Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RO Buddie vs Full 4 Stage

DurocShark

I have both in my lukewarm large hands right now:

oqplF3W.jpg

The RO Buddie is quite a bit smaller. I have to find a new mounting point for the new rig.

I'm upgrading because this summer they significantly increased the amount of chloramine in my tap, and the stock carbon cartridge couldn't keep up. I was burning through DI resin like mad. In the pic you can see that the resin is about 20% exhausted. That was after a single 3 gallon water bottle. The carbon just wasn't cutting it.

The cost to replace it with a standard sized canister was high enough that I decided to just replace the whole thing. That set is $200 at MarineDepot, and while I don't really care about the TDS meter, the pressure gauge and backflush valve will be nice.

I may piggyback the RO membrane from the RO Buddie onto the new one. :)

I forget all the reasons (stuff like water pressure and higher TDS water being fed into the second membrane). It might increase the output, but it won't increase the quality (as the waste water is fed into the second membrane). It can be done, but unless you really need to make more water daily, it's probably not worth it.

Holy crap thats a lot of TDS. Im near Boston with about 100 out of the faucet, my RO buddy has been going strong for 6gallons a week x7months still producing 0 TDS

Holy crap thats a lot of TDS. Im near Boston with about 100 out of the faucet, my RO buddy has been going strong for 6gallons a week x7months still producing 0 TDS

Yeah, if I was just doing my nano, I'd keep the RO Buddie. But doing 30 gallons at a time with this crappy water is just brutal.

Hey I'm looking for 5g a week, maybe the RO Buddy would work for me. I need to test the TDS of our well water and ROmwater though

Dual membrane RO systems take the waste from the first membrane and feed it to the second one combining the good water from both for approximately double the production. The waste ratio still needs to stay in the 3 or 4 to 1 range though as you are feeding concentrated TDS to the second membrane and it will fail prematurely if not kept flushed. I suppose if your tap water TDS was only 50 to begin with you could reduce the waste but for the average Joe in the US with a TDS of 250 or better its not really a savings of water. You will also need a tap water pressure of 65 or better to make it work or you will not have enough pressure to drive the second membrane. Companies like Spectrapure have sold dual membrane systems for years and years but they do not promote them as water saving systems since they really are not.

http://www.spectrapure.com/huds/DUAL.pdf

SpectraPure does offer a (fairly pricy) 1:1 high efficiency system: http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/MaxCap-1-1-Ultra-High-Efficiency-100-GPD-RO-DI-System

Even if you exhaust the resin at the rate I am, 5 gallons a week is still affordable. I buy the color changing resin from BRS and it isn't expensive. I still get 0 TDS out of the Buddie.

SpectraPure does offer a (fairly pricy) 1:1 high efficiency system: http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/MaxCap-1-1-Ultra-High-Efficiency-100-GPD-RO-DI-System

Ahh, thanks. Not worth messing with then. :(

Hey I'm looking for 5g a week, maybe the RO Buddy would work for me. I need to test the TDS of our well water and ROmwater though

I know I do too. I was looking at the SpectraPure 90 GPD, but I'm thinking it is touch for me to handle for just 5g a week.

I know I do too. I was looking at the SpectraPure 90 GPD, but I'm thinking it is touch for me to handle for just 5g a week.

That unit is good, even for limited use. The total cost of operation is probably lower than cheaper systems and you will be able to make water faster.

That unit is good, even for limited use. The total cost of operation is probably lower than cheaper systems and you will be able to make water faster.

But can I connect it and disconnect it once I'm doing using it and I have made sure it is completely flushed because I have limited space where I am staying so thats a big disadvantage for me.

And you have a greater variety of options for the carbon and sediment filters. That was the reason I upgraded.

The DI cart in the Buddie is refillable, and the RO cart is standard sized. So those can use whatever you want to put in them. But the carbon and sediment filters are sealed, non standard units.

If you're making small amounts of water, any quality issues with the carbon (such as poor chloramine removal) can be made up for by the DI. But that gets messy and expensive if you make larger amounts.

Spectrapure used to have cheap refurb units, dunno if they still do. I went with the MD one because of the value add of the pressure gauge and the flush valve. The TDS meter isn't a big deal to me, I have a handheld that tested within a few points of a calibrated one a friend spent a ton of money on. That and they have offices local to me. I like supporting local whenever I can.

But can I connect it and disconnect it once I'm doing using it and I have made sure it is completely flushed because I have limited space where I am staying so thats a big disadvantage for me.

There are a number of hook up options. I like this stop valve (which hooks up just after your cold water shut off valve and doesn't alter your plumbing in any way). I'm sure you could find room under one of your sinks. You could also use a faucet diverter if you prefer. Also, you want to store the unit full of water (so that it doesn't dry out the membrane).

I like that stop valve.

Seabass, are you aware of any proper quick disconnects? I'm tired of fiddling with the push connect fittings to pop the line out of my trash can. I've looked a couple times and haven't seen anything that feels right.

yeah my faucet can't be used because its one of those modern ones with a square tip and you pretty much can't screw nothing to it. When I get home ill take a picture of the bottom of my sink.

Seabass, are you aware of any proper quick disconnects? I'm tired of fiddling with the push connect fittings to pop the line out of my trash can. I've looked a couple times and haven't seen anything that feels right.

IME, most of them are pretty similar. There are some for garden hose threads, but that doesn't help most of us (and I'm not sure if I'd trust them 100% for an unattended indoor connection). If possible, hook it up in an area where you don't have to disconnect it (maybe somewhere where you haven't considered before, like hooked up to the washing machine feed).

I meant for the 1/4" tubing. I have a float valve in my trash can, and fill it from the RODI. But when I'm done mixing, I need to roll it closer to the tank, requiring me to disconnect the line from the RODI. The RODI stays on the wall behind my washing machine.

HAH! I was thinking about making something like that!

I've found that after 20-30 disconnects the tubing gets worn enough that I have to trim it or it leaks. I'm afraid the fitting itself will wear out as well. That's why I was hoping for a true quick disconnect.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

That's a good bump.

But since it's refreshed... All I can add to this thread is that I have an RO buddie with DI here in NYC. I use about 5-7 gallons per week, but after <9 months, the sediment cartridge is completely clogged and it produces only 100% waste water. That's after roughly 200 gallons of product water. Also, the system slowed down so much that it now takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours to produce a gallon while the waste to product ratio is 10:1 when I bypass the sediment filter. Sure those filters aren't that expensive to replace, but what a pain.

I just ordered a spectrapure maxcap - should arrive tomorrow. It felt like overkill, but I think it's an investment up front that will be less maintenance and more convenience in the long run.

Archived