Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Low Calcium

B.LaCe

So our 30g tank has been running for 6 weeks and we've began to add livestock (fish). I took some water to my LFS to test in hopes that we could add corals soon. Our Magnesium tested at ~1600-1700, Calcium was 330. Our Alk was tested at home has been >300 ppm or >16dkh. Ph is about 7.9 and we will be slowly raising our salinity from 1.023 to 1.024-1.025. Temp is at 78.5 and we make our own RODI and mix IO salt.

I know our Magnesium is high, Calcium is low and Alk is really high. Just wondering what we should do to balance everything. I'd like our Ph to be a little bit higher and Calcium to be ~420. I already plan to raise the salinity but what else should we be doing in preparation for corals in the next month or so? Kalkwasser? A two-part like B-Ionic in our ATO? Will these raise our Calcium enough or should we dose with a standalone Calcium supplement and THEN begin to dose a 2-part or Kalkwasser?

Our LFS said to dose a capful of PurpleUp per week to raise Calcium (they have 2 part B-Ionic and didn't even mention it). After reading about PurpleUp I realized it doesn't dissolve and wouldn't raise my tanks Calcium level. Just looking for some advice!

I would first re-test the alkalinity - maybe at the same LFS. It is possible that your test kit at home is giving an error.

KALK raises both alk and calcium so I would not go that route.

A calcium supplement is best - it will say calcium on the jar/bottle. It won't say purple up or something fancy.

Kent, brightwell, seachem, salifert, TLF all make a calcium supplement.

Also I would mix your bucket of salt really well before making the next batch of water.

I used a different (Red Sea) test kit and Alk was off the scale high. I'm aware that Red Sea kits aren't the most accurate. I'm thinking of going to my other LFS and picking up a Salifert test kit. I'm think of supplementing with a Calcium additive now. Then once things are closer to balanced, using a two part or Kalk to keep things balanced. Thoughts?

Archived