Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SP-240-48 fan cycling?

xmas_one

I'm running a Mean Well SP-240-48 to power my LDDs and my Bluefish off of a o2surplus board. Everything works great, but the power supply fan cycles on and off maybe every 30 seconds when the lights are off. It's not incredibly loud, just slightly annoying. I could run the Bluefish off of another power supply, but I'm trying to avoid the extra wires. Anyone else been down this road have a good fix, thanks in advance.

I'm running a Mean Well SP-240-48 to power my LDDs and my Bluefish off of a o2surplus board. Everything works great, but the power supply fan cycles on and off maybe every 30 seconds when the lights are off. It's not incredibly loud, just slightly annoying. I could run the Bluefish off of another power supply, but I'm trying to avoid the extra wires. Anyone else been down this road have a good fix, thanks in advance.

So you have the O2 bluefish mini board with SCW slots? Or just an O2 LDD board with fans going directly to a 12V power supply?

So you have the O2 bluefish mini board with SCW slots? Or just an O2 LDD board with fans going directly to a 12V power supply?

Yep, its the Bluefish Mini board with SCWs. The fan that is being annoying is actually the one on the Mean Well power supply that is running everything.

I had the same issue my Meanwell supplies. I got around the problem by replacing the noisy internal fan with a very quiet, but larger externally mounted fan. The fans shared the same style connector and pin out, so It was a simple swap.

I had the same issue my Meanwell supplies. I got around the problem by replacing the noisy internal fan with a very quiet, but larger externally mounted fan. The fans shared the same style connector and pin out, so It was a simple swap.

Nice, is there a particular fan you could recommend?

Nice, is there a particular fan you could recommend?

Not really. I have dozens laying around the house, so I just grabbed one and slapped it on. Turned out to be a 12V SilenX 80mm rated for 33CFM and 12dB. It's whisper quiet, but provides plenty of air to keep the power supply cool and happy. Check out your local Fry's Electronics, they'll have something similar.

Found a fan that should be more quiet on eBay.

Superred 60 mm Quiet Cooling Fan - 12 V DC - 18 CFM - 19 dB - CHB6012 super red

I ordered one, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

That one is not IP67.

It's IP65 though which is good enough for our purposes unless mounted in such a way submersion is possible.

To OP: sorry for going of topic.

It's IP65 though which is good enough for our purposes unless mounted in such a way submersion is possible.

To OP: sorry for going of topic.

The point is that the A version offers no advantage over the other one when using LDD so why pay the same amount of money for a less durable psu.

The point is that the A version offers no advantage over the other one when using LDD so why pay the same amount of money for a less durable psu.

I find the ability to adjust the Vout to 51.2VDC to be quite useful.
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a fan that should be more quiet on eBay.

Superred 60 mm Quiet Cooling Fan - 12 V DC - 18 CFM - 19 dB - CHB6012 super red

I ordered one, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Finally got a little time to swap out the fan. I had to splice in the old fan's plug as the new one was different. The new fan is MUCH more quiet! 9/10, would replace again.

Next day edit: New fan does not annoyingly cycle constantly regardless of the load like the old fan. The new fan is off when the lights are off and was on the whole time when the lights were on except for the end of the photoperiod when the LEDs were very dim at the end of the ramp.

Archived