Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer 250 (new photos 4/14)

davy jones

True. But id probably build the scape around being to see back there if i decide to go that route, make a peninsula of sorts so i can place corals on both sides.. Ill have to play with it and see

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE! Leak test was sucussful! Tank was damn near silent, like silent silent. Hopefully once its set up and i get everything dialed in and set correctly it stays that way smile.gif So the plan is to buy sand and start filling with saltwater in the next day or so

20150910_210307_zpsh5mv9tbk.jpg

20150910_210322_zpsmwaafqhe.jpg

20150910_211308_zpsfi98zyba.jpg

20150910_211344_zpsxazvpfp6.jpg

Right now the cables are running out the back of the stand, and i plan on attaching the eb8 and eb4 i have back there on the outside of the stand. After everything is hooked up ill clean up cabling a little and try to make it look nicer. I also need to cut off about 5" or so of the green return tubing to sit correctly. Definately wish the sump was a little bigger over all.. there is no room for expansion in its current state which im not too happy about. I guess its still better than no sump at all though which is what im used to haha

UPDATE! Filled the tank with water and sand on friday, Put 2 cups of established sand in the tank late saturday night and put 2 small pieces of live rock from current tank in on sunday evening. No pictures as its all cloudy but will post some as soon as it clears up! looks like that should be today or tomorrow finally.

I have the same tank and the same skimmer. I flipped the skimmer pump, attached the white plate on the other side and turned the volute 180 degrees to make it more compact. Is this something that shouldn't be done? My skimmer has been running very well after about 1 month break in.

20150909_071916_zps3geouvun.jpg

Vertex omega 150 barely fit in the sump. Hopefully since its used it wont have that long of a break in period! Also have the 2 neotherm 150 watt heaters in here, one in the downpipe chamber and the other in the return chamber (layed flat so the water level doesnt matter)

I have the same tank and the same skimmer. I flipped the skimmer pump, attached the white plate on the other side and turned the volute 180 degrees to make it more compact. Is this something that shouldn't be done? My skimmer has been running very well after about 1 month break in.

20150909_071916_zps3geouvun.jpg

Vertex omega 150 barely fit in the sump. Hopefully since its used it wont have that long of a break in period! Also have the 2 neotherm 150 watt heaters in here, one in the downpipe chamber and the other in the return chamber (layed flat so the water level doesnt matter)

Care to post a pic of what you mean?

Update! Light is scheduled to arrive friday! so that means this weekend i will be doing the transfer from the old tank and hopefully updateing with some pictures!

To do list:

Scrub a few spots with Hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush to get rid of a few bryopsis patches.

Get dimensions sent out for a custom poly carbonate rim around the tank with a inset for a screen top

Attempt to hang lights from the cieling... not sure how thatll work.

Transfer over rock, the few corals i have, the 3 fish, pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimps and the anemone.

Work on acclimating everything to the new light

Possibly pick up a used mp40, not sure on this aspect.

Care to post a pic of what you mean?

I cant post pics in this forum. just flip the pump. Taking your picture for reference, make the nozzle on the return pump point to the back of the sump.

Ive thought about the gyre but the cord in the tank kind of ruins the idea for my top. Its gonna be a poly carbonate rim all the way around the tank that goes in about 2 inches, then has a beveled inlay for a screen top to sit so it sits flush with the poly. custom done by a local with all the tools.

Ive thought about the gyre but the cord in the tank kind of ruins the idea for my top. Its gonna be a poly carbonate rim all the way around the tank that goes in about 2 inches, then has a beveled inlay for a screen top to sit so it sits flush with the poly. custom done by a local with all the tools.

does that local ship....? =P. sounds pretty neat.

Update! Light is scheduled to arrive friday! so that means this weekend i will be doing the transfer from the old tank and hopefully updateing with some pictures!

To do list:

Scrub a few spots with Hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush to get rid of a few bryopsis patches.

Get dimensions sent out for a custom poly carbonate rim around the tank with a inset for a screen top

Attempt to hang lights from the cieling... not sure how thatll work.

Transfer over rock, the few corals i have, the 3 fish, pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimps and the anemone.

Work on acclimating everything to the new light

Possibly pick up a used mp40, not sure on this aspect.

Nice build! wow.

Frame_zpsgfc3tfxm.jpg

Corner%20-%20Macro_zpsbuvkbyay.jpg

ReadyForFish%201_zps0yetxb0k.jpg

This is what he did for his tank, i really like how it turned out so im gonnna try it for mine.

Light is in transit and will be at my apartment before i get home!!! Plan on running to HD tonight after i inspect the light to get some longer hanging wire and a few toggle bolts.. dont want the light falling into the tank, that would be bad.

Next thing to deal with is figuring out how high off the water to hang the light.. im thinking about 6 inches off the water? or maybe 8 inches... Not sure. Also how do you guys do any tank maintenence with the light that close to the water, do you remove it? or just kind of push it out of the way?

Also hoping my skimmer settles down once i get all my stuff moved over.. right now it skims at the correct level for an hour or 2 and then all of the sudden it A: fills up so fast its flowing out the top of the skimmer cup with the lid on OR B: Drains way way down and fills the inside of the skimmer about 6 inches lower then the neck with a ring of disolved organics... really annoying.

Pics next week assuming the transfer goes good! (which is assuming the light is in working order and i can mount it over the tank!)

20150926_170612_zpsf5w12zuq.jpg

20150926_170908_zps9no7bszl.jpg

So the light is finally here! Just using LED right now, no t5 yet.

Second photo is the other rock I have from the old tank. It's just shelf rock, but I'm not sure how to put it in the tank and keep the island look I'm going for... any ideas?

More pics to follow!

20150926_170612_zpsf5w12zuq.jpg

20150926_170908_zps9no7bszl.jpg

So the light is finally here! Just using LED right now, no t5 yet.

Second photo is the other rock I have from the old tank. It's just shelf rock, but I'm not sure how to put it in the tank and keep the island look I'm going for... any ideas?

More pics to follow!

That's a really nice scape. I'm not sure how big your old rock is compared to the tank. How about moving the load bearing rock (to the right of the cleaner shrimp in your pic) to the left and forward making more room on the right and then make a similar looking group of rocks as you do now on the right side but bigger using the old rock too?

I actually think I'm going to order some dry pukani rock, so I can drill and acrylic rod into a large stable island, something that goes about 3/4 of the way up in the tank so I have a nice spot to put some sticks, and then I'll get a plating monti or 2 to stick on the left side of the right island so it grows out towards the middle :) that's the PLAN, no telling how itll actually turn out lol

Love the reefers but that 21" tall just kills me......

Sad part is Cad is 18........

Originally I was looking at cad since the reefer wasn't fully released yet, but after all the bad reviews and terrible CSR stuff I decided to pay a bit more, wait a month and get something fully backed by its company. I don't have a single complaint other than the small ish sump and that's my fault for using a skimmer rated at 2 of my tank.

On a side note this isn't a complaint but preference, I ended up peeling the black vynal stuff off the back pane of glass on either side of the overflow and I really like how it turned out.

I'll post pictures again once I even out the light, it bugs me that it's not even over the tank lol

Just move the tank :D

I have Reefcleaners right now but am thinking the same thing on the Pukani. It can sit in the garage in a can and stew while I figure out the next tank.

Archived