inTank Media Baskets

####### Fatass Challenge

evanski

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you can easily get fit and lose body fat simultaneously, it's very difficult (for some nearly impossible) to lose fat and gain muscle mass at the same time (as one requires a calorie deficit, and the other requires a calorie surplus). To gain lean muscle mass and lose body fat, you'd probably have to go through a bulking phase followed by a leaning phase.

Maybe have her weight loss goal be higher (like 1.5 or 2 lbs a week). 1 lb a week would get you to your goal, while 2 lbs would get your mom closer to her goal. Losing 2 lbs a week is still typically considered safe for people with a lot of excess body fat.

A heavy heavy protein diet promotes the lean muscle gains while still maintaining a slight caloric deficit, it can be done but it's difficult lol.

Well... I just got off the phone with my mom who wants to have a weight loss contest with me. 60 days, winner gets $300...

How about a percentage of body weight loss?

Finally maxed out after the 4 month weight lifting cycle earlier this week, enjoying the much needed break :rolleyes: , then to enter the numbers and start all over next week :lol:

It wouldn't necessarily be "weight loss" I suppose. That's what we have to work out. I only need to loose 10-15 lbs, while she needs to loose significantly more. However, we both need to gain muscle. So how do we even that out so its fair to both? For $300, I could wait until the last two weeks and just starve myself - not that its healthy or a good idea, buts its a sure way to be the "winner"...

The "biggest loser" has a website that talks you through the calculations necessary to take into account your fat percentage loss. It brings everyone "equal" across the board it is how we did the contest at work. In the 2 months I lost 20 lbs and something like 9.2% of my total weight and I forget the body fat, but it wasn't much as I lost a shit ton of muscle. I wasn't really into it for the health, I was into it for the thousand dollar prize so I basically cut calories down to 7-900 per day. The closest person to me was my boss at 19 lbs, but he also weighed 320 at the start so his percentage was pretty low.

Just for a friendly bet between mom and daughter, for 30 bucks I also picked up a body fat analyzer on Amazon. They are known for being sketchy in terms of reliability and accuracy but the one I got seems pretty spot on if you follow all the directions. I can get the name of the brand of you would like.

The "biggest loser" has a website that talks you through the calculations necessary to take into account your fat percentage loss. It brings everyone "equal" across the board it is how we did the contest at work. In the 2 months I lost 20 lbs and something like 9.2% of my total weight and I forget the body fat, but it wasn't much as I lost a shit ton of muscle. I wasn't really into it for the health, I was into it for the thousand dollar prize so I basically cut calories down to 7-900 per day. The closest person to me was my boss at 19 lbs, but he also weighed 320 at the start so his percentage was pretty low.

Just for a friendly bet between mom and daughter, for 30 bucks I also picked up a body fat analyzer on Amazon. They are known for being sketchy in terms of reliability and accuracy but the one I got seems pretty spot on if you follow all the directions. I can get the name of the brand of you would like.

Nice! Yeah, id like to check it out. We have our terms set, and we each have 3-4 specific goals to achieve. That way, if we both achieve our goals, no ones a loser.

Didn't do the greatest since I had a bowl of ice cream at work today... Just means I have to run it off later!!

Monday weigh-in: +1.4 lb

Total since ###### Challenge began: -3.8 lb

Total since July 4: -18.0 lb

Totally going to blame this for the difference in gravity between Raleigh where I weighed-in today and Columbus, where I normally weigh-in. Oh and not exercising much, stress eating, and eating at some diner off the interstate last night... But I'm sure it is mostly due to gravity fluctuations. ;)

BIA is usually +/- 4%, skinfold calipers are +/- 2-3% depending on tester skill

I ran, on purpose, for the first time since high school gym class.

I mapped out the path around a nearby park to be 1/4 mile. I walked 1/4 mile to get there, walked 1/4 mile around, and then jogged. I wasn't quite able to make it once around the park. I walked halfway around, then jogged again. Barely made it. Quit and walked home.

Walking distance: 0.875 mile

Jogging distance: 0.375 mile

Total distance: 1.25 miles

I don't think I know how to breathe right while running. I get really out of breath fast. It wasn't my legs that caused me to stop - I was just out of breath so fast!

Been a little while since an update, finally found a boxing gym to pick back up with...was NOT expecting to be this sore again after week one :o:o:o:o , skipped squat day since I could barely walk lol.

Did the challenge die? Not much posting going on here anymore. Lawnman still dropping lbs? Stella? Kat?

Still eating healthy! I had worked up to running 10+ miles comfortably. Then hit a snag last week so my physical activity will be limited for a while :( But going to keep up on the clean eating for sure and then jump back in when I can.

I mapped out the path around a nearby park to be 1/4 mile. I walked 1/4 mile to get there, walked 1/4 mile around, and then jogged. I wasn't quite able to make it once around the park. I walked halfway around, then jogged again. Barely made it. Quit and walked home.

I don't think I know how to breathe right while running. I get really out of breath fast. It wasn't my legs that caused me to stop - I was just out of breath so fast!

Good job Kimber! When I started running, I used a “couch to 5k” program. It started with running for 1 minute at a time, with walking for 1.5 minutes in between for recovery. It sounded so easy, but man was it a challenge that first time! When I scrolled ahead in my app to see what was coming up, I didn’t know how I’d handle running for 5 minute intervals, much less running for 20 minutes straight! But, the app I used was great. It’s called “Get Running.” (splendid-things.co.uk/getrunning/) It has a friendly voice that tells you when to start and stop your intervals and chimes in periodically during runs to coach you. By the end of the 9 week program I was running for 30 minutes straight... and six months later ran my first half marathon. :)

My advice for anyone contemplating starting to run:
1) Start slowly! Overdoing it is a great way to injure yourself and then want to quit.
2) Be mindful of your form. Land on the balls of your feet, then hit with your heel. Keep your calves as relaxed as possible on impact. Don’t hunch your shoulders or slouch.
3) You don’t need to buy a lot of fancy shoes, clothes and other equipment to start out, but invest in a good compressive sports bra.
4) Breathe from your belly like a yogi. To help keep your breathing regular, think or sing the alphabet song – “A B C D” in inhalation and “E F G” on exhalation.
5) Start slowly! Really, I mean it!
6) Don’t run two days back-to-back. Always give yourself a recovery day as a beginner. However, try not to take more than two days off between runs as you lose the benefit of training if it is that irregular.
7) If you are going to exercise outdoors, pick a time when the weather is cooler and less humid.
8) Music during your run helps you maintain your pace.
9) Remember to hydrate both before and after you run!

i had trouble going any distance at all without gasping for air. Rule of thumb is for a jog you should be able to speak without sounding tired but not be able to sing. I started out averaging 7-8 mph and that was just way too much or me. I couldn't go a 1/4 mile without being exhausted. I then ran at 5-5.5 mph and I was doing a mile easy relatively quickly. From there you can shoot for better times if you desire to.

Good job Kimber!

Thanks! And tanks for the tips! This was my first time running so I really just wanted to see how far I could go.

I had planned on running Saturday and Sunday mornings until it gets too cold (cause it gets too dark once I get home, and the parks are closed). Then doing things like Yoga 2 nights a week, and continuing to walk 2.5 miles during my lunch hour 4-5 times a week. Do you still think that running two days in a row, only on weekends wouldn't do much? My goal is to be able to run 1 mile in 10 minutes or less in 7 weeks. Hmm... then I type that out, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to run enough in that short amount of time if it's only weekends...

Also, that app sounds great, but is unavailable on Windows phone... :(

i had trouble going any distance at all without gasping for air. Rule of thumb is for a jog you should be able to speak without sounding tired but not be able to sing. I started out averaging 7-8 mph and that was just way too much or me. I couldn't go a 1/4 mile without being exhausted. I then ran at 5-5.5 mph and I was doing a mile easy relatively quickly. From there you can shoot for better times if you desire to.

My app (run the map) says I was going 7-8 as well... But I put my phone in my pocket and just went. I also know I walk at a 3-4 mph pace. Any tips on how to slow that down a little? I don't really want to jog around with my phone in my hand to check my speed, but I guess if hat's what I need to do then I'll do it!

Thanks! And tanks for the tips! This was my first time running so I really just wanted to see how far I could go.

I had planned on running Saturday and Sunday mornings until it gets too cold (cause it gets too dark once I get home, and the parks are closed). Then doing things like Yoga 2 nights a week, and continuing to walk 2.5 miles during my lunch hour 4-5 times a week. Do you still think that running two days in a row, only on weekends wouldn't do much? My goal is to be able to run 1 mile in 10 minutes or less in 7 weeks. Hmm... then I type that out, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to run enough in that short amount of time if it's only weekends...

Also, that app sounds great, but is unavailable on Windows phone... :(

My app (run the map) says I was going 7-8 as well... But I put my phone in my pocket and just went. I also know I walk at a 3-4 mph pace. Any tips on how to slow that down a little? I don't really want to jog around with my phone in my hand to check my speed, but I guess if hat's what I need to do then I'll do it!

Get an el-cheapo armband from wal-mart or amazon, definitely great for runs

So I started Body Beast this week. I can tell you now that I won't be following the program as is. I actually like the lifting aspect of it, and I'm sure that it'd be effective if you followed it exactly. However, some of the workouts seem a bit long and require lots of changes to your weights. This is fine if you have time and a complete rack of dumbbells, but it gets cumbersome switching the weights on adjustable dumbbells for each set. Even Sagi ends up with weights all over the floor as the workout goes on.

100615a.jpg

I will, however, learn the exercises and continue to lift, loosely based on the program: Mon (chest), Tues (legs), Wed (back), Thurs (arms and abs), Fri (shoulders). I'll do the exercises, just not all the sets and variations (which I realize are effective at pre-fatiguing the muscles that you are working on). This should help keep the workouts shorter (with less weight changing). I'll just create worksheets for each day that lists the exercises for that day and how much weight to use.

The videos are fine. Supposedly the program is also for women, but it's hard to imagine that women find a lot of inspiration from all the talk about getting huge (which isn't my goal either). However, they do demonstrate the form (and how to use a stability ball instead of a weight bench). Once I get the workouts down, I won't need to follow the videos and can work out to some music instead. I figure I'll add some cardio in as well (probably just some of Jillian's workouts).

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody weigh in this week? Successes, disappointments, challenges, goals?

I've lost two pounds since this challenge thread began. According to my BIAs, despite getting a little stronger (through resistance training), I've lost some muscle mass since a year ago.

A little over a year ago

Weight: 225 lbs

Body fat: 31%

Lean body mass: 156 lbs

Today

Weight: 165 lbs (lost 60 lbs)

Body fat: 15%

Lean body mass: 141 lbs (lost 15 lbs)

I'd like to get my lean body mass back up to 150 lbs (with total weight just above 170 lbs, which is what I was in college).

I realize that BIAs can be inaccurate compared to some other methods. But for me, it's accurate enough to get a rough picture of body composition. I highly recommend getting your body fat percentage evaluated so you can monitor your lean body mass.

It's been about a year since I've had any back pain flare ups. I'm having a minor one today but would still like to workout; however, I'm going take the day off, just as a precaution.

I've lost a few lbs since the beginning of this.

For the past 3 weeks I have consistently taken an hour long walk during my lunch hour. I think I missed one day as it was raining. I am able to get 10,000 steps in before dinner time.

I really need to work on drinking more water, and working out on a consistent basis.

This thread has run out of steam. It was nice to see people so enthusiastic about getting healthier. I hope that everyone continues their efforts (even though they might have stopped posting here).

Did you see that the World Health Organization is comparing processed meat to cigarettes, formaldehyde, and asbestos (and red meat to insecticide)? Seems strange that they've lumped all forms of meat processing together, as I doubt they all share the same risk. Then to include red meat as a probable cause of cancer due to animal studies seems premature at best. Don't carnivores eat red meat? Should our dogs and cats be eating less meat?

Archived