Coral Vue Hydros

HOB Refugium and / or skimmer - Finnex ?

Dazed1

I'm looking to add a HOB refugium and / or a skimmer for 5.5g tank to make things easier.

Also makes it cleaner to put the heater

Since its a small 5.5g tank, I came across the Finnex HOB, with a pump + LED light. It seems pretty reasonable for the price:

http://smile.amazon.com/Finnex-External-Refugium-Breeder-Hang-/dp/B008CGWKKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440301185&sr=8-2&keywords=finnex+fuge&pebp=1440301190704&perid=0J3KZ3FR20HH87GED750

Thoughts? Also concerned about having a hang on on the back of a 5.5g tank. Maybe I'll get something to hold it more stably. The tank is on the kitchen counter, so there is room in the back / below the refugium to keep it from not putting weight on the tank.

The good thing with a fuge is having chaeto + small rocks that can promote growth of pods and other beneficial things.

Yeah that's true. But you can't have a pod eating fish in a 5.5 gallon anyway, so what would you be achieving?

I'm looking to add a HOB refugium and / or a skimmer for 5.5g tank to make things easier.

Also makes it cleaner to put the heater

Since its a small 5.5g tank, I came across the Finnex HOB, with a pump + LED light. It seems pretty reasonable for the price:

http://smile.amazon.com/Finnex-External-Refugium-Breeder-Hang-/dp/B008CGWKKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440301185&sr=8-2&keywords=finnex+fuge&pebp=1440301190704&perid=0J3KZ3FR20HH87GED750

Thoughts? Also concerned about having a hang on on the back of a 5.5g tank. Maybe I'll get something to hold it more stably. The tank is on the kitchen counter, so there is room in the back / below the refugium to keep it from not putting weight on the tank.

I have used this before primarily to get the I phone working in my tank. I have seen people use as an HOB for chaeto. It might work as a refugium for chaeto cannot say for sure. No harm in trying.

It is pretty stable and will not fall.

Archived