey, guess what, I'm starting an Experimental Macro Tank in a 40B!!

Enough about me, how are things in your Universe?

Oooh! Do you have a thread?

I'm actually about to post a little life update in  a few :)

• Like 2