Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zoa Won't open..

fishstick41

Yes I know .. A topic everybody post. I have had this zoas for a week now and they haven't even opened I have moved them in and away from the light.. all the tests are telling me that the water is fine. PH: 8.2, ammona : 0, NO2 & NO3: 0, PO4: 0.04(a bit high I know). my salinity is 1.025. The only thing I didn't do before putting them in the tank was dip them.. only because I forgot to pick up some dip.. If anyone can help me calm my nerves that would be great.

Were they shipped?

It took my fruit loops over a week to open as long as they don't look like they are melting they should be fine.

No I bought them from my LFS. I believe they look fine let me take a picture of them. I'm nervous because my Chalice is not doing well also .. but on the other side my GPS and palythoa are doing wonderful.

they look fine. Just give them some time. I have a prolific bunch of green paly's that spent a month closed after I got them. They are growing like weeds now and huge.

356E53AA-1C4C-4BFE-8873-896AAC4DC611.jpg

They look fine to me but it's really tough to tell without a macro pic. This may sound really strange, but smell them. If they smell like rotten eggs they are likely not going to make it, no matter what you do. If they smell bad, I would do a peroxide dip and cross my fingers. Peroxide is harsh on the polyps but it will wipe out just about anything that could cause them problems. If they don't smell (which I don't think that they will based upon your pics), get some bayer advanced complete insect killer from lowes or home depot. On a hobbyist level, a bottle of bayer should last for a very long time and it will only run you about $13. I would do a search regarding how to go about a bayer dip. I use it often, so I don't even measure it out anymore. I like to add enough so that the water it's going into is too cloudy to see through and then dip for 10 minutes. That works well for me, but you might want to be a little more precise at first. Good luck!!

Also, it could be your lighting that's causing them to stay closed up like that. Try placing them in a shaded spot with decent flow for a few days and see if they respond to that.

They look fine to me.

I use 10ml of Bayer in two cups of tank water for 10 min. Get a syringe or turkey baster to squirt them with while they are in there too and give them a good twisting motion in the Bayer for a few min. Then rinse in a cup of tank water and stick them back in

Archived