Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The story begins.......

BayStYat

Looks like a great start. I like the color choice! and as for the cycle just let it do its thing. I am waiting on mine also and it stinks :)

As for painting the tank no issues at all. I had a Oceanic years ago that had the simulated wood grain :rolleyes: taped it all off and painted it black. Worked out great.

The glass top will become white within two days from salt creep!

Edit:

Also increased temperature and less gas exchange.

If you don't like evaporation just buy an ATO

Thanks for the kind words and help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably fairly normal some algae will show up near the end of the cycle, but if you keep the lights of during the cycle none should grow before then. And you won't really see a change but the change would be in you water test results.

Also I love the painted tank, such a simple thing but is makes it look so much nicer, if it was me I would probably ditch the hood since with out the black trim it looks way better.

Probably fairly normal some algae will show up near the end of the cycle, but if you keep the lights of during the cycle none should grow before then. And you won't really see a change but the change would be in you water test results.

Also I love the painted tank, such a simple thing but is makes it look so much nicer, if it was me I would probably ditch the hood since with out the black trim it looks way better.

Thanks, I am using the hood to hide the two AC70s.

I haven't run a light at all during the cycle. I will be testing the water for the first time tonight. I added the bacteria starter 15 days ago. I added a small amount of flake fish food on day 11. That's all I have done.

I haven't run a light at all during the cycle. I will be testing the water for the first time tonight. I added the bacteria starter 15 days ago. I added a small amount of flake fish food on day 11. That's all I have done.

After 14 days the tank looks exactly the same as when I started it. No change. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help

Yeah, mine is 3 months in a still looks basically the same. Dry rock takes a LONG time to seed.

Fish food converted will be turning to nitrate, test again tomorrow should be fully processed by then. No worries just keep testing every day from now. maybe order a cuc or get one ready to buy, if your jotmin a rush let it cycle alittle more get a straight nitrate reading add alittle moremfood then waitnand test again till its reading just nitrate, do a water change then get a cuc :)

Fish food converted will be turning to nitrate, test again tomorrow should be fully processed by then. No worries just keep testing every day from now. maybe order a cuc or get one ready to buy, if your jotmin a rush let it cycle alittle more get a straight nitrate reading add alittle moremfood then waitnand test again till its reading just nitrate, do a water change then get a cuc :)

awesome thank. im in no rush

Ok thanks. What reading on Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia should I be looking for when the tank in cycled?

thanks

^^ just nitrate, go as slow as you can resist on stocking it once its cycled, small hermits and different snails to start, if younhavent heard of reef cleaners or it hasn't been mentioned, go there and look for a ckeaner package tonyour tank size, great place to start, tank looks to be a promising journey for you.

Do you have any fish in mind or a coral preference?

^^ just nitrate, go as slow as you can resist on stocking it once its cycled, small hermits and different snails to start, if younhavent heard of reef cleaners or it hasn't been mentioned, go there and look for a ckeaner package tonyour tank size, great place to start, tank looks to be a promising journey for you.

Do you have any fish in mind or a coral preference?

Just 2-3 fish. 2 clowns I plan on getting the smallest fish I can get. I like small fish.

I would like 5-6 inverts

As for corals I have no clue

Ammonia and nitrite will be zero. Nitrate should be as low as you can get it. Mine is steady at 0 now but was at 5 before I had the InTank media rack.

I have an intank media basket also. Waiting to run Purigen and chemI pure elite after cycle

New test results

day 22

Nitrate - 1

Nitrite- 0

Ammonia- less than <0.25

PH - 8

Nitrate went up to 1 from 0.25

My ammonia test kit shows <0.25 So I dont have an accurate number since it starts at 0.25

please advise

20 nitrate I would say its safe to say you don't have any ammonia and your cycled. The specks of red could be Cyanobacteria. Do a water change and start using your media in the ac70s and your good to go. If you don't have one get a old tooth brush, get a turkey baster, and a good net. These will be your best tools at combating algae on rocks and sand. Use the baster to blow off rocks suck up things and blast it into your net. I follow this by a water change If I stir a lot up normally on the day of a water change but if I'm going through an algae phase it's more regular. Oh and don't get discouraged as ugly as you think your tank may be at any point during its first few even up to 6 months. The slower you stock the more time it gives the bacteria to colonize and catch up to be able to process more waste the less of an algae bloom and what will seem like a never ending horror show you will have. I'll be following along.

20 nitrate I would say its safe to say you don't have any ammonia and your cycled. The specks of red could be Cyanobacteria. Do a water change and start using your media in the ac70s and your good to go. If you don't have one get a old tooth brush, get a turkey baster, and a good net. These will be your best tools at combating algae on rocks and sand. Use the baster to blow off rocks suck up things and blast it into your net. I follow this by a water change If I stir a lot up normally on the day of a water change but if I'm going through an algae phase it's more regular. Oh and don't get discouraged as ugly as you think your tank may be at any point during its first few even up to 6 months. The slower you stock the more time it gives the bacteria to colonize and catch up to be able to process more waste the less of an algae bloom and what will seem like a never ending horror show you will have. I'll be following along.

awesome thanks. I increased the flow from the RW-4 and it went away.

To test the theory that your tank is cycled you can reintroduce ammonia (say, 1ppm) and your tabk should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates within 24 hours.

If you are cycled then congrats :) I'm going on three weeks myself

Edit: I missed the part where you said it was cycled lol, congrats :)

Ok I reworked the skimmer. I ordered a SUNSUN/Aquatop replacement intake tube with skimmer. I got the idea from my freshwater set up.

I paid $6 dollars for it. I used a pvc reducer to reduce the intake tube to the AC70 intake tube.

The skimmer has a self adjusting skimmer neck. WORKS AWESOME!

Archived