Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need an Id on this. new tank, in middle of cycle

JoeGnallPA

I have this growing on a piece of my live rock.. Was wondering if could id it for me please.

Picture is tough to tell, but it's a purpleish green, and has the appearance of fur, soft looking.

11892209_10207450365320897_1103518088957

It doesn't move, I haven't touched it with my person.. I lightly touched it, a couple small bubbles came out of it, but other than that nothing... nadda. It's just like, well just there..

noticed another smaller area with it as well...

It doesn't move, I haven't touched it with my person.. I lightly touched it, a couple small bubbles came out of it, but other than that nothing... nadda. It's just like, well just there..

noticed another smaller area with it as well...

bubbles, it sounds like something photosynthetic, how do the hairs look, dense or loosely packed? And are they straight and fibrous, or knotted?

hairs look short and dense, straight, laying flat, radiating out from what would be the center. kinda like a head that was shaved bald and grown in for a few days. growing on the spots of green coraline algea, that has turned white during what I understand is the normal process of a new cycling tank.

Tank is a 11 Gallon JbJ nano, 7-8 gallons filled, light is Fluval Sea LCD 25k. 10 hour photo period, about 7 inches from surface of the water. parameters right now,

SG: 1.025

Temp: 77

PH 8.0

Ammo .50ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

KH: 12dKH

Phos .10ppm

Calcium 460ppm

Oh, and tank went wet Saturday

It is what they call "red turf algae" but I am going to figure out species for these turf algaes one of these months

And that means more information is always very helpful.

I will keep an eye on it. and try to get better pics, and note any changes, on it... Not sure if it's good in tank or not. but hey.. Doesn't hurt if kept in check from what I've read up on as well.

Anything new comes up I will pass my findings on to you

Archived