Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

»Background & Goals«

If you have been following my other threads, you might know I'm about to move to San Diego for school and have to break down my current tanks. I'll only be able to keep a small pico.

A little bittersweet, but I just realized it's been 5 years since I started a new reef, so I'm very excited to be starting my second pico tank!

I would like for my 10g macro/gorg tank and my 3g pico reef to live on in this tank. My goal is to have a mix of my favorite macro algae, gorgs, along with some cool softies and maybe an LPS or two.

The fish plan will be revealed soon :ninja:

»The Tank«

I picked up the Petco brand 3.7 Cubic glass AIO tank, it seems like a pretty nice little tank! The back chambers are bigger than I'd thought they'd be, but they stuffed quite a bit of filtration media back there.

The display portion looks smaller than my current 3g pico, but I guess it's just the cube shape that makes it look that way.

»Inspiration«

Zia's 50g Macro/Softie Tank

newy%20fts_zpsdz6jztbf.jpg

razami's 40g Softie Tank

fulltankshot.jpg

»Equipment So Far«

-Mini-Jet 606 Return Pump (replacing stock pump)

Looking forward to sharing another tank's journey with you guys!

-Christina

IMG_8485resized.jpg

I need you to to become a model for my AIO MICRO-REEFS system dorm college tank.

Love that photo of yours holding that system

• Like 1

You'll love SD, I was there for my 1st 3 years in the Navy. You'll never have to worry about social events dying down because there is ALWAYS something going on every weekend there, wife and I really miss SD.

Eh, not so much on campus. After 2 weeks, everyone is too busy studying. Guess that's why it's called UCSocially Dead :lol:

I don't mind either way, as long as I have a place to study quietly

I need you to to become a model for my AIO MICRO-REEFS system dorm college tank.

Love that photo of yours holding that system

Haha thanks Mike! You need to make an AIO Micro-Reefs dorm tank! :P

• Like 2

Thanks! Yeah its pretty different, but it's still beautiful! Went to the beach today and spent most of the time in the water cause it was so warm

What's your current major?

I'm probably going to try to do research

n

Yeah I think so. My problem is getting Rodi

Thanks!

i am microbio but i wanted to do something like microbio in the marine environment...don't know how that would work course-wise though

aanyways study hard and gl

can I swing by and steal your corals?

I don't even have that many!

Although I'm about to bus over to Aqua SD, we'll see if I find anything cool :)

i am microbio but i wanted to do something like microbio in the marine environment...don't know how that would work course-wise though

aanyways study hard and gl

There's some marine microbiology courses here, and ucsb is also good for marine stuff. You could always just take some courses for fun

I need to ask my Marne bio prof if ucsd still offers an ichthyology course...I'm not finding it in the course catalog :tears: :tears: :tears:

Thanks, you too!

• Like 1

I don't even have that many!

Although I'm about to bus over to Aqua SD, we'll see if I find anything cool :)

theyre closed on mondays. Im about to go to aquatic warehouse

I need to ask my Marne bio prof if ucsd still offers an ichthyology course...I'm not finding it in the course catalog :tears: :tears: :tears:

Thanks, you too!

also look at SIO for this

theyre closed on mondays. Im about to go to aquatic warehouse

also look at SIO for this

Who closes on a monday?? Thanks for letting me know, I'll go to aquatic warehouse instead

Yeah I did, it's not listed :(

Whatcha think about the warehouse? I have never been a fan of the coral selection there. But it is a great store for fish and all the things to make your tank work. Have you considered buying a small RO/DI unit? I think the RO buddie is like $60 and you can add a DI canister to it.

Whatcha think about the warehouse? I have never been a fan of the coral selection there. But it is a great store for fish and all the things to make your tank work. Have you considered buying a small RO/DI unit? I think the RO buddie is like $60 and you can add a DI canister to it.

They have note plumbing parts than Home Depot!

I picked up some carbon, mysis, algae, and a monti. Oh and I awkwardly got some ro water in 2 fish bags because I don't have a 5g jug and even if I did, there's no way I'd carry it all the way back to my dorm. The way back took me around 1.5 hrs (not counting stopping for dinner) and 3 or 4 different buses :(

Having an Rodi unit would be great, but there's no way they'll let me hook one up in my dorm.

I'm thinking that 6" pipe would fill a 5g bucket in about 2secs. :ninja:

They'll never miss it ;)

Oh man, I wish!!

I am so behind! I think we're in the same boat being really busy with school. Glad to see the tank made it to San Diego ok! I hope school is off to a good start!

I'm behind too, I've basically only been checking this thread (on my phone). Thanks, the tank seems to be doing ok :) Good luck with all your school/work stuff too!
  • Like 1

Eh, not so much on campus. After 2 weeks, everyone is too busy studying. Guess that's why it's called UCSocially Dead :lol:

I don't mind either way, as long as I have a place to study quietly

SD has a really good public transportation system with the trollies and buses you can get dam near everywhere. Get out to Mission Beach and go to the Wave House, great bar on the beach and just a super chill spot. OH if you get a chance go to OB Noodle House in Ocean Beach, order anything on the menu and you will NOT be disappointed, I promise you! TON of really good Indian food places downtown in the Gas Lamp District.

If you get a chance to go snorkeling or diving get out to La Jolla and there is some really good snorkeling and shore diving out there, I went dozens of times and never got tired of it. Man, makes me miss it there more now haha

• Like 1
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SD has a really good public transportation system with the trollies and buses you can get dam near everywhere. Get out to Mission Beach and go to the Wave House, great bar on the beach and just a super chill spot. OH if you get a chance go to OB Noodle House in Ocean Beach, order anything on the menu and you will NOT be disappointed, I promise you! TON of really good Indian food places downtown in the Gas Lamp District.

If you get a chance to go snorkeling or diving get out to La Jolla and there is some really good snorkeling and shore diving out there, I went dozens of times and never got tired of it. Man, makes me miss it there more now haha

I go diving a lot and la jolla is my fav except for hawaii

Wow! I'm just getting caught up here, but congrats on the move to UCSD! All this talk of SD brings me down memory lane: I was there for school until 2011, and I met my wife there as well. We used to go all over the coast between classes or on weekends, biking or driving from Del Mar (swanky ocean view restaurants) to SIO/Birch Aquarium/La Jolla/Bird Rock (good coffee) and Pacific Beach (In-N-Out, Costco, etc.), to Fashion Valley (where I got her engagement ring). Such a great place to build up fond memories, as so many have already said. We're now in norcal/Walnut Creek, though.

From the tone of your posts, it really sounds like you are initiative-driven and a confident do-er. In my experience, SD is very conducive to personal growth for your type, for those who seek it. Definitely utilize all the 'free' resources while you're there--they're much easier to come by than anything/everything I've experienced in norcal so far. Check out UCSD Extension's programs, too. During my last quarter there, they got rid of the 'free course voucher per quarter' deal, but I believe they still offer a pretty significant ($$$) discount voucher per quarter for a course of your choosing. For example, I found and took the IP Law certificate program every quarter my last year + summer there, and had a blast. I eventually utilized it to jump start my career in IP/patent law. I'm now a registered patent agent.

Transportation: if possible, avoid the buses if you're planning on traveling anywhere outside of La Jolla. The excessive waiting and travel time just makes it not worth it (as you've experienced!). There are plenty of people with vehicles (unlike in Norcal, where ridesharing seems to be more popular than a driver's license), and chances are, you'll meet some good folks who make weekly trips to an LFS (I was a driver during my time there).

When you move off campus, note that you might start utilizing 99 Ranch/Zion market grocery runs as an excuse to visit Aqua SD. This is a normal condition. Yes, they should still have RO/DI, we paid 25 cents per gal back then, and reused old Sparkletts 1 gal water bottles (bad lid, bad idea in hindsight).

Have fun and be safe!

You wouldn't be able to get close enough to the tank on the back of the desk with a tripod anyway :)

And yes, now that we know there are pictures in that camera, please upload them here :wub:

• Like 2

Having an Rodi unit would be great, but there's no way they'll let me hook one up in my dorm.

You can still do it, I've done it in my apartment. When I leave I will be able to remove the RODI unit without any permanent changes to the apartment plumbing. For the feedwater line get a faucet adapter. They look like this and screw on to the end of your faucet:

552_std_1427361402.png

For your waste water, you can just let it drain down your sink. You don't need to pierce your water drain pipe.

• Like 4

Surfing NR is the best way to kill time in between classes lol (well, that and studying..), do it all the time.

Lol same! I take shuttles to classes, so it's the perfect time for NR on my phone

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I've heard about the noodle house place

I want to take some snorkel tours. hopefully I can fit that in somewhere

I go diving a lot and la jolla is my fav except for hawaii

Sounds like I need to go :)

Wow! I'm just getting caught up here, but congrats on the move to UCSD! All this talk of SD brings me down memory lane: I was there for school until 2011, and I met my wife there as well. We used to go all over the coast between classes or on weekends, biking or driving from Del Mar (swanky ocean view restaurants) to SIO/Birch Aquarium/La Jolla/Bird Rock (good coffee) and Pacific Beach (In-N-Out, Costco, etc.), to Fashion Valley (where I got her engagement ring). Such a great place to build up fond memories, as so many have already said. We're now in norcal/Walnut Creek, though.

From the tone of your posts, it really sounds like you are initiative-driven and a confident do-er. In my experience, SD is very conducive to personal growth for your type, for those who seek it. Definitely utilize all the 'free' resources while you're there--they're much easier to come by than anything/everything I've experienced in norcal so far. Check out UCSD Extension's programs, too. During my last quarter there, they got rid of the 'free course voucher per quarter' deal, but I believe they still offer a pretty significant ($$$) discount voucher per quarter for a course of your choosing. For example, I found and took the IP Law certificate program every quarter my last year + summer there, and had a blast. I eventually utilized it to jump start my career in IP/patent law. I'm now a registered patent agent.

Transportation: if possible, avoid the buses if you're planning on traveling anywhere outside of La Jolla. The excessive waiting and travel time just makes it not worth it (as you've experienced!). There are plenty of people with vehicles (unlike in Norcal, where ridesharing seems to be more popular than a driver's license), and chances are, you'll meet some good folks who make weekly trips to an LFS (I was a driver during my time there).

When you move off campus, note that you might start utilizing 99 Ranch/Zion market grocery runs as an excuse to visit Aqua SD. This is a normal condition. Yes, they should still have RO/DI, we paid 25 cents per gal back then, and reused old Sparkletts 1 gal water bottles (bad lid, bad idea in hindsight).

Have fun and be safe!

Sounds like you had a great time here!

I just went down to the beach after class yesterday, it was great! I almost stepped on a skate :lol:

Weekly LFS trips sound cool, although I'd only feel safe if riding with some other ladies, so sounds like I need to make some more lady reefer friends :)

Zion market is so great lol everything is so cheap!!

Thanks for all the tips!

You wouldn't be able to get close enough to the tank on the back of the desk with a tripod anyway :)

And yes, now that we know there are pictures in that camera, please upload them here :wub:

That's true, but then I would have just scooted the tank forwards :P

Kinda went to the beach instead of editing those pics...:o

P1100292.jpg

You can still do it, I've done it in my apartment. When I leave I will be able to remove the RODI unit without any permanent changes to the apartment plumbing. For the feedwater line get a faucet adapter. They look like this and screw on to the end of your faucet:

552_std_1427361402.png

For your waste water, you can just let it drain down your sink. You don't need to pierce your water drain pipe.

There's 5 girls sharing 2 sinks...so maybe not

But thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll do that when I move off-campus next year

At risk of sounding dumb, it's cool that you put your hand or fingers in some of your shots, really gives a size perspective.

I don't think that sounds dumb? Thanks, that's what I'm aiming for :)

Nice tripod lol

:lol: thank you!

• Like 5