Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What coral do you struggle to keep happy?

HarryPotter

I could never keep the hammer oral that has a big skeleton (I forgot the name), but the branching one I got right now is doing great. Also some zoas make it in my tank and others don't (they just melt away). I tried a green ricordia, which got white and melted away. I have been able to keep my monties(most of them) alive for a very long time.

I think its called a "walling" hammer? Not sure.

Funny you mention green ricordia- same thing happened with mine. Pale blue and orange rics are happy, but the green one shriveled and disappeared.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

I think its called a "walling" hammer? Not sure.

Funny you mention green ricordia- same thing happened with mine. Pale blue and orange rics are happy, but the green one shriveled and disappeared.

Yeah, something like that (walling hammer). For some reason it's much harder to keep than the regular hammer. I also killed a torch when I was new in reefing (about 10 yrs ago haha).

Yeah, something like that (walling hammer). For some reason it's much harder to keep than the regular hammer. I also killed a torch when I was new in reefing (about 10 yrs ago haha).

Wall Hammer. Never tried to keep one, my branching always did well. Seems I've read they are harder to keep and prone to infections when propagated/fragged? I can't recall completely.

reefernanoman

That's cause it's never had to deal with living in my tank. :/ I swear my tank, frustratingly, has an anti-gsp forcefield.

It sounds crazy, but your tank is probably "too clean".

It sounds crazy, but your tank is probably "too clean".

+1

Same reason I can't grow Xenia haha. Zoas are happy, SPS happy, LPS happy, but no friggin Xenia!

Ive killed two Xenia frags; they just wither!

reefernanoman

+1

Same reason I can't grow Xenia haha. Zoas are happy, SPS happy, LPS happy, but no friggin Xenia!

Ive killed two Xenia frags; they just wither!

I bet your nitrates are 0 right?

Don't put GSP, Xenia, or any of that garbage in your tank. Problem Solved!! ;)

Seriously though, my zoas are supper pissed and i have NO idea WTF is going on.... :angry:

Don't put GSP, Xenia, or any of that garbage in your tank. Problem Solved!! ;)

Seriously though, my zoas are supper pissed and i have NO idea WTF is going on.... :angry:

Only the expensive ones, right? Its a weird pattern I've noticed.... Cheap zoas grow into colonies in a week but expensive zoas stay the same size and/or disappear!

(Joking, but I've actually heard that a lot haha)

My problem is not with a specific coral but with a color ¿¿¿ Anything blue or purple comes to my house to die. Yet I keep trying for some reason. Right now I have a blue/green zoa frag with pox and 8 or 9 bluish purple mushrooms that are shriveling out of existence, both still in the QT. Happened in my old biocube 14, my 5 month old biocube 29, my 5 gal QT. My orange/purple/green zoas have grown over their frag and my green and red mushrooms are huge and making babies. So of course I want blue.

My problem is not with a specific coral but with a color ¿¿¿ Anything blue or purple comes to my house to die. Yet I keep trying for some reason. Right now I have a blue/green zoa frag with pox and 8 or 9 bluish purple mushrooms that are shriveling out of existence, both still in the QT. Happened in my old biocube 14, my 5 month old biocube 29, my 5 gal QT. My orange/purple/green zoas have grown over their frag and my green and red mushrooms are huge and making babies. So of course I want blue.

Thats so odd because I didn't think color has anything to do with hardiness, especially with Zoas and Mushrooms!

Thats so odd because I didn't think color has anything to do with hardiness, especially with Zoas and Mushrooms!

I know, that is what I find odd. Still have the amazing shrinking blue/green zoas with pox in QT and in a last ditch effort I fragged 4 of the blue mushrooms before they shrink out of existence and put them in the biocube. They do seem a bit happier today - but still 1/4 the size as when I bought them. Yet my reds just keep producing babies - and in this pic they were mad because I moved them up away from the blues just in case but you can see the size differential (stoma photobombing)

post-74710-0-04997500-1441769087_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Any weed coral other than zoas and shrooms just die xenia , aptaisia (had to give away my nudi because my aptaisia tank grew no aptasia no matter how many i add) gsp cloves

Cyphastrea. I can keep acros, Montis, encrusting, plating and branching sps all do great and grow/show great color and pe but cyphastrea just bleach no matter where I put them. I've tried under an overhang, down on the sand, up high in the middle and nothing g works !

Mainly high end zoa's for me,they don'y really die,they just say "FU*K YOU !!!!!" and close up,grow algae all over them for a month or two and then open up again...

I had a wall hammer in my old system. I could not resist its unique coloring. It did really well in my tank with a lower/medium flow. It was really delicate though, anytime I bumped it, it would close for a long time.

For some reason my regular blue stripped mushrooms did great for a week in my old tank but shrunk until they eventually disappeared. I went from well over 30 mushrooms to nothing in a matter of months. But during this time my ricordea was splitting like nuts. Like what?

Wall%20Hammer_zpspswwscgb.jpg

Red planet.. Can't keep one happy for the life of me

What kind of light/flow is it getting? RP are picky, they look different in everyones tank but typically high light will get it to go red, lower light brings out the greens. Then again I have seen under halides it becomes neon green and super hot pink. So.

I can get the color, it's just after a couple months stn for no apparent reason I can find.. It just happened again last week. I fragged it up and put it in my softie tank and I think it's stopping for now

Archived