Top Shelf Aquatics

Jeff's Fusion 10G

mclayj

Hey everybody - I just moved back home (Toronto, Canada) from LA after three years and am setting up a Fusion 10G. The goal is to keep it as simple (i.e., as few cords as possible) and maintenance free as possible.

Equipment list

IM Fusion 10

Nanobox mini tide w/ bluefish mini (currently using IM 18W light until the nanobox arrives)

Sicce 1.0 return pump & IM spinstream (Hopefully negates any need for powerhead in the display)

Intank media basket

Tunze osmolator nano

Cobalt neotherm 50W heater

Current Livestock

8lbs of live rock from my LFS' system & 1/2" of Tropic Eden reefflakes

Proposed Livestock

1 small snowflake clown

1 goby / shrimp pair

1 porcelain crab

1 pederson shrimp?

A few hardy LPS / softie corals

The tank became wet today:

IMG_0006_zpsrgc8dvnn.jpg

IMG_0004_zpswruejt0v.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Looks nice. I think the stocking options are good.

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to keep the bio-load low so once the clown grows substantially, I'll make sure he gets moved to a larger tank.

Today I had to move the tank from the kitchen island (where I wanted it) to the office desk (where my girlfriend wanted it) but I used that opportunity to slow down the Sicce 1.0 a few notches. I'm much happier now because it is not blowing the sand out of the front right corner but still creates decent flow throughout the aquarium thanks to the spinstream. I've seen a few asterina starfish that must have come with the liverock which I take as a good sign as well.

Wow, your equipment is perfect! Love the scape and looking forward to seeing how you stock it!

Whats the plan? SPS? LPS?

Thanks. The current plan is to keep things simple and stock with 1-2 smaller fish and some choice LPS pieces. I'd prefer just a few corals that can grow than stuffing it full of smaller frags. That being said, I'm sure a piece or two of SPS will find its way into the tank once it is nice and established.

Looking forward to this Jeff. Hoping it will arrive soon!

Thanks Dave. I just got an email that the package is at my concierge so I will hopefully be able to get the light on the tank this weekend (I'm currently traveling for work and unsure of when I will be back home).

Forgot to mention - I updated the proposed livestock section on the original post. I am planning to get some interesting invertebrates including a porcelain crab and potentially a pederson shrimp.

My girlfriend sent me a picture last night freaking out because the sand was changing color but looks like the cycle is proceeding as planned as the tank now has diatoms on the rocks and sand. I'm surprised how quickly they came but maybe it's because a used live rock out of my LFS' tank system? Either way I don't plan to start introducing livestock of any kind for a few more weeks.

reefernanoman

My girlfriend sent me a picture last night freaking out because the sand was changing color but looks like the cycle is proceeding as planned as the tank now has diatoms on the rocks and sand. I'm surprised how quickly they came but maybe it's because a used live rock out of my LFS' tank system? Either way I don't plan to start introducing livestock of any kind for a few more weeks.

Excellent. Patience is the key to long term success. Good luck!

I went to my local LFS to look at corals this weekend and came home with a few snails. Unfortunately they were out of nassarius snails but picked up 4 trochus snails. Everyone is doing well after two days and they have made a decent dent on the diatoms/algae already.

I just finished a water change, replacing 2.5G. I'll test parameters at the end of the week and if everything is well, like they currently are, I may go pick up a small fish. Ammonia has been 0 since last Wednesday. I believe there was very little cycle as the 8lbs of liverock was pulled directly out of my LFS' mature system.

I opened the Nanobox light this weekend and realized that it had been sent with the wrong sized gooseneck (13" vs. 9"). Dave has been really awesome and is shipping me another light with the proper gooseneck asap. After seeing the new line of lights he just announced, I wish I had waited another month before starting the tank haha

And finally, my girlfriend has gotten way more into the tank than I ever expected. Ever since I showed her the new IM lagoon series video last week, she has been asking for an upgrade already haha I told her it would have to wait until mid-to-late next year but she's hinting that it may be under the tree this December haha

Picked up a small snowflake clown this evening. The cuc has been doing a great job of cleaning up the tank and the parameters have continued to be great this week.

IMG_1183_zpskb7ana5a.jpg

IMG_1190_zpslxhsiir9.jpg

Plan to wait another week or two before purchasing the first corals.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a couple weeks but I've slowly added corals. Everything has been doing well so far. Started with a small frag of peach colored zoas and a red mushroom, followed by a purple zoa frag and a cool looking chalice, and finally added a purple and green hammer coral today. Once the hammer gets settled in, I'm planning to switch the hammer and purple zoa frags placements as that will get the hammer further away from the other corals. Also thinking about taking out the small piece of liverock and replacing it with a plate coral or clam once the nano box finally arrives. Let me know what you all think.

IMG_0021_zpsz5mfgjwr.jpg

IMG_0022_zpsjzooyj9t.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived