ReefCleaners.org

Coralife mini T5 question

Hig789

I would love to add a few t5's to my hood to supplement some more blue into my tank. I had the idea of getting a coralife mini t5 fixture and gutting it so I could separate the bulbs to go on each side of my nanobox small retro.

I haven't read good reviews on the fixture though and don't even know if it would be possible to gut it and make it work. Also I don't know if the little 6w bulbs would even make any difference(personally I don't believe they will). My nanobox runs at 70% blues and 40% whites so I think they would over power the little t5's.

Might just wait till I get a bigger tank to add some t5's to it.

Thoughts?

It can completely be taken apart and you can put the parts under your own fixture. I know because I have one and curiosity took the best of me and I took it apart to see the inside of it, it is now back together, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.

The reviews used to be great - but the reviews I've seen from the last year or two are all that bulbs burn out VERY quickly, as in weeks.

Thats what i remember being the downfall. I was going to purchase this light but stayed away because coralife was the only one to make replacement bulbs in that size. this was a while back though. Also, there white is very yellow imo.

Yeah that's what I had read also. Not the fixture it's the bulbs that are crap. I would only be using the atinics.

My tank is 15" deep and my LEDs are mounted about 3" off the water surface. Not sure those 6w bulbs would do much but I'm not sure

What size tank is it ? I really don't think you'd see any added "blue" to the tank. Maybe just "brighter".

I just my DIY LED light in my 4 bulb fixture and ran the outer 2 bulbs,and it didn't add more blue just made it bright. And that was a single NBR puck and 2 Blue+ bulbs from ATI. I'm sure it'll add/added some good par,but in your case I don't think it'd add enough light to make it worth the $70 or so you'd be spending.

Archived