SaltCritters.com

The story begins.......

BayStYat

I will be starting new tank tomorrow.

I have water, Carib See live sand and dry live rock from BRS.

Please help direct me in my first week of start up.

What would be the first thing I do once the water, sand and rock are in the tank?

I have read countless information on start up. I need to pick a system and go.

Thanks for all the help

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put salt in it?

Add a bottle of biospira or something similar.

Test for ammonia etc....wait......

If you read enough on the board, what you have (dry rock) is already a approached you picked.

Put salt in it?

Add a bottle of biospira or something similar.

Test for ammonia etc....wait......

If you read enough on the board, what you have (dry rock) is already a approached you picked.

Sorry started out with LFS salt water, but will do my own after cycle.

also please explain your last line. Not sure what you mean

I have read many different ways of starting. Just want to follow a guideline and stick with it.

Since you went with dry rock I'll assume you are asking about starting the cycle? Was there a particular way you were debating between? I'm sure you'll find the same responses here that you did in your research. I, for example, am a fan of adding bottled ammonia directly into the tank as opposed to using fish or food (like dead shrimp). I also like to use a bottled bacteria product like Dr. Tims, but that's not a -requirement-.

He means by picking the dry live rock u have already Chosen a method.

ahh, thanks

Since you went with dry rock I'll assume you are asking about starting the cycle? Was there a particular way you were debating between? I'm sure you'll find the same responses here that you did in your research. I, for example, am a fan of adding bottled ammonia directly into the tank as opposed to using fish or food (like dead shrimp). I also like to use a bottled bacteria product like Dr. Tims, but that's not a -requirement-.

ok, I ordered the Bio Spira to start the cycle. Thanks for the information.

When i started my tank i went with cured and cycled wet live rock straight outta the tank at my lfs and Live sand with a bacteria cycle accelerator and my tank cycled in 1 day...i used the nutri sea water and ro/di water fron the lfs as well. By using the dry rock it will probably take a few weeks to get the tank cycled

When i started my tank i went with cured and cycled wet live rock straight outta the tank at my lfs and Live sand with a bacteria cycle accelerator and my tank cycled in 1 day...i used the nutri sea water and ro/di water fron the lfs as well. By using the dry rock it will probably take a few weeks to get the tank cycled

Ok thats great information. Thanks.

What's the TDS of your water? What else is in it? 4 stage should be fine for most applications. It's what I run too.

Thanks, I dont have a clue as to what is in our water. I will find out

Hood is being painted now,

water and sand next

Is there to much rock in the tank? 20150830_191127_zpst4oyz3vw.jpg

Question, how is the best way to introduce Bio- Spira once water and sand are in the tank?

thanks

Hood is being painted now,

water and sand next

Is there to much rock in the tank? 20150830_191127_zpst4oyz3vw.jpg

Question, how is the best way to introduce Bio- Spira once water and sand are in the tank?

thanks

Maybe turn off the filter for a few minutes so the larger particles don't get trapped immediately. Other than that just follow the directions on the bottle

Maybe turn off the filter for a few minutes so the larger particles don't get trapped immediately. Other than that just follow the directions on the bottle

thanks.

I was planning on running one of the AC70s with just filter floss during the cycle. Is that ok?

Filter floss is fine to run during the cycle, all that it's going to do is catch fine particles and sediment flowing in your water. I would get the kit to turn one of your A/C 70's into a surface skimmer. Depending on what you are planning on keeping in the tank you might only need 1 power head because those 2 A/C 70's will give some good circulation flow where they are placed.

Big thing: Make sure you change out that filter floss every week or it just becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. I just made it a habbit of taking the thing down each week and cleaning it out completly.

Filter floss is fine to run during the cycle, all that it's going to do is catch fine particles and sediment flowing in your water. I would get the kit to turn one of your A/C 70's into a surface skimmer. Depending on what you are planning on keeping in the tank you might only need 1 power head because those 2 A/C 70's will give some good circulation flow where they are placed.

Big thing: Make sure you change out that filter floss every week or it just becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. I just made it a habbit of taking the thing down each week and cleaning it out completly.

Awesome,

I actually have the AC70 surface skimmer attachment. I also have a Koralia 240

Looks good! Congratulations: it's awesome you did your research BEFORE starting off!

Thank you, I will still ask 1000 questions though.

Archived