Pod Your Reef

####### Fatass Challenge

evanski

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can do it!

I started running in April 2013, a month before I turned 39. Literally started with a couch-to-5k program. I had been working on losing weight for a year at that point and was down about 75lb. I wanted to kick my activity up another notch. (Running ultimately helped me lose another 40lb.) I thought I was going to die with those 1.5 minute running intervals you start out with! I got through it though and did a color run with friends as my first 5k. I did a few more 5ks that summer and was hooked! I decided to try a half marathon that fall. I followed one of Hal Hidgon's novice training plans and felt that it left me really well prepared. I was wiped at the end, but finished with a smile. There is a 12 week plan which you may be able to modify to follow before your race in October with your sister.

Last year I joined a local running group and did a couple more half marathons. Then I got the crazy idea that I wanted to do a full marathon just to say that I did it. And I did! I finished it! But I made one big mistake. For all the other 5k, 10k, and half marathons I ran, I was always really consistent with my training. I rarely ran two days back-to-back, but I'd never go more than 2 days without running. When I started training for the full marathon was around the same time my job responsibilities changed. It left me very wiped without much time on weekdays to run. But I still did my long runs on the weekends.

About a month before the marathon (September 2014) I started having shin pain. I assumed it was shin splints and decided to train through it and rest after the marathon. The marathon was mid-October. I took a break the rest of the month and started running again in November. Then my shin really hurt when I tried to run. (It never hurt while walking.) I was diagnosed with an anterior tibial stress fracture. Was in a boot and crutches over the winter. By February it was declared healed. I started a walking program (and I swear, I was following doctors orders!) and was up to 3 mile walks in April when my shin started hurting again. It refractured at the same site. Back in the boot.

I've had bone density scans, hormone testing, and calcium and vitamin D levels checked. Other than a hair low vitamin D level (which I am supplementing now) everything has been ok. It still hasn't healed up, so my doctor prescribed me a bone growth stimulator that I use daily. (It is an electromagnet I wear for 30 minutes.) My next recheck is in 2 weeks. I am dieing to be able to run again. I miss it so much. I've been doing some bike riding, but it isn't the same. And of course between my inactivity (I can't even go out for walks) and having gall bladder surgery and pancreatitis in January, I've put back on 30lb. So, moral of the story -- find a good training program and follow it!

Mirya, I freaking :wub: you. This is an amazing story and I so hope you can run again. I will be your best cheerleader. this story is inspiring.

I've always been active, mostly playing sports, but this past winter, I got really freaking lazy and out of shape. Since we've moved back to CT, I also haven't really reached out to find others that like to play volleyball and tennis, so I'm missing that. Finally I kicked myself in the ass and started getting back on track. I actually freaking HATE running, but it is a good workout and I'd like to stick with it. Although, the impact on knees and such is tough. I think after this, I may be sticking with treadmill running. My right knee is weak from an injury about 20+ years ago, so I have to watch that - a knee support sleeve is my friend right now, otherwise I'll end up having to go in for arthroscopic surgery and I really do NOT want to do that. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story. And Kat - thank you for coming up with this awesome idea. :grouphug:

Today's lunch. Avocado, green apple and baby spinach smoothie. Sounds disgusting, but it is actually really good and fills you up. Also gives me lots of energy (or that might be the massive cup of coffee that you see sitting in the background).

uCi0dNx.jpg

Ok - I'm in. My bad habits are lack of exercise and booze. Beer and whiskey - whoo boy. Go down too easy. I also have a massive sweet tooth. I need to drop ~5 lbs of fat and put on some actual muscle.

6'1" 175 - but I really need to get rid of the belly. It's all visceral fat tissue, behind my muscle and around my organs. The worst kind to have.

Breakfast wasn't much of anything. Coffee, banana, and a clif bar. Lunch was a turkey sandwich with provolone and lettuce/tomato, a bag of baked chips, and 2 cookies - I didn't see this thread until AFTER, lol.

Ditto on the hate running. If confronted by a bear, I swear to God I would have to really think hard about fight or flight.

BAHAHA! That's awesome.

Ok - I'm in. My bad habits are lack of exercise and booze. Beer and whiskey - whoo boy. Go down too easy. I also have a massive sweet tooth. I need to drop ~5 lbs of fat and put on some actual muscle.

6'1" 175 - but I really need to get rid of the belly. It's all visceral fat tissue, behind my muscle and around my organs. The worst kind to have.

Breakfast wasn't much of anything. Coffee, banana, and a clif bar. Lunch was a turkey sandwich with provolone and lettuce/tomato, a bag of baked chips, and 2 cookies - I didn't see this thread until AFTER, lol.

The brown fat is the worst to have, but the EASIEST to get rid of. Brown fat is much more metabolically active, with tiny fat granules compared with the signet ring glob on white fat.

Better diet and large muscle exercises and you will lose fast, youngster!

Hows the job search going? Saw your twitter and hope you are still plugging away.

12_egg_Omelette

Ditto on the hate running. If confronted by a bear, I swear to God I would have to really think hard about fight or flight.

You just need to be able to dead lift someone and throw them at the bear.

I can't run because of my injuries, so I'm stuck to swimming and biking. Two activities fat people don't like to do.

Well, I didn't eat any breakfast. But lunch was pretty tasty.

First step will be to cut pop out completely from my diet again. :unsure:

Sugar. I love sugar. I could eat it all day er'ry day.

Sugar. I love sugar. I could eat it all day er'ry day.

I love poptarts. I could eat poptarts every day. Poptarts are NOT allowed in this house ;)

The brown fat is the worst to have, but the EASIEST to get rid of. Brown fat is much more metabolically active, with tiny fat granules compared with the signet ring glob on white fat.

Better diet and large muscle exercises and you will lose fast, youngster!

Hows the job search going? Saw your twitter and hope you are still plugging away.

Job search is brutal. Major ego blow the other day - applied for a job that I had every qual for. It was literally exactly what I spent grad school doing and the job app was for a company who had discussed buying our lab's patent from my PI. Applied in May, never heard back. Checked on it yesterday - filled in June. If I can't find something that I match 100%...?? It was tough. Others have been disappointing, but expected and not a heart-breaker. This one was tough.

Good to know about the brown fat, though. Explains why when I actually work out and eat right I see results pretty quickly. Gotta get on a regime.

Wouldn't help anyway. Gotta drop and play dead. Running - they run 35+mph, and fighting? Unless you have a BIG GUN... ;)

I love poptarts. I could eat poptarts every day. Poptarts are NOT allowed in this house ;)

I bought s'mores poptarts to leave at my BF's place so that I don't eat all his strawberry ones! :( Won't buy more once those are gone!!

I bought s'mores poptarts to leave at my BF's place so that I don't eat all his strawberry ones! :( Won't buy more once those are gone!!

AHHHHHHH!!! Strawberry poptarts = swear word :lol: We got this, KB!

24, 207 during the am weigh in. Salad for dinner tonight with some grilled chicken maybe.

My biggest issues are binge eating after binge drinking. Nothing feels better than a full belly with a saturated brain. I was also running every night and recently stopped. I need to start that again. I use myfitnesspal and runtastic pro for apps to follow myself.

Lawns Biggest Loser participants

-Lawnman

-Metrokat

-Patback

-Evanski

-Kimberbee

-ArabTanker

-Merthynia

-StellaBlue

-Chris!

-12_Egg_Omlette

-Tibbsy07

-MikeTR

-Mirya

-Kguske2

-SnowPhoenix

I inhaled my lunch which was veggies and yogurt. My mom is visiting so she made spicy cauliflower with a couple of potatoes thrown in. I don't drink sodas, but I like unsweet tea or green tea. Sipping some unsweet iced tea right now. Might follow it up with some green tea.

I have a headache the size of Texas today - woke up with it. Narrowly avoided it turning into a migraine - haven't had those since I was a teen. My vision was blurry, it was just strange. I'm also someone with normal to low blood pressure so it doesn't make sense that it would be high although symptoms were appropriate. I'm better now, maybe I should watch the fish tank. :)

I inhaled my lunch which was veggies and yogurt. My mom is visiting so she made spicy cauliflower with a couple of potatoes thrown in. I don't drink sodas, but I like unsweet tea or green tea. Sipping some unsweet iced tea right now. Might follow it up with some green tea.

I have a headache the size of Texas today - woke up with it. Narrowly avoided it turning into a migraine - haven't had those since I was a teen. My vision was blurry, it was just strange. I'm also someone with normal to low blood pressure so it doesn't make sense that it would be high although symptoms were appropriate. I'm better now, maybe I should watch the fish tank. :)

Classic migraine signs. I get them. I get blurred/tunnel vision and my heart races. It sucks. I also have borderline low BP, but migraines tend to have a trigger. It might be your body adjusting to lower carbs to tell you the truth.

Running is a scam. Run a mile and burn 100-120 calories. Ride a stationary bike and burn twice that in the same time.

All this talk has convinced me to go join a gym..... tomorrow.

A year ago I couldn't do a regular push up. It was primarily due to pain in my right elbow, but my strength was really compromised. It's a bit demasculinizing to have to resort to modified push ups (especially since I was pretty athletic when I was young). However, I started from there and progressed.

Then I started doing Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred (you can pick it up at Target for less than $10). It's only 20 minutes a day, but it really helped with my fitness. I kind of feel like it's for women, but I figure if I could get as fit as Jillian, I'd be doing good. Plus, I was looking for something that was doable for somebody completely out of shape.

Anyways, I started with 5lb weights my first round, 8lb weights my second round, 10lb weights my third round, and purchased 12lb weights for my upcoming 4th round. After this, I'm going to do her 30 Day Shred (which should be even more challenging).

It can be hard to stick with exercise programs. Since college, I really haven't found the motivation to get back to the gym. My knees won't allow me to run, and I really don't want to work out for an hour a day. These 20 minute workouts get me sweating and I feel like I've actually done a workout (without being so sore that I can't wash my hair the next day); and I'm done in less time than it would take me to drive to the gym and back.

I overdid it on my walk today - real feel temp is 91. Walked it in the sun with black pants, and haven't had any water yet today. About to drink a Pepsi, cause it's tasty, cold, and will help with my new pounding headache. Plus I already ate my lunch and am feeling pretty weak.

I overdo it in the sun a lot. :unsure: I just love the heat and sunshine too much.

It was difficult to stop drinking sugary drinks. I went from Coke and Mountain Dew, to lemonade (probably just as much sugar) and sweet tea. Then I switched to reduced sugar lemonade and reduced sugar tea. Finally, I switched to water with lemonade flavored Minute Maid drops. I tried a soda a few months ago; and I really didn't care for it anymore. Funny how tastes change.

Archived