Pod Your Reef

BTA Propagation Tank

PDR

So I've gone back and fourth but I decided to start a BTA propagation tank for fun/maybe make some extra $$. I just picked up a 36" 6 bulb ATI sunpower dimmable (Thanks Jay!). I have posted this on another forum but would also like my nano-reef friends to chime in :)

For the tank I am looking at the 48x24x12 deep blue. I plan to go bare bottom and sumpless for now, with a AC110 for media and add a HOB skimmer when needed.

Here are my questions.

1. What would be the best budget powerhead for this setup? Also what is the best way to protect against the anemones getting sucked into them?

2. What should I have in the tank for the anemones to attach to? Should I make something multilevel? I don't want rock due to the difficulty of removing the anemones. I am looking into the marine pure plates for bio filtration and possibly making multi-level shelves out of hdpe board.

3. I want to keep some fish in the tank to help keep the bio filter stable. What would you recommend for this size tank? I would really like a pair of Clarkii or Maroon clowns, but I hear that they may bother healing anemones.

4. Ive read a lot about BTA's needing a mature tank, but this is never mentioned in propagation tank threads. Is this not a factor in propagation tanks? If so, why?

5. Any other comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Well I can tell you to do it for fun not profit. They take forever to split on there own so not much profit unless you want to cut them. Not really a mature tank but a stable tank is what I recommend.

Well I can tell you to do it for fun not profit. They take forever to split on there own so not much profit unless you want to cut them. Not really a mature tank but a stable tank is what I recommend.

I do primarily want to do it for fun. If anything I can sell any to my lfs to help fund the tank.

icedearth15324

I know BRS actually has a video somewhere of a BTA propagation tank and it actually has a lot of helpful info.

They recommend these, http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-1-1-2-spheres.html,

which can both handle filtration, and give the BTAs something to attach to. I've thought about doing the same but just don't have the room or funds to set something up.

I'd definitely stay away from maroons at least, I had a pair that killed 3 of my BTAs cause they smothered them to death. Not sure about clarkiis though. Plus they can get mean which could make getting BTAs out difficult.

After doing some more research I have changed some of my plans but am pretty set on the following.

48x18x12 tank - mainly because I couldn't source a reasonably priced stand for the 24" and I'm not interested in building one.

Marine pure plate - I looked into the spheres but I think the plate will work better for what I'm wanting to accomplish.

Several shelves of various heights of hdpe boards supported with larger pvc legs so the nems can access them easily.

Ac110 for filtration and flow tbd.

Not sure on fish yet.

Well I changed some things up even more lol, but I have the following ordered.

Tank: 30 gallon breeder

Heater: 100w Cobalt Neotherm 2x

PH: Cobalt MJ1200 with hydor flo 2x (will add additional as needed)

Filtration: AC110

Bio: Marinepure Block

Lighting: ATI Dimmable 36" 6 bulb

My current plan is to seed the tank with some matrix media I have from an established tank. Add CUC once it cycles, (still haven't decided on if I want any fish in this tank) then add my first BTA. I plan to watch and see how it reacts to the tank, and once its "happy", feeding, and healthy I will start propagating.

Thats the simple version at least. I'm sure there will be many unexpected changes along the way.

Any and all advise is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

PDR, I'm very interested to see how this is going for you these days.

The BSR videos got me pumped a while back, but I haven't looked in to the demand for RTBA in my city or in Canada. I'd hate to have a small army with nowhere go haha...

PDR, I'm very interested to see how this is going for you these days.

The BSR videos got me pumped a while back, but I haven't looked in to the demand for RTBA in my city or in Canada. I'd hate to have a small army with nowhere go haha...

Unfortunately I ended up ditching the BTA idea at the last second and set it up as a frag tank instead.

Archived