inTank Media Baskets

The story begins.......

BayStYat

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are the proteins that are skimmed in the skimmer on the surface of the tank water?

The reason i am asking is that my skimmer is in the AC70 that pulls from under the surface of the water, My other AC70 with filter media pulls from the surface and the bottom of the tank. Should I have the skimmer in the AC70 that has the surface skimmer?

thanks

charnelhouse

If I understand the mechanics correctly the skimmer isn't only skimming "surface water". The foaming action creates a surface area that pulls proteins out of the water column. You don't have to be using "surface water" for a skimmer to work correctly.

If I understand the mechanics correctly the skimmer isn't only skimming "surface water". The foaming action creates a surface area that pulls proteins out of the water column. You don't have to be using "surface water" for a skimmer to work correctly.

awesome thanks

But that ac70 mod is fricken awsome man. The proteins/waste in the tank don't all sit on the top of the water, when I envisioned protein skimmer coming from the fresh water side I thought of surface skimming because I get oily surface water with my planted tank. I jumped into reefing, realized accually it's the process of the protein skimmer which removes organics from the entire water column and a completely separate function to be used with a salt water tank But I do see a Benefit in either surface skimming or aggravated surface tension I. A tank. You really shouldn't see much surface oil if your creating enough flow up top. but all tanks are different and I will keep this mod in mind. Looks like it will be worthy to have.

But that ac70 mod is fricken awsome man. The proteins/waste in the tank don't all sit on the top of the water, when I envisioned protein skimmer coming from the fresh water side I thought of surface skimming because I get oily surface water with my planted tank. I jumped into reefing, realized accually it's the process of the protein skimmer which removes organics from the entire water column and a completely separate function to be used with a salt water tank But I do see a Benefit in either surface skimming or aggravated surface tension I. A tank. You really shouldn't see much surface oil if your creating enough flow up top. but all tanks are different and I will keep this mod in mind. Looks like it will be worthy to have.

thanks Mark!

Skimmer up and running

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Tank is doing great. All parameters are stable. Diatoms have decreased. CUC has been working rigorously. Skimmer is pulling some gunk.

2 clown

1 Coral Banded

1 Cleaner Shrimp

3 Turbo Snails

5 Hermits

1 Emerald Crab

20151011_074118_zps8jgrbf84.jpg20151011_073957_zps1jbi6lzz.jpg20151011_074156_zpszj0rflkx.jpg20151011_074412_zpsmlezfbna.jpg20151011_074702_zpsftedlb83.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yeah that seems good!

I think your skimmer is too high. I would lower the entire skimmer and rotate the body to lower the water level inside.

Thanks Harry,

That was an old pic of the skimmer. I have it adjusted now. It skims great but has to be adjusted regularly

• 1 month later...

Archived