Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hanna Calcium Checker

Steensj2004

UPDATE:

I had ordered a NYOS calcium test kit and I was getting readings from 80 to 100 ppm lower than the Hanna checker. I decided to order a calibration kit from Hanna so I could see what readings I would get. So today, I received my Hanna calcium checker calibration check. It has been lab certified, with certification, to 400ppm. I performed the test(s), and I did 4 tests to see what readings I would get. I'm pleased to post the reults:

Test #1 = 405ppm

Test #2 = 401ppm

Test #3 = 400ppm

Test #4 = 400ppm

This confirms to me that the Hanna Cal checker is pretty darn accurate. I'm glad I didn't go by the the readings from the NYOS test kit, or I would have really over-dosed calcium.

Looks like you're good to go braaap.....

I really liked the NYOS kits at first, when I compared to Salifert, I found them to be off by a LOT. Also, they were wildly inconsistant, I had to clean everything including the syringes every time to get anything resembling consistancy. Salifert will stay my test of choice again.

30 ppm off for me on the unit I got from Steens. Not too bad.

What test kit did you compare it to? Hanna does claim a +/- 6% variance.

Glad to hear it. All I know is that even on the phone with a Hanna rep, doing the test step by step I never even came close to the right numbers. Glad it worked out for you!

• 5 weeks later...

anyone else have good or bad experience with this checker or the alk checker? As for the phosphate checker, which one is the most used for reefers?

• 5 months later...

I have both the low phosphate and Calcium tester.

The phosphate is easy to use and very accurate.

The calcium can be quite erratic.

Most of the time I need to do at least 3 test to confirm the result

Archived