Coral Vue Hydros

Bubbles in sand bed... Nitrogen or Hydrogen sulfide?

dandelion

I just noticed recently that there are air bubbles in my sandbed. I can clearly see them between my glass and the sand. My sand bed is only 1-2 inches deep, and my tank is about 3 months old. I only have a bunch of astrea snails and a peppermint shrimp as my clean up crew, and I haven't been stiring my sand bed. Should I worry about it? Or should I stir a small corner and see if I smell rotten egg. :unsure::wacko:

Btw are those red and green stuff cyanobacteria? I thought they only grow on top of sand bed not beneath.

post-87945-0-66645000-1440789079_thumb.jpg

post-87945-0-77315300-1440789081_thumb.jpg

Stir a small spot and smell. Have a puke bucket handy. Rotten eggs is hydrogen sulfide. Nitrogen bubbles are tiny. Cyno will grow against the glass because it gets enough light there.

• Like 1

Stir a small spot and smell. Have a puke bucket handy. Rotten eggs is hydrogen sulfide. Nitrogen bubbles are tiny. Cyno will grow against the glass because it gets enough light there.

its not that bad smelling lol, not to me anyways.
Nano sapiens

Oxygen bubbles caused by algae/cyano respiration under illumination (photosynthetic organisms use CO2 and respire O2 in the presence of light).

Typically, you'd see black areas if it was hydrogen sulfide.

• Like 1

Went through this a little while back. I had air bubble in my sand bed also, but I had brown algae on the sand bed and below the sand bed where it gets light. From I've gathered they are just oxygen bubbles from the photosynthesis from the algae. I could be very wrong also. Haha. My tank is about the same age as yours also.

3 months likely isn't enough time for your sandbed to produce anything as serious as hydrogen sulfide. I've taken down reefs that had been running for years and I've never found super nasty sand, beyond detritus. I'm sure you're fine.

• 3 years later...

im freaking out, cause im currently experiencing the same issue, I am using a black sand substrate and started seeing couple of bubbles coming out from the sand sub, and my sub is starting to rise/elevate a little in area where the bubbles usually comes out. I tried poking the area and big bubbles comes out (no bad smell though) should this be an issue?

New tanks with new sand will often have micro bubbles get trapped. @jarwin1221

Stirring the sand will remove them as well as be beneficial.

A short sand bed should be stirred, is best to be vaccuumed with waterchanges, as well as having a CUC of cerith and nassaurius snails.

• Like 1