ReefCleaners.org

New 20L nano reef

BayStYat

I am new to salt but not new to fresh. I am currently building a non sump non protien skimmer 20gal reef.

My fresh is a 75 all native tank to the Mississippi Bayous. Everything in my tank comes from Rotten Bayou and Bayou Laterre

My reef build will consist of

20L
Acuaclear 70 with intank media basket
Acuaclear 20 for surface skimming
Aqueon 150wt heater
Hydor Koralia nano 240
DIY in-tank overflow for surface skimming
Current USA Orbit Marine Led Pro
Custom hood being built
20 Lbs of dry rock from BRS
20Lbs of live sand

I am going to have a very small bio load. I will have 2 fish, some coral and many encrustations.

Please feel free to critique my set up. I am new.

20150819_181008_zpsypbu7y6c.jpg20150819_180431_zpszhq0g7ch.jpg20150821_184239_zpsdacwwpt6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

do you think that skimmer is good enough for my JBJ 28? i took the hood off for an AI Prime, so do you think it'll fit it the back chamber?

do you think that skimmer is good enough for my JBJ 28? i took the hood off for an AI Prime, so do you think it'll fit it the back chamber?

I would love to be able to help you out but unfortunately I am new to all this myself.

In my opinion I wouldn't run a skimmer on anything really less than 40g or 50g. I was running a DIY skimmer on my 20 and based on growth, coloration, health, etc for the corals and fish I ended up taking it off.

The biggest filtration for anything nano is going to be water changes.

That's an awesome setup man! Welcome to the best hobby ever! Can't wait for more pics when you get it wet.

Thanks. its been fun learning. I am at day 7 on the cycle.

Archived