inTank Media Baskets

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

what about the Fluval Spec V?

I've looked at that one, and I feel picky saying this, but I just really don't like the silver egde/frame on the two "end" corners

• Like 1

I've looked at that one, and I feel picky saying this, but I just really don't like the silver egde/frame on the two "end" corners

haha, totally understandable. i am not a huge fan either but it looks better with my white edge / frame.

haha, totally understandable. i am not a huge fan either but it looks better with my white edge / frame.

And your scape definitely improves the tank :P

Yay for the upgrade! But why no low iron glass?

I want to be able to clean my tank with a razor blade without scratching it

• Like 1

And your scape definitely improves the tank :P

I want to be able to clean my tank with a razor blade without scratching it

Ah, that makes sense!

That combo shot is actually pretty cool. All coral vendors should post similar shots of what they are selling!

Haha thank you! I forgot which vendor, somewhere in FL I think, but they had 2 pics of each coral, one with blues only, and one with "normal" white/blue. But I can imagine that's a pain for larger retailers

Holy mackerel! The tank looks amazing! The fluorescent green is strong with this one

Thanks!! Yeah the toad and GSP really steal the show. I want to get something red or orange for some variety/contrast

Just did a mini photoshoot with the tank. Some fun algae facts with pics coming soon

Might also stop by a LFS tomorrow to see if they have any small glass tanks. I'm getting pretty excited about this upgrade :)

• Like 3

Yesterday I visited 2 LFSs looking for potential tanks...and come home with two acans instead

I saw this awesome giant black tunicate, but it was $25 :(

One of the tanks I was looking at was a nice 7g, but it was $80 :o way too pricey for me.

I might stop by 1 more LFS to check out tanks, or else I'll probably get the standard 5.5g

• Like 2

Here's the daylight shot

IMG_9896%2022.jpg

Since it's a new page, here's the "blue" shot

IMG_9770%2022.jpg

And the "combo" :P

IMG_9770%20combo%20pic.jpg

Yoshiii,

Gorgeous pictures. Your skills of aquascaping are outstanding. No mater what tank you get, it will be gorgeous.

• Like 1

Yoshiii,

Gorgeous pictures. Your skills of aquascaping are outstanding. No mater what tank you get, it will be gorgeous.

Subsea!! Glad you see you on here :)

Aww thank you for the kind words

Never seen a tunicate for sale, but seen a few in some sick NPS tanks online :P Good luck with finding a new tank :D

I took a few pics, I'll have to post them soon! The tunicate was actually a HH on a sponge rock, but the sponge had died so the LFS was asking $25 cause that's what they paid for the sponge

Thank you! Hopefully next week I can make the trip of a different (farther) LFS that has a huge store, mostly stocked with dry goods and I'll see if I can find a tank there. However I'm really leaning towards the standard 5.5g simply cause it's waaay cheaper

• Like 1

I had an interesting chat on reef central about using Grape Caulerpa as a fast growing macro. Before the ink was dry, someone responded about eating grape Caulerpa with lime juice and a shrimp dip.

It is such a wonderful hobby. I have recently aquacultered red grapes for local retail distribution and paid my electric bill. Because I am a Cajun with gaudy color test, I have decided to grow Grape Caulerpa and Red Grapes in my 150G lagoon display. If the grapes grow as fast as other Caulerpa's, I may try Grape Caulerpa seaweed salad.

Fun Algae Fact #1 :) (Cited Source)

Did you know Halimeda only grows at night? This is because the new segments are soft and much easier to eat, and at night there are less herbivores roaming around. Halimeda also pumps extra anti-herbivore compounds into this new segments for extra protection (although this doesn't stop the Halimeda Sea Slug Elysiella pusilla).

IMG_9909.jpg

Here's some Halimeda in my tank, on the left side. A few months ago I accidentally added to much Alk (it went up to 14!) but the Halimeda just took off, I've pruned it since then.

• Like 5

I had an interesting chat on reef central about using Grape Caulerpa as a fast growing macro. Before the ink was dry, someone responded about eating grape Caulerpa with lime juice and a shrimp dip.

It is such a wonderful hobby. I have recently aquacultered red grapes for local retail distribution and paid my electric bill. Because I am a Cajun with gaudy color test, I have decided to grow Grape Caulerpa and Red Grapes in my 150G lagoon display. If the grapes grow as fast as other Caulerpa's, I may try Grape Caulerpa seaweed salad.

Haha yeah it's a common food in the Philippines!

Red grape is such a beautiful macro. I'm not sure I have any left in this tank. After moving 4 times in 9 months I think my small pieces got broken up. I'll probably pick up some more once I'm back in San Diego. I've always loved displays with a huge bush of red grape

The grape definitely grows as fast as other Caulerpa, don't worry about that haha

Halimeda is really cool, there's a lot of stuff out there that only lives on it :P the ocean is a wierd place

Yeah Halimeda pipefish are one of my favorite pipefish, they are so ridiculous!

LFS Adventures

Here's some pics from a LFS I went to the other day.

There was this super cute little tank sitting on a shelf. It was a little small (see my hand for scale) but I really liked the dims

I could see all the shallow pico possibilities!

20160728_163011.jpg

One of my favorite fish! Last time I saw this tail-less Blue Tang he was a good inch or two smaller! It swims with its pectoral fins, like a large wrasse!

I hope he lives forever because one day when I get a big tank, I want this fish

20160728_164850.jpg

20160728_164855.jpg

And here was the tunicate I wanted, look at how big it was! Cleaner shrimp for scale

20160728_165446.jpg

Also...I'm getting more excited about this upgrade and it's causing me to get more stuff from the LFS :ninja:

There was a new gorg that I couldn't resist. It's tan/peachy with white polyps! Here's a pic in the bag today, it's a lot fluffier in the tank

20160730_185043.jpg

• Like 8

Awww, that tang is so cute, I can see why you want to adopt him some day. Nice pickup on the gorg, it's going to look really nice with the all the other macros in your tank.

So did you get that little tank???

• Like 1

So did you get that little tank???

Ah no, it was too small. I think it was only around 2.5-3g. Also, I asked about it but I don't think they wanted to sell it.

• Like 1

Ah no, it was too small. I think it was only around 2.5-3g. Also, I asked about it but I don't think they wanted to sell it.

Ah, oh well. Keep looking!

Ah, oh well. Keep looking!

Yep! The next free day I have I want to drive over to a store that's around a bit farther away to check out their tanks (and coral of course!). They're the largest fish store in NorCal, mostly because they have every tank or dry good you could ever want. I might also try to check out another small LFS that I've never been to.

• Like 4

Yep! The next free day I have I want to drive over to a store that's around a bit farther away to check out their tanks (and coral of course!). They're the largest fish store in NorCal, mostly because they have every tank or dry good you could ever want. I might also try to check out another small LFS that I've never been to.

Yoshii,

You are hooked. When are you going to start school in San Diego? Is there a tank size limit for dorm life?

Yoshii,

You are hooked. When are you going to start school in San Diego? Is there a tank size limit for dorm life?

Haha yeah...

I'm going back (a bit earlier than normal) in late August. Yes, there is a 10g limit. Also I think you're only supposed to have 1 tank, but I want to set up a small planted tank for my betta so we'll see how I can sneak that in.

I don't want to get a 10g because I'll be moving the tank a minimum of 5 times in the next 10 months :( I want something small that can fit on my desk and is also easy to breakdown and transport

• Like 4