SaltCritters.com

Alain's IM NUVO Fusion 30L - PHASE 2 BEGINS ON PG3

Alain

Not dying. Plate corals do all kinds of odd things. From what I have seen- they will often inflate like that if they are hungry. I'd just let it be.

Thanks for the advice, not sure what you mean by inflate (sorry if the photo isn't clear!) he seems a bit bleached at the centre, and he just looks like a skeleton! Torch and orange fungia are doing well and opening up though.

Looks okay to me, I wouldn't worry right now. FYI, I read somewhere, when I thought about getting one, that they shouldn't be placed on rock work because they can fall off when they move and injury themself? Something to think about.

Thanks! I've read that too! I've placed him on my substrate (CaribSea live sand) :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned, I whipped out the DSLR and took some slightly better photos! MOAR PIX!

MDY29Lv.jpg

He's not looking much better today :( Come back little dude!!

V1jnie5.jpg

FTS - Subtle rock rearrangement and repositioning of corals for now. Next step is to fill up the right side rock with small torch/hammer pieces.

MQmfxDL.jpg

Love this new fungia. Such a nice vibrant orange, he's got little blue/green tips and looks great on the floor.

G6OSvwg.jpg

First of what I predict to be many torches in my tank, SO CUTE.

QJMFxOW.jpg

My tiny clownies! Barely the size of a thumbnail! Grow my pretties, grow!

Those button corals don't have as much tentacle extension as the plate fungia corals. It still looks ok to me, still settling in. You will probably notice that it is a bit puffier at night. Everything is looking good so far :).

*EDIT*

Forgot to add, those plates love NLS (New Life Spectrum) pellets. I spot feed mine all the time and they go crazy for them. If you have any laying around you can always drop 2-3 on them and see what happens. I usually feed 10 or so at a time, it's cool watching them drag the food toward their mouth. Mysis shrimp works well too.

Those button corals don't have as much tentacle extension as the plate fungia corals. It still looks ok to me, still settling in. You will probably notice that it is a bit puffier at night. Everything is looking good so far :).

*EDIT*

Forgot to add, those plates love NLS (New Life Spectrum) pellets. I spot feed mine all the time and they go crazy for them. If you have any laying around you can always drop 2-3 on them and see what happens. I usually feed 10 or so at a time, it's cool watching them drag the food toward their mouth. Mysis shrimp works well too.

PdbH2mKl.jpg

He's come back! The little nubby tentacles came out for me today and a lot of his colour returned, I think I was just in a panic because I could see his bones! Very happy he's holding in there.

I've fed the tank with Reef Roids and the clowns are too small to eat the Hikari Marine pellets I have so I have opted to feed them with Zoo-Blast from a syringe. They've learnt to come to the syringe to feed! They eat the larger chunks in the mix and I'm sure the finer particles in the liquid benefit SOMETHING in the tank :blush: I am currently underfeeding the tank for fear of polluting it while it's still a bit young. Clowns are eating very enthusiastically though, and I hope the peppermint shrimp is earning his keep at night.

I am officially out of control. Hook up an IV of RO straight to my veins. This hobby is officially an addiction! I ordered some Chemi Pure Blue to polish the water, keen to see how this improves my tank. I have read and heard good things! I think I need to stop buying stuff for a while after this week..........

ASLPlmFl.jpg

Because I went back to one of the shops we browsed the other day and got this little fella! Love how curious the clowns are to meet their new tankmate! I have read a lot about tangs needing room to swim but this guy is TINY! He seems a bit stressed tonight, I will keep a close eye on the new guy for the next few days :)

Yep, knew it would bounce back :). General rule of thumb with tangs is 100G plus to house them fully grown, the blue tang will grow to the size of a football/rugby ball when fully grown. You should be able to happily house it for a year or two before it starts to get a bit too big for the tank.

Yep, knew it would bounce back :). General rule of thumb with tangs is 100G plus to house them fully grown, the blue tang will grow to the size of a football/rugby ball when fully grown. You should be able to happily house it for a year or two before it starts to get a bit too big for the tank.

Not a problem at all, when that time comes I have a friend with a LFS who will probably let me house him there (while I probably upgrade to a deep 6ft'er! :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Update! The blue tang is doing quite well! His colours are very bright and he's been pretty shy but in the last couple of days he's coming out more during feeding time. Takes very well to the Hikari Seaweed Extreme I feed him as well as come out for a clean up of any Hikari Marine S pellets the clowns don't nab from the surface. He also loves to nibble on the live rock and the occasional nori strip! Happy fish, happy aquarist!

I've added a new tankmate and spotted a few new guys I hadn't seen before! I found a small translucent crab in the live rock (couldn't get a good shot of him) and also spotted this fella coming out of hiding! I've named him Boogaloo! (Boogaloo shrimp!)

oeitwBwl.jpg

Anyways, I digress - on to the new addition. I've been on the hunt for the cutest Bi-colour Blenny I could find and I think I found him!

3SNk0KZl.jpg

I mean, just LOOK AT HIS FACE. I had to have him!

pHF3gqtl.jpg

He's settled in well playing in the caves of my live rock. His white markings have almost fully disappeared and he's stopped trying to jump from the tank, I take this as a sign of him being pretty comfy. As much as I love learning about the world of corals, I am definitely more of a fish guy!

Also, my MP-10 has been shipped, any advice on the best placement for it in my tank? I am thinking to point it towards the return end with the protein skimmer?

Bicolour blenny's (blenny's in general even) are very friendly fish and great to watch. I have a bicolour and he has been nothing short of a fantastic tank mate. The white markings show when they are stressed, it's supposed to make them look more aggressive I guess. If you can find some large barnacles he will really love them ;).

I'd put the MP10 on one of the sides of the tank, pushing water towards the overflow teeth.

Bicolour blenny's (blenny's in general even) are very friendly fish and great to watch. I have a bicolour and he has been nothing short of a fantastic tank mate. The white markings show when they are stressed, it's supposed to make them look more aggressive I guess. If you can find some large barnacles he will really love them ;).

I'd put the MP10 on one of the sides of the tank, pushing water towards the overflow teeth.

That's what I was thinking too, I will figure it out when it gets here! He seems very friendly in the tank but still hides or darts away when I approach the tank. Took the tang a while to come out of hiding and I'm sure he'll be less scared of me in the weeks to come :)

He looks awesome Alain! I love blennies!

I love the little guy, he'll sometimes be hiding behind a rock that I'm looking out and peep his head over to check me out! Reminds me of this:

F*** the tang police, it looks awesome :)

Thanks Harry! Really happy I found a tang the same size as my clowns so they can grow up together :)

• 2 weeks later...

First death! The aformentioned helmet fungia is definitely dead. I hardly knew ye. Thanks everyone for the hope that he'd come back and for a while even I thought he was on his road to recovery! As sad as I am that I have a dead thing in my tank now, it only drives me to get something new and make it THRIVE!

oHTPodT.jpg

Check out the cool hitchhiker crab that was having a party on top of the dead helmet! I had never seen this guy properly before.

I am putting the cause of the dead helmet down to a rushed acclimation and death from stress. The torch and fungia I purchased, acclimated and added at the same time as the helmet are both doing great and the gonioporas are opening awesomely! Ahhh well. Might browse for some more Euphyllia or an Elegance piece. Looking to add more toxic green, purples, oranges and gold to the tank!

FTS:

oAqecV9.jpg

Here's a shot I got of my short-spined urchin that comes out at night too!

ncfxqps.jpg

• 1 month later...

More than a month since my last update and I lost a fish as well as some motivation, but fear not! I'm back and the drive is even stronger than ever!!

So the blue tang hasn't made it to this update and to this day the death is a bit of a mystery. It could have been anything - the addition of an MP10 powerhead might have stressed him out with flow? Whatever it was, it might have been the fish? RIP to the little fella, I lost a bit of motivation after this!

Yesterday however, I pulled the trigger on a few new items as well as a few gifted corals from J. Fox!

Elegance!

cDZ6IB8.jpg

A small Pink Birds Nest frag from Justin! (Ahh!! SPS!!) And my new favourite piece, the leather!

mZZDg5W.jpg

L to R: Gold bar torch (looks so great under blues), my first torch and my new mottled ultra hammer!

nsv9wwv.jpg

Cute Zoa frags from an earlier fragging session!

C2z07hL.jpg

Ghostie! I've named him Patrick Swayze for obvious reasons...

hlzeile.jpg

And of course, FTS with a new rock layout!

r1O1t0F.jpg

Was having doubts about my first marine fish pick, but I would be kicking myself if I didn't keep it simple and start with the good ol' clown!

Clowns are awesome! It is awesome if you can get them (they choose to) host something! They killed my goni's irritating them. But, my duncans love them!

Also my lfs has a mated pair that about 5-8years old, not for sale though. They look SO majestic and chill. They have very cool color change to them as they age.

Clowns are awesome! It is awesome if you can get them (they choose to) host something! They killed my goni's irritating them. But, my duncans love them!

Also my lfs has a mated pair that about 5-8years old, not for sale though. They look SO majestic and chill. They have very cool color change to them as they age.

Yeah they've got so much character and are so personable! They love coming up when I feed and have paired and frolic in the gonioporas all day! The goni they loved the most is not doing so well and they've moved on to the next goni!

Can't wait until they get a little bigger and have more pronounced faces - so so cute!

It came time to add a new tank mate as the clowns were fun and all but I needed some diversity and my bicolour blenny is a bit of a lazy lounger!

To contrast with the dark colours of the blenny, I opted to get this fella - a firefish goby!

9kJ2HWI.jpg

I also added another coral - an orange wall hammer! he's a bit hard to capture on photos so i will leave it until my next update for a better snap of him :)

Hope you keep that lid on! Fire fish are jumpers

I noticed that! Lid is always on :)

This morning I startled him a little but he darted into the rock! I hope he decides to find shelter there and not on my floorboards!

Archived