Top Shelf Aquatics

Marine Ick?

dandelion

I got this new firefish 3 days ago from my LFS. It's in my quarantine tank and today I noticed a couple white specks on its body. I suspect this is ick. Just want to get some confirmation from you guys? I have cupramine and copper test kit and I can start medicating tonight when I get home from work.

Also does it matter if I have a bunch of chaeto algae in the quarantine tank, or should I remove it before dosing cupramine? I'm positive the ick didn't come from my chaeto because it came from my display tank that has no sign of ick and it's been sitting in my empty QT for a couple months.

P.S. The two specks I saw are towards the back of the body, and right in front of the ventral fin.

post-87945-0-97623600-1440593868_thumb.jpg

post-87945-0-76068800-1440593885_thumb.jpg

post-87945-0-11112800-1440593898_thumb.jpg

post-87945-0-99481300-1440593907_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

It's possible. You will need to remove any rock or anything else made of aragonite (like that snail shell) and the chaeto, as well. You will also need to test copper almost daily to ensure that the level stays where it needs to, which is a big hassle. Copper binds to everything in the tank except the tank itself.

If you have a couple buckets, heaters and bubblers you can do the tank transfer method. Very effective when done correctly, and you don't have to mess with harmful chemicals.

jedimasterben

If you have a couple buckets, heaters and bubblers you can do the tank transfer method. Very effective when done correctly, and you don't have to mess with harmful chemicals.

The keyword is 'when done correctly'. If you don't, then you've wasted your time and stressed the fish out unnecessarily. Cupramine is much more gentle on fish that most know, but something like CP is even less so and is significantly more effective (which is why public aquariums use it and not TTM) and on top of that targets most known parasites, not just one or two.

charnelhouse

I've seen white specks on my citron goby that look very similar that have turned out to be nothing other than specks of detritus (which I see quite a bit of in the bottom of your QT). The specks disappear (read: fall off) within minutes or hours. Before you start treating for something be sure there is something to treat.

TTM is probably doable, but I felt like it will be more hassle than cupramine. I know by using cupramine I have to avoid putting invertebrates in there in the future... but its only a sponge filter and a PVC elbow I have to sacrifice.

It's possible. You will need to remove any rock or anything else made of aragonite (like that snail shell) and the chaeto, as well. You will also need to test copper almost daily to ensure that the level stays where it needs to, which is a big hassle. Copper binds to everything in the tank except the tank itself.

Where did you get your chloroquine? I'm a pharmacist and I can't even find it.... They don't use this medication on humans anymore.

The keyword is 'when done correctly'. If you don't, then you've wasted your time and stressed the fish out unnecessarily. Cupramine is much more gentle on fish that most know, but something like CP is even less so and is significantly more effective (which is why public aquariums use it and not TTM) and on top of that targets most known parasites, not just one or two.

I was wondering if it was just detritus also. I guess when I go home and check today evening we will find out. The fish certainly likes to stay on the bottom of my QT. One time I was buying a few neon tetras and my husband and I saw a white speck when carrying them to the register. We took it back to the person who got them from the store tank and voila that speck was gone.

I've seen white specks on my citron goby that look very similar that have turned out to be nothing other than specks of detritus (which I see quite a bit of in the bottom of your QT). The specks disappear (read: fall off) within minutes or hours. Before you start treating for something be sure there is something to treat.

jedimasterben

Where did you get your chloroquine? I'm a pharmacist and I can't even find it.... They don't use this medication on humans anymore.

New Life International now sells it as 'NLS Ick Shield Powder'. The instructions are incorrect, though, and the dosage amount has to be doubled. http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Powder-Ick-Shield/dp/B00MNQWACU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440598709&sr=8-2&keywords=new+life+spectrum+ick+shield

Very interesting that it is not used on humans. Is it ineffective versus malaria now or are there just better alternatives?

charnelhouse

All that said, that seems like odd behavior for a firefish, sitting on the bottom like that. Has it been eating and swimming normally?

New Life International now sells it as 'NLS Ick Shield Powder'. The instructions are incorrect, though, and the dosage amount has to be doubled. http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Powder-Ick-Shield/dp/B00MNQWACU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440598709&sr=8-2&keywords=new+life+spectrum+ick+shield

Very interesting that it is not used on humans. Is it ineffective versus malaria now or are there just better alternatives?

Malaria is very resistant to chloroquine. Newer drugs available that have less resistance. That said, it is still used in countries where resistance is low.

Thanks! I will see if it'll ship by Friday... Not sure if my fish can wait that long.

And I agree with what DocReef said. There are better alternatives. And sometimes drugs get phased out not necessarily because of medical reasons. For example 3-4 years ago manufacturers quit making tetracycline, not sure if it's because of a short supply in raw materials or low margins or a combination of both. Many prescribers were forced to write doxycycline instead. Even though tetracycline is now back (at a ridiculously high price) I rarely see prescribers write for that anymore.

I think it's just being timid. It usually hides in the "cave" between the PVC and my chaeto ball. It does swim out and flick its fins when no one is in the room. It's not eating when I feed but I noticed food disappearing after a few hours.... So it could be eating when I am not watching.

All that said, that seems like odd behavior for a firefish, sitting on the bottom like that. Has it been eating and swimming normally?

My QT is cycled since I know if I am to use cupramine I cannot dose prime. :) I guess that's another thing that makes chloroquine a better choice than cupramine.

Now I wished I had asked before buying my cupramine and copper testing kit. :(

As long as you have Prime, it'll arrive Friday (or tomorrow for an extra $4). :)

charnelhouse

I think it's just being timid. It usually hides in the "cave" between the PVC and my chaeto ball. It does swim out and flick its fins when no one is in the room. It's not eating when I feed but I noticed food disappearing after a few hours.... So it could be eating when I am not watching.

My QT is cycled since I know if I am to use cupramine I cannot dose prime. :) I guess that's another thing that makes chloroquine a better choice than cupramine.

Now I wished I had asked before buying my cupramine and copper testing kit. :(

Can you return them if unopened?

I have a firefish that has a white spot on its side in the same area. I was worried at first, but it turned out to be nothing. I have had the fish for about three months now and the spot is still there. I have read other threads where people have said the same thing. Like charnelhouse said though, the fish sitting on the bottom is kind of odd. Unless it is trying to hide from you? I would just keep an eye on it on a daily basis and look for any change.

The QT is in a windowless room and I turned off all lights at night. I noticed the spots when I turned on the light this morning to look at it. It was darting around hitting glass when I spooked him yesterday. Perhaps it is still stressed from the move.

I have a firefish that has a white spot on its side in the same area. I was worried at first, but it turned out to be nothing. I have had the fish for about three months now and the spot is still there. I have read other threads where people have said the same thing. Like charnelhouse said though, the fish sitting on the bottom is kind of odd. Unless it is trying to hide from you? I would just keep an eye on it on a daily basis and look for any change.

I ordered them online quite a while back. I guess I'll just use cupramine and get another sponge filter to leave in my DT so I can have a seeded biofilter that's copper-free should the need arise.

That said I still hope it's just some dust that it got onto its body.

Can you return them if unopened?

The QT is in a windowless room and I turned off all lights at night. I noticed the spots when I turned on the light this morning to look at it. It was darting around hitting glass when I spooked him yesterday. Perhaps it is still stressed from the move.

I ordered them online quite a while back. I guess I'll just use cupramine and get another sponge filter to leave in my DT so I can have a seeded biofilter that's copper-free should the need arise.

That said I still hope it's just some dust that it got onto its body.

Be careful with cupramine. I would work my way up to the full dose even slower than what the directions say. I am pretty sure I killed a clown fish a few weeks back with a half dose. It was a beautiful fish too :(

I checked on it after work. Looks like the spot is gone :). I'll keep a close eye on it in case it comes back.... I highly doubt it but it could just have reached the stage of the parasite falling off.

Thank you guys.

Be careful with cupramine. I would work my way up to the full dose even slower than what the directions say. I am pretty sure I killed a clown fish a few weeks back with a half dose. It was a beautiful fish too :(

Archived