Top Shelf Aquatics

What coral do you struggle to keep happy?

HarryPotter

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can get the color, it's just after a couple months stn for no apparent reason I can find.. It just happened again last week. I fragged it up and put it in my softie tank and I think it's stopping for now

I can keep red planet but can't keep stylophora or birdsnest lol

Hmmm

reefernanoman

How can I kill or remove mushrooms? They are very nice looking, but they are aggressive and reproduce like crazy. It's the blue and red ones.

Forever killing birdsnests :) I think it's destiny. Currently on my 3rd try, here's hoping :D

I also kill a lot of zoas but I think it's because I buy a disproportionate amount of them.. They'll be fine one day and the next, closed up foreverrrrrrr

How can I kill or remove mushrooms? They are very nice looking, but they are aggressive and reproduce like crazy. It's the blue and red ones.

Higher lighting. They shrivel up and ditch!

(Learned that the hard way lol)

reefernanoman

Higher lighting. They shrivel up and ditch!

(Learned that the hard way lol)

Not these guys! They don't care! They are very tough. I even have sprayed aptisia x right in their mouths, they shrivel up and come right back a few days later. It's these kind:

IMG_3148.jpg

ReefSafeSolutions

Oddly enough, I can't keep mushrooms very well...they just don't do well in my tank. They open up, but not to the fullest. All my other coral is doing really well and growing, but the dang mushrooms...can't get them dialed in.

Not these guys! They don't care! They are very tough. I even have sprayed aptisia x right in their mouths, they shrivel up and come right back a few days later. It's these kind:

IMG_3148.jpg

So it's a pain but take the rock out. Use a razor or chisel and scrape under them taking a small layer of rock with it. I just did this last week on like 8 shrooms that six weeks ago was 1. Put them in a little container in my tank with rubble so they could all attach again (some I was able to glue from the small layer of rock attached to them) and now I will give them to some local reefer who want them.

The best way to get rid of shrooms is to get a needle and inject kalk paste into them.

I got rid of a ton of them that way -- some grew back from leftover tissue on the rock but the vast majority are gone. Talking about 20 ish shrooms down to maybe 3 or 4 now the size of a dime.

Now if only I could get aptasia to die as easily.. =/

I can't keep xenia alive at all.... I have tried so many times. Dirty water, clean water, good filtration, no filtration, doesn't matter. Makes me sad because it is one of my favorites.

Birdsnest.

I'm trying my luck with a larger green and purple pocillopora. Maybe that'll do better than the birdsnest.

I can't do stylophora, think it could be some sort of pest that munches on those long polyps.

zoas and palys. they dont die on me, but in over a year, i havent gonna single new polyp form 5 different frags i originally got.

its an sps tank with very low nutrients, so i dont expect phenomenal growth from my zoas, but ive seen tanks with both doing well. mine are tiny and stagnant. i also keep xenia on the back wall, it grows slow with the low nutrient levels, but there is SOME growth.

i intend to sell em along soon and call it quits.

Blastomussa. I only tried one, and still have it. I had it big and fluffy sprouting new heads when I first got it for about 3 months, then suddenly one day it retracted, lost the new growth and looked nearly dead. I have it back to looking o-k-a-y, but not great and it hasn't really grown at all. I guess I can technically "keep" it, but not happily. I have most of my other LPS doing amazing, and growing like mad.

Blastomussa. I only tried one, and still have it. I had it big and fluffy sprouting new heads when I first got it for about 3 months, then suddenly one day it retracted, lost the new growth and looked nearly dead. I have it back to looking o-k-a-y, but not great and it hasn't really grown at all. I guess I can technically "keep" it, but not happily. I have most of my other LPS doing amazing, and growing like mad.

this. It was the same size for years, then my urchin ripped it off the rock and I never saw it again. :(

Blastos can be hit-or-miss. Much more delicate coral than most think thanks to articles saying they are 'easy'. Lower-ish light, angled up on rock work if possible (can't stand sediment/sand coverage), don't move 'em if possible and don't let 'em drop/flip over (bacterial infections are very common when injured in the slightest).

Kept one variety successfully out of three that succumed to infections.

Mushrooms hate me. I desperately want some. I have a couple of green striped ones that I've managed not to kill for three years but they will not reproduce and stay tiny.

[ quote name=reefernanoman" post="5195189" timestamp="1448985706]Not these guys! They don't care! They are very tough. I even have sprayed aptisia x right in their mouths, they shrivel up and come right back a few days later. It's these kind:

IMG_3148.jpg

I would so buy these from you!

cowabunga-reefer

My two dendro frags i was super excited about died in a few days lol. My blue sympodiums haven't died but have shown 0 growth in like 5 months

• 1 month later...

I cant keep ricordias around at all- they do great for 1-2 months and then slowly shrivel and die

50-50 shot on keeping any zoo happy, it all depends on the exact type. Some thrive and some just remain pissed off and leave this world and take my money with it!

Pissed that my utter chaos paly finally had two babies but then green hair alge snuffed all three polyps out slowly even with continued maintenance by me. The ugly palys are just fine.... of course.

And yet, my favorite coral I currently have is the elegance, which many people have problems keeping alive. I got it over a year ago for $25 and its happy as can be and getting pretty large.

My candy cane is having a hard time lately, I'm going to reduce the flow - reading about that lately.

Tough ones for me are stupid. Zoas, GSP and Xenia. All melt away.

Okay... I have this zoanthid that for some reason is sickly. Some parts of the plug are strong but this one section keeps shrinking down, pinching up and looking like hell. I just took it out and hopefully the fragging, will separate what I think is healthy specimens and glued them seperately on small stones then onto a frag plug. I then dipped both into furan 2... I hope the ones that stuck to the rock will do best, they seem to be the strongest.

The mycedium chalice I bought from the store over a year ago has yet to grow a new eye and the WWC Joker mycedium chalice I had bought died as well. I'm not sure what its looking for as far as water conditions but it finally started throwing its sweepers out again after almost 6 months. It was receding in my old tank but in the new one it is finally growing! Here is a video I shot the other night of it. I'd say the longest tentacle is about 3.5"

Archived