Cultivated Reef

Timed O2 blast for coral growth/health?

HarryPotter

I've heard and read a lot about the importance of O2 in our mixed reef tanks. Oxygenated water seems to be better for fish & corals, so why doesn't anyone try to add more O2?

My proposition:

Use a simple air pump for 5 seconds every 5 minutes right into the Vortech. That blasts the bubbles to bits, micro bubbles, and hence makes the water more oxygenated.

Am I missing something here? Why no bubblers in reef tanks?

Skimmers do a way better job than just an air stone. That and Salt creep buildup really sucks from all the splashing water.

If you wanted to really dose it up you'd need pure O2 fed to the intake of a skimmer for optimal diffusion.

Skimmers do a way better job than just an air stone. That and Salt creep buildup really sucks from all the splashing water.

If you wanted to really dose it up you'd need pure O2 fed to the intake of a skimmer for optimal diffusion.

My skimmer is small, a PLS-50.

There wouldn't be salt creep due to the micro sized bubbles that the Vortech makes!

I'm not really planning on doing this, but am wondering why nobody (especially those who struggle with low PH) has tried it

Corals produce their own O2

Right, just like plants. But for fish and other critters oxygenation is very important and even better at high(re) levels, right?

jedimasterben

Uh, why would there not be salt creep? Smaller bubbles don't matter (and an MP10 would not make small bubbles), they will still pop.

My skimmer is small, a PLS-50.

There wouldn't be salt creep due to the micro sized bubbles that the Vortech makes!

I'm not really planning on doing this, but am wondering why nobody (especially those who struggle with low PH) has tried it

Right, just like plants. But for fish and other critters oxygenation is very important and even better at high(re) levels, right?

Oxygen saturation in seawater is very low, only so much can dissolve.

Uh, why would there not be salt creep? Smaller bubbles don't matter (and an MP10 would not make small bubbles), they will still pop.

Oxygen saturation in seawater is very low, only so much can dissolve.

Minimal salt creep because it is a rimless tank and the water level is 2" below top. I don't mind salt creep on the exposed interior glass. I clean that when I do tank maintenance anyway. And from personal experience I can tell you that putting air under a MP10 with foam cover makes a LOT of micro bubbles!

So there's a point where there is no benefit of more O2 for fish besides when you run out of H2O ;)

Bubbles popping on the surface (even micro bubbles) splash water everywhere, my tank braces and LED array splash guards are a testament to that lol.

Even a small skimmer will be putting plenty of oxygen in the water, also rippling water on the surface will increase gas exchange.

I haven't read anything lately, but a lot of people used to say bubbles sticking to SPS cause STN and kill the coral and LPS can get air trapped in their polyps and this rots the flesh. But I have also seen a tank thread where a guy hooked up an air line and solenoid to his closed loop system so once or twice a day the tank would get a micro bubble blast and he found no ill affects.

• 7 months later...

Archived