Cultivated Reef

Cycling question.

skrillay0

My build thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364323-skrillay0-im-fusion-10-build/#entry5116304

Here is my test for today. My question is after my ammonia level is 0PPM do i keep adding ammonia or let the nitrite and nitate go down. I overdosed 8PPM ammonia a week ago. Should I worry about the high levels or give it some time.

Thanks fellow Reefers

20154345403_c4be214563_k.jpgIMG_9006 by Skrilla yO, on Flickr

Don't dose any additional ammonia. Let it do it's thing. Personally, I'd do a water change as soon as the nitrites go down to 0.

I thought you need to let the nitrite-processing bacteria build up now. You also need to maintain the ammonia-processing bacteria so you need to keep adding ammonium chloride. Once the ammonia and nitrate are processed quickly in to nitrate, you're cycled.

I think it's explained quite well on the Dr Tim's website.

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start

You may need to do a partial water change to bring your nitrite down to a level that won't inhibit the process.

Don't dose any additional ammonia. Let it do it's thing. Personally, I'd do a water change as soon as the nitrites go down to 0.

What she said^

:) Patience is key!

Its a 10 Gal tank but after the live rocks and sand its only 7 gals. How much water should i change after nititres goes down to 0 PPM?

Yes you add more ammonia! You don't just add it once and let it go away, that would defeat the entire damn process.

You are adding ammonia in an effort to grow beneficial bacteria! The only way you will be able to determine you have "enough" beneficial bacteria to sustain life harmoniously is when you can see that the added ammonia is dropped to nearly 0 in a matter of 24 hours. The byproduct "Nitrates" Will then be at an all time high, therefore the 70% water Change.

Most people start at 2ppm, bringing it back up daily till it's wiping out half of it within 24 hours, then comes the Nitrite spike you can then just add a little to keep it at 1, and finally when nitrates are through the roof and the tank can clear 1ppm in 24 hours you are set. though looking at your tests, I would say bring it up to 1ppm and retest in 24 hours, if its gone don't add anymore just wait for the nitrites to disappear.

That's very high but at least your seeing the nitrite and nitrate. I would do a water change (3 gallon or so) every other day and bring that nitrate down. I would stop the ammonia for now. Once that nitrate is down then maybe test with some ammonia and see how it's converting within a 24 hour period.

I let it do its thing and i did a water change. Everything is at 0PPM and my PH is 8.0. I dosed more ammonia and it cleared in 24hrs.

Archived