Cultivated Reef

Pygmy Octopus Question

Dreichler

I thought about doing a setup for one. Learned most have a very short lifeapan( the Pygmy ones) and by the time you get them it's a mostly over. I read for weeks trying to figure out a way, abandoned it after a while.

So it sounds like you really want an octopus and I don't think anyone has commented that has actually kept an octopus.

So that being said you can either try your idea - which if I were to attempt this I would probably use an enclosure like that or possibly a critter keeper or something with a powerhead directed at it so there's some flo. Or you can not try your idea. Someone is going to though...

The funny thing is that octopus are pretty common for eating but not that common live. Maybe you'll get a few months of enjoyment ? I would be less concerned about the space required for one (within reason) and focus on providing an appropriate diet.

If you did want a larger enclosure for it though you could get a large size critter keeper and sink it into a 10g - that might provide more space.

Archived