inTank Media Baskets

20 gallon long reef, not going so great!

GayFishie

Hi! I'm Bristle diet (Bridget, best autocorrect mistake ever so Imma leave it there) I'm 18 and the proud owner of a ten gallon freshwater and a 20 gallon saltwater reef. My reef has a aqueon 30 hob filter, a aqueon heater, a sunsun 530 gph wavemaker, ten pounds of live sand (I like a thin layer of sand, personal preference) 13 pounds of high-quality dry rock (not dry anymore, lol) and 5 pounds of live rock and a 72 watt evo led light. I have a paly, some zoas, a kenya tree, a hammer coral, a green mushroom, a ricordia mushroom and some xenia. The animals in the tank are a coral banded shrimp, two small hermit crabs and two margarita snails. Tank is about four months old.

Wow, it's really hard to upload. I can're upload from my phone, says the file is to big. Had to jump through hoops to post this one picture. Anyways, the jar is to shield a mushroom that has been having trouble attaching to rocks from the flow in the tank

Wow, it's really hard to upload. I can're upload from my phone, says the file is to big. Had to jump through hoops to post this one picture. Anyways, the jar is to shield a mushroom that has been having trouble attaching to rocks from the flow in the tank

post-88948-0-68461600-1440808895_thumb.jpg

charnelhouse

Interesting handle. And thread title. And Bristle diet is a great DYAC. It's what you feed your bristleworm.

As far as pics go, uploading them to a site like photobucket then using the [/img] tag works a lot easier than doing it through the site. Unless you are a supporter :)

What's not going so good, looks like you have some algae, but that's not the end of the world.

All of your inhabitants doing ok? Staying alive?

Some algae? haha. It's a nightmare, my little cuc of 4 is useless against it. It spreads rapidly everyday and covers everything. As far as the post title I completely forgot to include my issue of why it's not going well ,along with the algae my corals open and close several times a day and I accident butcher my xenia trying to get it of the rock chip it was outgrowing and onto a new rock. I lost a hermit crab for no apparent reason as my coral banded shrimp is fed a pellet or two a day to keep her full and my levels are stable

charnelhouse

Some algae? haha. It's a nightmare, my little cuc of 4 is useless against it. It spreads rapidly everyday and covers everything. As far as the post title I completely forgot to include my issue of why it's not going well ,along with the algae my corals open and close several times a day and I accident butcher my xenia trying to get it of the rock chip it was outgrowing and onto a new rock. I lost a hermit crab for no apparent reason as my coral banded shrimp is fed a pellet or two a day to keep her full and my levels are stable

Some additional pictures and info, such as water parameters, might assist the reefing geniuses (I mean that in all seriousness, and definitely not counting myself amongst them) around here to help you out.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/Bridget_Caltagirone/embed/slideshow/">

I actually have been looking at reefcleaners, I already contacted him about a custom crew and he suggested an excellent one that I will likely

Be ordering when I have the money. But I have spent over 400 dollars on this tank already and my mom put her foot down and said no more

Spending for a while

I have family coming to visit Tuesday who may help me buy a cuc, fingers crossed, but now I have bubbles in my sand and on top of it and a weird purple algae I think is cynoalgae (spelt that so wrong, just woke up) bridging the gaps between the bubbles. It's bizarre. I know my cuc is sad and pathetic and doesn't do the trick but I am out of money and already owe my mother about a hundred dollars for the tank. If I so much as mention my tank to her she looses her cool. Haha.

charnelhouse

This is not a cheap hobby. You might want to consider selling the tank to someone who can afford to take care of the living creatures in it correctly. Otherwise you are just torturing them.

Alternatively, you could find a source of income that allows you to care for them properly.

Declorinated tap water, can't afford a rodi system, so far out of my price range it might as well be on Jupiter.

So basically you're having algae issues- no biggie. ^I don't think you should sell it lol.... ^

I have a 45g and exclusively get my water at the LFS for cheap. I recommend doing that instead of tap. Buy 5 gallons for $2.5, do a water change every two weeks with that. Same thing with the top off water, buy it at the LFS for cheap.

Upload your photos to photo bucket and then paste the IMG link here- the picture will show up full sized.

Algae can be corrected in several ways

• Find the source- water, excess nutrients, etc
  • Cut down feeding
  • Increase water changes with GOOD water
  • Use 0 tds RODI for top-off
  • Manual removal
  • Run a phosphate absorber such as chemi-pure blue

This is not a cheap hobby. You might want to consider selling the tank to someone who can afford to take care of the living creatures in it correctly. Otherwise you are just torturing them.

Alternatively, you could find a source of income that allows you to care for them properly.

I kinda agree with this... Tanks take mainanence and maintenance takes money... Salt isn't cheap, Tap water definitely isn't the way to go. Water is probably the single most important part of the hobby. Not sure what you spent your 400 dollars on, but the tank, water and lighting should have been top priority in my opinion. Do you have testing supplies? It honestly sounds like you kinda jumped into this before you were ready and will soon be over your head. It seems like you should maybe stick to freshwater until you have the means to maintain a saltwater tank. Sure you can probably get by with what you have, but algae could possibly be a constant struggle, your livestock will suffer, you will get frustrated and end up quitting anyway. I would seriously consider selling what you have now, sticking with freshwater for the time being, and down the road when you can better afford it, start a new salty tank.

I do test, I have testing equipment, I do 20 percent water changes about every four days. My animals are very happy (beside the unfortunate hermit crab) my hermit crabs already switched into new shells my coral banded shrimp is very active (and hateful towards me) I don't think only being able to use tap water is a reason to sell, if anything the algae is a good food source. If my animals were not getting what they needed than yes I would sell. I am a massive animal rights advocate and would not put my animals in danger on purpose. I will post more pictures. And I am completely aware the hobby is expensive, I knew that going into it. I got all my bare necessities before any life, the tank was fully cycled for more than a month before my first coral went in, two months before invertabres went in

Right, water alone isn't a reason to quit, I agree. While algae is a good food source for some, it can quickly overtake a tank and even kill corals. Not to mention it's ugly, and ugly tanks tend to frustrate people to the point of quitting. Using tap water could be feeding this algae so regardless what you do you are already behind the ball unfortunately. All I was stating is that if you can't afford 20 bucks for a clean up crew, (I've been there), I'm not sure how you will be able to afford ongoing requirements such as salt etc. You should see if you could borrow a TDS meter from someone in a local reef club and test your tap water. Maybe it's not awful. Maybe someone locally would be willing to make you a few gallons of RODI a week for water changes...I know my LFS will give you as much water as you want, you just bring the buckets. A clean tank starts with good water and you should try and explore other avenues to make it happen. I don't like seeing people get frustrated and quit. You sound like you want to do this and have the best intentions for your animals.

charnelhouse

I only made that suggestion because it sounded to me like lack of funds was taking priority over proper upkeep. You don't need an RO/DI system to get RO/DI water. I buy 15 gallons every week or so at my LFS, I don't have a unit. It's .35 a gallon but half the time they don't even charge. There are alternatives to shelling out cash for a unit.

My point is don't let "I can't afford it" be a reason to not provide basic care for your critters.

My tank crashed about three hours ago. My salinity was at 1.030 when I got it tested at lfs but everything else was perfect. Went home to do water change to lower salinity. My hydrometer is apparently broken. I went to put new water in and my expensive led light slide into the water, three times. I yanked it out and covered the electric strip containing all my equipment in water. It started sparking and smoking. Unplugged everything and saved what I could. The light was a goner, three led lights were out within five minutes. Another four lights within ten. Waiting to see if heater, filter, wavemaker is going to be alright. New light is 72watt full spectrum 1655lumen light, will take a week to arrive. Trying to use the broken light till then. That put me back 40$ I can't believe this happened. After I was so worried about getting money for a cuc I had to blow another forty on a new light when the old old was only a week old

righttirefire

I'd warn you about using a "smoking" bad light. Electricity can be a bitch. Your tank isn't worth burning down your house. Something to think about

Definitely not trolled unfortunately. I had an evo 72watt light I got off of ebay and I had to throw it away last night. I nearly cried, fifty dollars down the drain :( the brackets were broken and every time I tried to put it back on the tank they collapsed and sent the light back into the water. I dropped it twice and my mother dropped it again trying to fix it. I currently have an emergency 22watt led over the tank until the new light arrives on the 9th.

I'd warn you about using a "smoking" bad light. Electricity can be a bitch. Your tank isn't worth burning down your house. Something to think about

Your completely right, I took the broken light down and am currently using the 22watt led from my ten gallon planted freshwater. It's full spectrum, high lumen so it should do the trick for a week until the new light arrives. I have three parrots (one of which is trying to walk on my face and make it difficult to type right now) and four cats as well and my worst nightmare is a fire because I don't think I would be able to get them all out in time. Not gonna risk it.

Things happen and they tend to be unfortunate but it will work out. Maybe with using tap water and having algae problems save some money for some cheap macro algae that would help with some of the problems caused by tap water. Your tank setup lends itself to that direction anyways. And is it just preference to keep the water line that low? And do you make sure you top off with fresh water, unless like you said your hydros been off which I use one but either rinse it out before or after and take a good four tests o your salinity to make sure they do mess up. That would cause your high salinity. We'll good luck and remember use this site if your serious about wanting to learn more. Just use the search button or navigate through a section that your wanting to know more about.

Good news! Went to my lfs and bought two oto cats for 2.99 each and a long fin albino Daniel for 99¢! Along with....(drum roll please)....a clean up crew!! They were having a 99¢ sale on all cleanup crew and the danios and other cheap fish and I picked up an assortment of four hermit crabs and three large zebra turbo snails along with a teaspoon of live brine shrimp I dumped in the tank for Redrum. Yayyyy. My mom is so mad at me I owe her so much money. Eek! Worth it though

I'm thinking of doing a side by side 5 gallon refugium since my tank is right outside my closest and my closest is an open door mini office and putting the refugium on my desk and sticking Redrum my coral banded shrimp in there if she keeps eating hermit crabs.

Good news! Went to my lfs and bought two oto cats for 2.99 each and a long fin albino Daniel for 99¢! Along with....(drum roll please)....a clean up crew!! They were having a 99¢ sale on all cleanup crew and the danios and other cheap fish and I picked up an assortment of four hermit crabs and three large zebra turbo snails along with a teaspoon of live brine shrimp I dumped in the tank for Redrum. Yayyyy. My mom is so mad at me I owe her so much money. Eek! Worth it though

I'm thinking of doing a side by side 5 gallon refugium since my tank is right outside my closest and my closest is an open door mini office and putting the refugium on my desk and sticking Redrum my coral banded shrimp in there if she keeps eating hermit crabs.

So what are your parameters? I hope you know the fish you picked up are NOT for salt water haha

Its "Closet", not "Closest" btw ;)

Your salinity is so high (1.030) because you let so much water evaporate from your tank (Looks like three inches?) without topping off with FRESH water

I don't see how you spent $400 on this. A 20l is $20, filter $20, powerhead $7, $10 (10 lbs) sand, $40 of rock, $50 light.

every time I tried to put it back on the tank they collapsed and sent the light back into the water. I dropped it twice and my mother dropped it again trying to fix it.

So how many times did this light fall into the tank again? Like 7 times?

That stinks

So what are your parameters? I hope you know the fish you picked up are NOT for salt water haha

Your salinity is so high (1.030) because you let so much water evaporate from your tank (Looks like three inches?) without topping off with FRESH water

I don't see how you spent $400 on this. A 20l is $20, filter $20, powerhead $7, $10 (10 lbs) sand, $40 of rock, $50 light.

That stinks

Lol no, I have a ten gallon planted community tank. Completely freshwater I assure you. My parameters are fantastic (except for salinity which tested at 1.030 yesterday and has since been lowered, gradually) I use tetra 6 in 1 strips but had it double checked at a pet store and sure enough salinity was sky high

Lol. I know, I realized it after I posted it.

Actually my hydrometer was broken and while it measured at 1.024 it was actually 1.030. I have since fixed the problem as well as raising the water level since so many people mentioned it.

20$ 20 gallon tank, filter was 22$, powerhead was 6$, live sand was 16$, 55$ on rock, 30$ on original light and 50$ on second and yet another 40$ when the second broke. 90$ in coral, another 80$ for hydrometer, testing strips, chemicals, foods, and salt, 30$ for heater and about fifty on live animals. It adds up quick

That stinks

3 times, once when I was changing water and again when I dried it and tried to put it back on (hadn't yet realized brackets were broken) and again when my mom tried to fix the brackets unsuccessfully.

Archived