Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Playing with Fluorescence Photography

DurocShark

This is sooo cool. :)

All images done with my Nikon D3200, Nikon 85mm Micro VR, and a Tiffen Yellow #12 filter. The lens is stopped all the way down, but I didn't turn off the pumps for these, so there's some lack of sharpness.

The lighting is provided by my $70 165w Chinese LED light with just the blues (440 and 460nm) on for the fluorescence shots.

This one is a mash of daylight and fluorescence to get a feel for the difference:

EpvGCGt.jpg

Full photos of the above:

EcqkZEy.jpg

1FA20FJ.jpg

And some more, including a really sad hammer (still recovering from the light burn from the MH):

rQvrkoz.jpg

hUnzM1T.jpg

69ATQlC.jpg

rR5SeaI.jpg

What's even cooler is you're not limited to a DSLR! This works with cell phones and video cameras.

Here's a video I made using my Canon camcorder:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Maui's Reef

This is really cool! I used to play with backlights on my tank to get a similar effect, but I never knew it'd work with a filter.

Orange, yellow, red, brown, they all produce different effects by stripping most of the blue. Pack of gel filters online is like five bucks and u can see all sorts of crazy colors. I have found orange works the best for getting the various fluorescent colors that may be in our tank.

For fun try on random sunglasses in your house, or shop glasses, ski goggles etc.

Orange, yellow, red, brown, they all produce different effects by stripping most of the blue. Pack of gel filters online is like five bucks and u can see all sorts of crazy colors. I have found orange works the best for getting the various fluorescent colors that may be in our tank.

For fun try on random sunglasses in your house, or shop glasses, ski goggles etc.

Absolutely! The Yellow#12 is the most consistent of the filters I've tried. I picked up a Strobist set years ago, and wrote about it here: http://donimages.blogspot.com/2011/03/rosco-strobist-filters.html(No, I haven't updated that much. No time to write!)

Here's the set after I modified them to fit my flash:

strobefilters01.jpg

Archived