Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clown fish Compatibility

Nathaniel Z

What Clown fish can be with which? I want a Picasso, Cinnamon, snowflake, and maybe a golden nugget. Can each species be with their own and the other species? Please inform me.

Thx!

In a nano, a single mate of the same species (typically introduced as a much smaller juvenile) can be kept. Other species are usually not tolerated well long term. Picasso is A. percula and snowflake is A. ocellaris.

Designer clowns of the same species, like Picasso or Snowflake clowns, have unusual patterns that are encouraged by selective breeding. This is generally different than hybrid species. Often hybrids are the result of accidental cross fertilization.

I believe that I've read a couple of threads where a True Perc and False Perc were kept in the same tank. However, as a general rule, mates should be of the same species to avoid aggression.

Here are a few interesting articles:

You also only want one pair per tank (general rule) the female will become very territorial. You can keep groups, but its generally not advised unless you know what you're doing and have a dedicated tank. Designer clownfisj, like seabass said, can be thought of as different colors of the same breed. You can have a black greyhound (say snowflake clown) and a brindle greyhound (say a davinci clown) and they are both greyhounds (ocellaris) but neither are a white saluki (a picasso which is a true percula) or a black borzoi (a gold nugget which is a maroon clown) Even though they all belong to the sighthound family.

The answer is they most likely won't hybrid. They most likely won't cohabitat unless they are the same species of clownfish.

Archived