Innovative Marine Aquariums

Picking up my first Derasa clam Sunday!

OCNcheffy

Alright so my Nuvo 16g tank has been up and running for about a year now with almost no issues. I currently have very low nitrate and phosphate and my alkalinity is around 7.8-8dkh. My lighting is two AI Primes sitting at 85% peak for 4 hours. The current livestock is as follows:

-Two clowns

-One bicolor blenny

-Cleaner shrimp

Is they're anything I need to know/do before Sunday to be sure this clam will do well? It's very small, about 2" across only.. I've seen it in the LFS and it's wide open and doing well for the past week. I do understand they suck your calcium like nothing, and I have not tested my calcium either. I do use IO reef crystals to compensate for a mostly LPS tank.

Any input is appreciated!

Alright so my Nuvo 16g tank has been up and running for about a year now with almost no issues. I currently have very low nitrate and phosphate and my alkalinity is around 7.8-8dkh. My lighting is two AI Primes sitting at 85% peak for 4 hours. The current livestock is as follows:

-Two clowns

-One bicolor blenny

-Cleaner shrimp

Is they're anything I need to know/do before Sunday to be sure this clam will do well? It's very small, about 2" across only.. I've seen it in the LFS and it's wide open and doing well for the past week. I do understand they suck your calcium like nothing, and I have not tested my calcium either. I do use IO reef crystals to compensate for a mostly LPS tank.

its a great clam, and grow fast, but also be aware that they are susceptible to a bacterial infection but i treated mine in a bath with melefix if remember correct. i have 3 clams and they dont suck that much calc, but test regularly

-Two clowns

-One bicolor blenny

-Cleaner shrimp

Slow acclimation, best way is a drip.

Not TOO wide open at the LFS (Gaping?), right?

Slow acclimation, best way is a drip.

Not TOO wide open at the LFS (Gaping?), right?

Nope just open the right amount! I'll post a pic once I have it acclimated in my tank on Sunday.

Well here it is! Looking really healthy so far.. The skirts are gently moving with the flow, is that alright?

UzmdArX.jpg

as long as the clam isnt being blown around the tank your fine

• 2 weeks later...

Archived