20150928_185134_zps1k4uxihm.jpg

20150928_185126_zpsw0r0o31c.jpg

20150928_185042_zpsslk2jw2t.jpg

20150928_184547_zpsabpu8dc6.jpg

20150928_184519_zpso6qntzjb.jpg

20150928_184514_zpsxp4xw54s.jpg

20150928_184439_zpsvli6hnpx.jpg

20150928_184430_zpszxjzlblo.jpg

So lots of things going on, everything is acclimating pretty good and im figuring out this light finally. Finally getting the stuff adjusted like the skimmer and the downflow pipe to keep it silent and the ATO.

I have a baby ~2 inch 2 bar rabbit fish that im holding for a friend, he seems to just chase his reflection and swim against the glass all day which is kinda strange.. it eats great when i put mysis and pellets and flakes in but as soon as hes done eating he goes back to swimming against the glass all day.. not sure i like that.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all i got is my cell phone for photos and im not about to buy an expensive dslr camera lol so unfortunately this is the highest quality my pictures are gonna be which leads me to not want to post many pictures lol

20151007_075820_zpsmxhfuzyc.jpg

Meet squiggles! My favorite little Yasha goby! he always picks awesome spots to sit right in the front of the tank usually!

20150928_184538_zpsndiueh6g.jpg

And sylvester, the baby 2 barred rabbitfish that doesnt eat nori... Little concerned by that but he eats everything else like a pig so who knows.

Well all i got is my cell phone for photos and im not about to buy an expensive dslr camera lol so unfortunately this is the highest quality my pictures are gonna be which leads me to not want to post many pictures lol

haha, your photos are awesome. keep them coming.

Doin my best! plan to order some pukani and redo some of the scape soon. Lots of stuff in the works but all of it is very slow going lol

Updated photodump. Finally have t5's installed and man i love the look of the led+t5! from now till i stop reefing ill be keeping a hybrid light of some sort.

For bulbs i went with ATI and did Blue+, Purple + Coral + and blue + but im thinking of replacing the coral + with either an actinic bulb or another purple plus.

Also bought some Dry rock and tossed in the tank, little different scape and not nearly as open as before but with this setup there is a lot more options for growing coral.

And finally some pictures! Enjoy.

20151012_191758_zps4pi14d6f.jpg

View from the Left side of the tank

20151012_191748_zpst7ldt54v.jpg

View from the Right side

20151012_191627_zpsjvgzultj.jpg

Full Tank shot

20151012_191635_zpsvlslwmln.jpg

Where i think im gonna put the euphillya area. Currently on left side

20151012_191741_zpsl4npzvka.jpg

The unhappy RBTA.. hasnt been too happy since the swap over to this tank. Im thinking its from the change in lighting from PC to led/t5

20151012_072619_zps2ogkhnyk.jpg

Beautiful LTA, couldnt pass up the color. The nem is very small and this is a day after it was put in the tank. Going to let it sit here for a few days and hope it attaches to the bottom or side panel or somewhere. If it wont attach within a week or so ill probably take it back to the LFS.

20151012_191649_zpsk1795v2m.jpg

Shrooms

20151012_191641_zpsog1vb9r0.jpg

Rics

This is all less than 24 hours after adding the rock and messing with stuff so no one is overly happy in the photos, Ill try to upload some new ones once everhting settles down.

Really want my RBTA to go back to its former glory.. and would love for the LTA to settle in and maintain that irresistable color it has!

Update. So the nem has split. Probably due to the stress of the move and the lighting and I'm sure the tank swap. And it looks like one of the new halves is splitting again. So if I'm right I'll have 3, assuming I can keep them alive.... I'm pretty upset they're splitting due to stress.. :( anyone got any tips? I've already turned down the intensity of the lighting.. and I'll try spot feeding mysis once they settle down and move where they want to be. Also have the vortech turned off incase they decide to float around.

Update, Anemone split in 2 and not 3 like i had thought it was going to! Looking much better after split!

20151019_185906_zpsepa9zbwg.jpg

Update 2.. It appears my plating monti has begun to STN..... Not sure what its from but if i had to guess it was the 5 days without the vortech turned on. I had it off in case my anemones decided to release from the rock and i didnt want them sucked up and blended.

I noticed this on monday night (was away from home all weekend) and turned the vortech on monday night as well. You can see the edges have started peeling a decent amount, and there are 2 or 3 spots of flesh towards the middle that have dissapeared.

20151019_185506_zps3xea197d.jpg

20151019_185516_zps55tjq2h4.jpg

20151019_185523_zpsymhojb1o.jpg

What do i do to combat it? I have turned the vortech on to replace the missing flow, I am doing a watertest as my Hannah checkers came in finally so we will see if its a nutrient problem or not.

If it was just the flow will having it back on keep the stn from continuing?

Update! Got my first set of SPS corals from a local reefer in my club on saturday. Havent attached them anywhere, just acclimating to lighting and flow right now. Will attach in a few days.

sorry for the bad quality but here we go.

20151024_110422_zpsx8fyylbt.jpg

Left to right, Forrest fire Digi, Green slimer, purple stylo, red monti cap.

These all came from a MH system so im interested to see how the adapt to the LED/ T5 lighting. This is 15 minutes after doing a Bayer Dip and putting in the tank.

20151024_110610_zpsqkwiegat.jpg

About 5 minutes later in whiter light.

20151024_144539_zpsbr30xjki.jpg

Later that night, Great PE on all pieces!

20151025_180444_zpsvuvdck0i.jpg

Last night, Still good polyp extension and no color loss, infact the forrest fires base has turned the blue/green its supposed to be instead of the brownish color it came in as.

20151025_180600_zps8y1xnovq.jpg

20151025_180322_zpsiytweivw.jpg

20151024_144611_zpsoxyjfwdc.jpg

20151024_110544_zpsmioikj9s.jpg

20151025_180403_zps5xjrfxcn.jpg

20151025_180507_zpsx85bsvwo.jpg

Also got 3 heads of an interesting duncan, some AOG zoas and some green skirt zoas. Also pics of green mushrooms and ricordias just cause.

• 3 weeks later...

Love your tank! I got mine (Red Sea Reefer 250) in mid October and set it up immediately. Very very easy and well built. My only complaint is the sump doesn't leave a lot of room for reactors without them being external. My equipment so far is a eShopps s150 skimmer, titanium 300 watt heater, a deepwater BLDC5 return pump, Kessil AP700 lighting, and a Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050 circulation pump. Still waiting for some arms to mount the Kessil from the back of the tank from LeRusso Designs.

So far so good. Loaded with 60lbs live rock from established Aquarium, 40 lbs live sand (1 inch sand bed), and Coral Sea Pro water. So far, have a juvenile naso tang, a sail fin tang, a diamond goby, lyre tail anthias, 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 fire shrimp, a brittle star, a smaller nondescript star, scolymia button coral (green/orange), a torch coral, an acanthophyllia (meat coral), some pulsing xenia, a brain coral, and some orange zoanthids.

All chemistry has been stable. The only water chemistry not spot on is nitrates at 5 ppm - I'd like them to be closer to 0 ppm.

I'm running

dKH 10

phosphates 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 5

Ca 430

pH 8.2

Specific Gravity 1.024

temp 78

Everyone seems happy so far.

post-89673-0-90554300-1447226801_thumb.jpgpost-89673-0-64865900-1447226836_thumb.jpg

Update! Got my first set of SPS corals from a local reefer in my club on saturday. Havent attached them anywhere, just acclimating to lighting and flow right now. Will attach in a few days.

sorry for the bad quality but here we go.

20151024_110422_zpsx8fyylbt.jpg

Left to right, Forrest fire Digi, Green slimer, purple stylo, red monti cap.

These all came from a MH system so im interested to see how the adapt to the LED/ T5 lighting. This is 15 minutes after doing a Bayer Dip and putting in the tank.

20151024_110610_zpsqkwiegat.jpg

About 5 minutes later in whiter light.

20151024_144539_zpsbr30xjki.jpg

Later that night, Great PE on all pieces!

20151025_180444_zpsvuvdck0i.jpg

Last night, Still good polyp extension and no color loss, infact the forrest fires base has turned the blue/green its supposed to be instead of the brownish color it came in as.

20151025_180600_zps8y1xnovq.jpg

20151025_180322_zpsiytweivw.jpg

20151024_144611_zpsoxyjfwdc.jpg

20151024_110544_zpsmioikj9s.jpg

20151025_180403_zps5xjrfxcn.jpg

20151025_180507_zpsx85bsvwo.jpg

Also got 3 heads of an interesting duncan, some AOG zoas and some green skirt zoas. Also pics of green mushrooms and ricordias just cause.

Wow! Beautiful corals :)

Great photos too

Love your tank! I got mine (Red Sea Reefer 250) in mid October and set it up immediately. Very very easy and well built. My only complaint is the sump doesn't leave a lot of room for reactors without them being external. My equipment so far is a eShopps s150 skimmer, titanium 300 watt heater, a deepwater BLDC5 return pump, Kessil AP700 lighting, and a Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050 circulation pump. Still waiting for some arms to mount the Kessil from the back of the tank from LeRusso Designs.

So far so good. Loaded with 60lbs live rock from established Aquarium, 40 lbs live sand (1 inch sand bed), and Coral Sea Pro water. So far, have a juvenile naso tang, a sail fin tang, a diamond goby, lyre tail anthias, 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 fire shrimp, a brittle star, a smaller nondescript star, scolymia button coral (green/orange), a torch coral, an acanthophyllia (meat coral), some pulsing xenia, a brain coral, and some orange zoanthids.

All chemistry has been stable. The only water chemistry not spot on is nitrates at 5 ppm - I'd like them to be closer to 0 ppm.

I'm running

dKH 10

phosphates 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 5

Ca 430

pH 8.2

Specific Gravity 1.024

temp 78

Everyone seems happy so far.

attachicon.gifTank RSR250.jpgattachicon.gifcorals.jpg

Nice looking system! You might catch some heat for the Naso and sailfin though. Me personally, ive always thought that good husbandry in a well taken care of system will be more beneficial to the fish than more swimming room in a neglected tank. But that is also something that has to be within reason, not gonna put a panther grouper in a biocube.

Why do you have the scoly and meat coral so high up? arent those usually on the sand?

Wow! Beautiful corals :)

Great photos too

Thanks Harry! My new phone takes much more clear and color accurate colors, so hopefully i can get some time to get a few more new ones.

Great start Josh!

-Dave

Appreciate it! The colors im getting wouldnt be possible without that amazing light you made me!

Update.. Kole tang has ich. Not sure how it got in the system as it was added a month ago and is just now showing signs, and no other fish has been added. She doesnt look good and i dont think she will make it, Pale skin and the fins are starting to shred slightly. If she dies then everything ive ever bought at this high end fish store here in minnesota will have died in my system. Meaning that i will never again buy something that isnt off a vendor online with a guarantee and heavy quarantine process or from another reefer that fragged their colony in the tank.

Rant over.

Sorry to hear but ich could have been in your system prior to adding the kole. Unless you do your own medicated QT, there's no guarantee. I hate having my own QT system so I already expect to have ich in my new tank. Store can claim they QT but most will only do observation QT to make sure fish is healthy and eating. The fish can be infected with ich and not show signs for months or ever till they are stressed.

Your SPS looks great. I can't wait to start filling my 350 with corals.

the sticks look good for sure, but my plating monti is still STNing, it started a month ago and is still goin. I might just pull it as it hasnt colored up any either.

As for the ich in the system already you are right it probably was. I just wish i had room to set up a QT for medicating. Ill probably get a 10 gallon from petco and a HOB filter and a pvc pipe for the QT but i wont have one until i get rid of all the extra shit in my apartment. So i probably wont be buying any fish until i can get one and treat with prazipro and cupprimine prior to going into the display.

Glad to hear you finally got your 350! get a build thread going to so i can follow along! i wish i went with the bigger but in the end i really do like the 3 foot tank.. Maybe the next tank i get will be the 450 and ill pick up the red sea nano to go with it or something. But that wont be fore years.

On a side note my local frag swap is next weekend and i have some awesome sticks picked out. to include SSC and Pink Lemonade and a beautiful deep blue hawkins. so hopefully the do as well as the current ones!

Already started a build thread =)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367197-ninjas-red-sea-reefer-350-sump-it-up/

I thought long and hard about setting up a QT system. I have room but don't want to go through the hassle. It's a risk I am willing to take. I thought about using one of my nano tanks as an observation tank but there's still no guarantee there.

I want to have a SPS dominant tank too but not sure when I should start introducing SPS.

I still can't get over the color and PE of those frags 5 minutes after bayer. Who was the seller? Or just a hobbiest?

He was a local Hobbyist. Great guy and good prices, grows everything under metal halide still. I was ecstatic to see the PE right away. Not only that but on the forrest fire digi, the underlying color was a brown/gray/greenish color and now under the t5/led combo its coloring up to the proper light green its supposed to be (albiet slowly), The green birdsnest i got was missing alot of color and polyps due to being on the underside of the colony and its regaining color and i can see clear white polyps starting to grow there! win again!

Ill be adding more after the frag swap next weekend as well, just much smaller frags. hopefully they all make it as well as these ones did!

Already started a build thread =)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367197-ninjas-red-sea-reefer-350-sump-it-up/

I thought long and hard about setting up a QT system. I have room but don't want to go through the hassle. It's a risk I am willing to take. I thought about using one of my nano tanks as an observation tank but there's still no guarantee there.

I want to have a SPS dominant tank too but not sure when I should start introducing SPS.

Wonderful, ill follow along!

I added my first SPS about a month after the tank was set up. But just easy things like the slimer and the digi and some stylos. I should have waited longer but i thought since i brought over mostly established rock for the first 25lbs it would be okay and so far it has been! now i just cant wait till they start encrusting and growing out!

What's your new phone? Takes really good pictures

Samsung Galaxy s6 edge+

Great pics, wonderful screen but seems very fragile, battery life aint amazing and the reception is sub par.. not sure if im keeping it.

On a side note i have a bit of a problem... I tested Calcium with my Hanna Checker... and it came out as 557ppm. I do not dose or add anything. Just 10g water changes with reef crystals. What can i do? Is this bad? HAAAAAAAAALP PLZ

On a side note i have a bit of a problem... I tested Calcium with my Hanna Checker... and it came out as 557ppm. I do not dose or add anything. Just 10g water changes with reef crystals. What can i do? Is this bad? HAAAAAAAAALP PLZ

that looks about right with reef crystals. RC parameters are really elevated. My calcium is about the same when using RC so I never dose calcium. What's your alk? That's more important.

that looks about right with reef crystals. RC parameters are really elevated. My calcium is about the same when using RC so I never dose calcium. What's your alk? That's more important.

Didnt have time to test it last night. Last test was was 8.12dkh. this was on october 24th. I plan on testing tonight before my waterchange.

Will the high calcium hurt anything? or stunt growth?

Archived