Cultivated Reef

MACNA 2016 San Diego

Sancho

And yet you continue to add more corals and fish and have set up a frag tank. Sorry Harry, I'm not buying your woe is me bull shit.

Hey I have 8 months, enjoying it as much as I can now since I know I won't have a chance for a tank this size/quality for a LONG time

BTW the frag tank is empty

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I have 8 months, enjoying it as much as I can now since I know I won't have a chance for a tank this size/quality for a LONG time

BTW the frag tank is empty

Funny thing is if you were to go to UCSD for college you would have all the free filtered ocean water you could ever want. I know some dudes that go there and have not so nano tanks.

Funny thing is if you were to go to UCSD for college you would have all the free filtered ocean water you could ever want. I know some dudes that go there and have not so nano tanks.

Guys in he room next to mine had a 55 gallon cichlid tank.

Am I the only one who only stays in 4-5 star rated hotels? This 2 star yelp rating is making me feel... Hesitant... about wanting to stay there...

I don't know.......

I would rather leave the hobby than have a tiny unstable picotope and watch corals suffer

Damn this is ####### depressing

I guess if I shut down my tank and sell everything I could afford Macna but then it's just to add salt to the wound of losing my reef :(

Pico's are not unstable. Just do your regular maintenance and the corals will be just fine. The hobby has come a long way and we have better ATO's, heaters, salt mix, filter media, flow, and better control overall.

Pico's are amazing for showcasing tiny fish and inverts that get lost and overlooked in a large reef. You may fall in love. It is a different experience and you shouldn't limit yourself, it will most likely increase your passion for this hobby, not snuff it out.

Am I the only one who only stays in 4-5 star rated hotels? This 2 star yelp rating is making me feel... Hesitant... about wanting to stay there...

I go for hotels that have good customer reviews. It could be a 3 star hotel based on amenities (like a best western) but have great reviews from people who actually stayed there.

The one they were advertising had not so great customer reviews though when I briefly checked.

Hopper. The app that checks fares for you and alerts you when its a good time to buy

Well shit, I just bought airfare today (not to macna) and didn't know this app existed. I dun ####ed up :closedeyes:

I'll use it for MACNA though, hoping to got but need to wait till it gets closer.

I go for hotels that have good customer reviews. It could be a 3 star hotel based on amenities (like a best western) but have great reviews from people who actually stayed there.

The one they were advertising had not so great customer reviews though when I briefly checked.

That's what I mean - customer rated. I don't mean to sound too snooty... ;)

Lol no I'm not searching for ticket prices since after searching once and seeing $350 I died a bit inside...

But yes I know about using incognito mode while comparing prices :)

Well tickets are $350 I believe and if you only drink cheap beer this may work :lol:

You realize that's only the price of TWO of the rare reef nem packs, right?

You realize that's only the price of TWO of the rare reef nem packs, right?

Yeah I do, plus hotel, ubers, food, and more ;)

And I only got one of those packs :P

I don't mean to be negative towards picos, they're awesome. I mean compromise as in give away so much of my corals and fish! Picos are sweet

I don't think parents could maintain it TBH, but still working on that. Would be better to send it off to other NR members or sell it local than to see the health decline.

Well, so, rather than just bitch, why not come up with a plan? Look at Roger's reef. His parents maintain it while he is in college and he even got TOTM. So, save up for a webcam, get a temp, salinity and whatever probes you need, automate your tank and keep it going. By keeping an eye on things from afar, you could let your parents know what needs to be done, etc. If you automate, you won't watch the health decline. And before you say "no money", you have 8 months to save up. If you really wanted to keep your tank going, you could find a way. Just like you found a way to buy the extra radion, the nems, etc. You have time, work on figuring out how to keep your tank going.

Keep a small pico in college, it will be fun. I'm with the others. I think a pico/small tank can be just as rewarding, if not more so than larger tanks.

Yeah I do, plus hotel, ubers, food, and more ;)

And I only got one of those packs :P

Yes, but you have 8 months to figure out how to get to macna is all I'm saying.

You're not the only one.

Well, so, rather than just bitch, why not come up with a plan? Look at Roger's reef. His parents maintain it while he is in college and he even got TOTM. So, save up for a webcam, get a temp, salinity and whatever probes you need, automate your tank and keep it going. By keeping an eye on things from afar, you could let your parents know what needs to be done, etc. If you automate, you won't watch the health decline. And before you say "no money", you have 8 months to save up. If you really wanted to keep your tank going, you could find a way. Just like you found a way to buy the extra radion, the nems, etc. You have time, work on figuring out how to keep your tank going.

Keep a small pico in college, it will be fun. I'm with the others. I think a pico/small tank can be just as rewarding, if not more so than larger tanks.

Yes, but you have 8 months to figure out how to get to macna is all I'm saying.

Excellent advice Stella. +100

I was thinking if I had a dorm room I would breed my Batmans.

You're not the only one.

So you know, I'm now actively considering going. omgomgomg Any idea when the room rates and MACNA ticket rates go back up?

(I even downloaded hopper!

And this'll be my first time traveling the country on my own. Germany on a scholarship course doesn't count!)

You're not the only one.

Merthy and I are looking around...

So you know, I'm now actively considering going. omgomgomg Any idea when the room rates and MACNA ticket rates go back up?

No idea about the MACNA tickets, but I wouldn't think the room rate would go up.

No idea about the MACNA tickets, but I wouldn't think the room rate would go up.

And now for the MTS question:

I can save up and head over to MACNA, most likely. But couldn't I set up a whole new correctly-done tank instead? I could be free of the paranoia that the bent glass on my nuvo 16 will crack! (even if it is Gen2..) The clown could go into her own tank and stop biting me!

Decisions, decisions.

(I even downloaded hopper!

And this'll be my first time traveling the country on my own. Germany on a scholarship course doesn't count!)

My offer to share my room still stands Chica.

For everyone who's been before:

What time did you join the convention? According to the schedule, the exhibit hall opens to everyone at 10AM Friday, and there'll be a workshop at 11:30. Should I be catching a flight that gets me there beforehand? Don't I need to already be checked into the hotel?

I'm not a traveling grown-up yet, can you tell? :wacko:

For everyone who's been before:

What time did you join the convention? According to the schedule, the exhibit hall opens to everyone at 10AM Friday, and there'll be a workshop at 11:30. Should I be catching a flight that gets me there beforehand? Don't I need to already be checked into the hotel?

I'm not a traveling grown-up yet, can you tell? :wacko:

I think check in time at the hotel is 3, you can request an early check in or have the front desk hold your bags.

I believe there is drinking with the salty folks every night at some bar or the other during MACNA. Stevie T would know.

Drinking never has to stop. You can find groups at bars, at the hotel bars, and there are "private" room parties that big boys put on. We usually find ourselves in there for the free booze and insider secret conversations about how we can take more of all you'alls money. :naughtydance:

Plus many offer drinks at their booths, such as Cobalt

Meh, what hotel doesn't. Heat that room up and kill them little bidges.

I'm so full of Jack during MACNA they'll have a nice party on me

• 4 weeks later...

Why is Harry's ticket only $350 for flying across the country when it's $310 from SD to San Francisco for me? :angry:

Anyways, this thread is getting me super excited for MACNA!! No idea where I'll be staying, but I can't wait to see all you East Coast reefers! :)

Bought my flight ticket ! Will see you guys in September!

Did you buy your MACNA tickets? You want me to add you to the list? Its silly but the list gives us an Idea who is going and gives us an opportunity to meet some of the people we chat with on a regular basis.

Did you buy your MACNA tickets? You want me to add you to the list? Its silly but the list gives us an Idea who is going and gives us an opportunity to meet some of the people we chat with on a regular basis.

I haven't yet because I'm hoping the currency exchange will change :lol: or should I just get it now? I'm going to be in Huntington Beach anyways I can always get one the day of?

I haven't yet because I'm hoping the currency exchange will change :lol: or should I just get it now? I'm going to be in Huntington Beach anyways I can always get one the day of?

WTF? Currency exchange? Huntington Beach is in Merica. :lol: As it gets closer the price for the full weekend pass will go up and things like the reception and banquet will sell out. You can get day passes at the door. Although if you plan on doing the entire weekend its best to buy the full pass. Those passes will sell out. With the full pass you get the reception on Friday and the banquet on Saturday. The reception sounds like its gonna be well worth it.

Archived