Top Shelf Aquatics

Aqueon 40g Breeder Drillable?

Hig789

Just wanting to confirm this? Our local petsmart has the Aqueon 40g for $40. I've read on quit a few different threads that the Aqueons are drillable just wanted to be sure before I bought one.

I drilled two holes in the back of mine no problem. I have heard the bottoms could be tempered glass though, so I wouldn't gamble on that if you aren't sure, you can't drill tempered glass.

I drilled two holes in the back of mine no problem. I have heard the bottoms could be tempered glass though, so I wouldn't gamble on that if you aren't sure, you can't drill tempered glass.

Yeah the back is what I was planning on drilling. This is the first time they have had them in stock when I have checked. Going to go ahead and get a 20l also for the sump. The 40's don't have a center brace do they? You have a pic of the over flow on yours?

Yeah the back is what I was planning on drilling. This is the first time they have had them in stock when I have checked. Going to go ahead and get a 20l also for the sump. The 40's don't have a center brace do they? You have a pic of the over flow on yours?

They do not have a center brace.

I started building a surface skimming PVC overflow, but ended up selling the tank before testing it out. I used a CPR overflow box after that and got lazy about drilling another tank. I found a lot of good info on this site and Reef Central about drilling and DIY overflows, but honestly you can't beat a reef ready tank. Get a CPR box and an airlifter and save yourself the hassle maybe? I ran one on a 40 breeder and a 20L for years without issue.

Plan on going with a bean animal overflow. Not something I am going to do right now anyways. Just went ahead and bought them since they had them and n stock for once.

I got my 40 from Petco's $/ gallon sale. Pretty sure it mas Aqueon. I drilled the back for a BeanAnimal with an almost coast-to-coast overflow. There should be a sticker in the tank on the bottom that says "do not drill bottom - tempered glass" Only the bottom is tempered. I would go with a 29 gallon for the sump however. I bought a 20L to use originally and after doing some calculations, realized it was not going to work very well. Lot's of people use 20Ls, but for $9/9 gallons more, you get a tank with the same footprint but 6" taller. The 20L was going to barely hold all of the water that ran out of the display during a pump shut-off. Plus you have to find a skimmer that will work in the right water depth. I also would have had very little water in my return chamber and a really short fuge. 29 gallon just worked better for me. IME.

Well a 29 wasn't a option at petsmart. They only have 10, 20l and 40b. And I already bought them. Man this 40b is a very very nice size tank. Probably not going to do a full coast to coast overflow.

My overflow stops 6" short on one end with an end cap. That's where my return comes thru. So, technically, I only lost 3" of weir length. overflow is 3" x 3" or 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" can't remember right off.

My overflow stops 6" short on one end with an end cap. That's where my return comes thru. So, technically, I only lost 3" of weir length. overflow is 3" x 3" or 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" can't remember right off.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I was debating on a 18" overflow. Haven't really got that far yet though.

Also have been looking at the reef octopus int 110 as the internal skimmer for the sump. Only needs around 7" of water to run so hopefully that will give me some extra room for the water volume when the return pump is shut off.

Oh you all jogged my memory, I did do a Bean Animal coast to coast overflow originally, but I never got to test it before selling the tank.

I used a 29 for a sump and it just barely held all the drainage if the power was out. That was with a CPR overflow though and it sat deeper in the water. Hopefully a 20l will be sufficient.

I used a Reef Octopus BH 100 in my sump and it was awesome. I had to set it on a plastic stand to get it out of the water enough to work properly, but the extra volume in the 29 was nice.

Looking forward to watching this build.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got to looks my at the tank tonight and noticed this sticker. No other sticks on it referring to the glass. Anyone drilled on that says this? I assume they put this there just to cover their asses. The 20L has nothing on it saying not to drill it though, wasn't planning on drilling it just a observation.

post-82754-0-10604700-1442208320_thumb.jpg

Archived