SaltCritters.com

Is this a bristleworm?

WRX

Fed the tank tonight and something small was coming out of the live rock. It would come out maybe 1/4 inch before pulling back into the rock. I couldn't get a very good look at it, but it appeared to be a worm. Picture is attached, let me know what you think it is, and what I should do with it.

Thanks!

post-88723-0-85329800-1440368952_thumb.jpg

5 antennae right?

Did it have leggy looking things on the sides?

Did you see his mouthparts?

Also I should ask, what have you living in your tank? And how long has it been since the last new addition?

I think 6 antennae.

It didn't come out far enough to see if it had legs on the sides.

Can't get any more detail of the mouth other than the picture.

Tank only has live rock, snails, hermits, nano star, and a porcelain crab. Rock has been in the tank 3 weeks or so, CUC less than a week.

It isn't a bobbit worm, but it is a type of eunicidae. I must say that though that though bobbit worms are a eunicidae, they have a conspicuous iridescent skin. The worm is probably safe, you can actually test it, when the worm is out and about, wiggle something meaty in front of him, if he is a predator he will attack, if he is a scavenger he won't even try to get a lively target.

Thanks for the posts and advice. I'm away from the tank for a few days, and will post an update later this week. The rock is from FL if that helps identify the worm. I ordered from KP Aquatics so wherever they collect is where the worm is from.

http://vid613.photobucket.com/albums/tt217/SubiBRZ/Mobile%20Uploads/20150827_141858_zpsiklgdqcx.mp4

Here's another video. I put some NLS pellets in the tank and it came out to scavenge. Hermit crabs in the video give a good scale for its soze, the worm has not gone after any of the crabs.

if I were you I'd just leave the little guy, he seems nice, I would only think of separating him if he gets too big, I'll be surprised if he exceeds 8 inches, if he does get bigger than 8 tell me.

If it becomes a problem and I want to remove it, what's the best way? The rock is small enough where I can remove it from the tank. Would a freshwater dip get the worm out of the rock without killing everything else on the rock?

if I were you I'd just leave the little guy, he seems nice, I would only think of separating him if he gets too big, I'll be surprised if he exceeds 8 inches, if he does get bigger than 8 tell me.

If it becomes a problem and I want to remove it, what's the best way? The rock is small enough where I can remove it from the tank. Would a freshwater dip get the worm out of the rock without killing everything else on the rock?

If you plan on killing it, I will take him and put him into my 18 Gallon fuge, he looks awesome. I'd pay shipping and everything. :lol:

I'll give him a chance and see how big he gets.

Amphipod is often spot on, so I'd be willing to take a chance.

one good way is bait him with food fare cough away that he doesn't have more than a centimeter of body hiding in the rock, and grab him out swiftly but carefully, it's like night crawler hunting, that's the safest way because freshwater dips can kill lots of things you want to keep .

I'm never out that direction sadly. So I assume you do not want him? If not, we can certainly figure something out.

I think in such a small tank I'd prefer to find it a new home instead of waiting for it to turn into a problem, or killing it. I should be able to ship it, rock is fist sized so it shouldn't be expensive.

Archived