SaltCritters.com

Anyone out there use KZ Sponge Power without a protein skimmer?

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Wondering if it contains a carbon source to drive bacterial growth (which is something that would benefit sponges). If you have no skimmer, this would typically be detrimental to the health of your tank as it would cause a bacterial bloom and quickly use up the oxygen in the tank depending on the type of carbon source it contained and the concentration of such. I know it would have to contain silicate, but the other ingredients are yet a mystery :)

Wondering if it contains a carbon source to drive bacterial growth (which is something that would benefit sponges). If you have no skimmer, this would typically be detrimental to the health of your tank as it would cause a bacterial bloom and quickly use up the oxygen in the tank depending on the type of carbon source it contained and the concentration of such. I know it would have to contain silicate, but the other ingredients are yet a mystery :)

When I was running my system w/o a skimmer and just a eheim 2211, Kz sponge power didn't create a bacteria bloom in my tank. I dosed it for a good 2 months before I upgraded systems and got a skimmer.

jedimasterben

When I was running my system w/o a skimmer and just a eheim 2211, Kz sponge power didn't create a bacteria bloom in my tank. I dosed it for a good 2 months before I upgraded systems and got a skimmer.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

Tho looking back, I'm surprised that it didn't create a bacteria bloom as Kz Spongepower smells of acetic acid. I guess 1 drop twice a week isn't nearly enough carbon for serious carbon dosing though.

jedimasterben

Tho looking back, I'm surprised that it didn't create a bacteria bloom as Kz Spongepower smells of acetic acid. I guess 1 drop twice a week isn't nearly enough carbon for serious carbon dosing though.

Well, if it contains vinegar, it wouldn't be able to contain silica to dose, as the silica would precipitate (according to Randy Holmes-Farley). It's weird, as I don't know of anything that really smells like vinegar that isn't vinegar. Very perplexing lol

Well, if it contains vinegar, it wouldn't be able to contain silica to dose, as the silica would precipitate (according to Randy Holmes-Farley). It's weird, as I don't know of anything that really smells like vinegar that isn't vinegar. Very perplexing lol

57698302_zpsatpztpo3.jpg

Archived