Pod Your Reef

What coral do you struggle to keep happy?

HarryPotter

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my 46 litre fluval edge I couldn't keep xenia, just melted away. However I now have some doing very well for it's self in my new 330 litre 3x2x2 system?!

However zoa's and palys that had been ok in the edge have all melted bar some red zoas that are clinging on to life, GPS has also not faired well in the 330l system and has always melted.

I tried and failed with a large LTA and malu nem, but a really small nem I got the other month from a fellow reefer (I think it's some sort of LTA but not sure) has settled in well grown a bit and then split so I now have 2 of the buggers in there?

Also struggling with a purple acro colony I got the other week. Think I bleached the tips by starting it to high (my bad), but since lowering it to the sand bed it's been STNing and I have fraged it to try and stop the STN, some areas healed up well but others continued to STN and it's on it's way out I fear. Other SPS from the same tank as the purple acro have settled in and are growing well. I don't understand and I don't think I ever will.

I cannot get SPS's to sustain for longer periods. Birds nest do fine and so did only acro ( scrips green). I have lost 2 calitorts, red digitas, strawberry shortcake to name a few.

Whenever I get new SPS my parameters ago wack even though I don't do anything different.

Right now I am trying my hands on a few new Acros - red digita, red planet acro and a few more ...

Keeping fingers crossed ?

I cannot get SPS's to sustain for longer periods. Birds nest do fine and so did only acro ( scrips green). I have lost 2 calitorts, red digitas, strawberry shortcake to name a few.

Whenever I get new SPS my parameters ago wack even though I don't do anything different.

Right now I am trying my hands on a few new Acros - red digita, red planet acro and a few more ...

Keeping fingers crossed

Same story here, I can grow amazing Montipora but am having some troubles with Acropora! Some live, some die, some bleach, some color up

Same story here, I can grow amazing Montipora but am having some troubles with Acropora! Some live, some die, some bleach, some color up

i hate it sometimes...when it happens !!

In my 46 litre fluval edge I couldn't keep xenia, just melted away. However I now have some doing very well for it's self in my new 330 litre 3x2x2 system?!

However zoa's and palys that had been ok in the edge have all melted bar some red zoas that are clinging on to life, GPS has also not faired well in the 330l system and has always melted.

I tried and failed with a large LTA and malu nem, but a really small nem I got the other month from a fellow reefer (I think it's some sort of LTA but not sure) has settled in well grown a bit and then split so I now have 2 of the buggers in there?

Also struggling with a purple acro colony I got the other week. Think I bleached the tips by starting it to high (my bad), but since lowering it to the sand bed it's been STNing and I have fraged it to try and stop the STN, some areas healed up well but others continued to STN and it's on it's way out I fear. Other SPS from the same tank as the purple acro have settled in and are growing well. I don't understand and I don't think I ever will.

Yeah acros are evil! I noticed that when my tank was too clean (phosphate 0), my Xenia and Zoas immediately started to die. Maybe that was your issue? Also applies to GSP

Some of my Zoas are terribly hard to deal with. I don't know. they get sick, die off, recover, and the next lot goes through this cycle.

GSP. "It grows like a weed!" They said. "It will take over your tank!" They said. "You lied." I say.

Some zoas give me a hard time. Probably about 1/3 of my collection.

Yeah acros are evil! I noticed that when my tank was too clean (phosphate 0), my Xenia and Zoas immediately started to die. Maybe that was your issue? Also applies to GSP

I had a massive PO4 issue with fairly high NO3 too, wasn't a problem until I sorted the NO3 out 3 months ago, then the SPS I had started to loose colour, my LPS was completely unaffected. I got a reactor hooked up and ran Phos80 and my PO4 went from off the scale (more than 1.6ppm) to 0.34 in 4 weeks, with in 2 weeks of hooking up the reactor my SPS coloured right up and growth took off. 6 weeks later I added this failing acro with the PO4 issue now resolved, as I said other SPS from the same reefer the acro came from are doing very well, great colour and showing growth and a tri colour acro I have had for ages which hasn't done anything other than sit there is now growing like mad. Maybe it's just this type of purple acro that doesn't like me or my tank. As for the zoas and gps, until recently the tank conditions although acceptable, weren't as clean as they are now and still they melted.

Elegance. I've tried three little ones. They're cool for about a month then... dunno.

Also this candy cane had started with 5 heads all happy go lucky. Once it got into my tank it started shrinking. I think I had it for at least 3yrs and it was always just sloooowly disappearing. The thing would look perfectly happy and poofy. None of the heads just died outright they just shrink down til it was a pinprick, then wink out of existence.

2014-03-19_20-12-01_967_zpsjyqdcqvh.jpg

Don't start me.. I am down to one head from 14 in a month...

Montiporas( excluding Digis). My favorite corals by far, especially the encrusting types. I have a HORRIBLE time with them fading, and eventually dying off. Even monti caps, all the while my Acros and other SPS tend to do really well? Even my Chalices do well....not sure what I do wrong, I've tried every light/flow combo I can think of too. I just picked up two new ones, hopefully they do better. Suggestions?

Montiporas( excluding Digis). My favorite corals by far, especially the encrusting types. I have a HORRIBLE time with them fading, and eventually dying off. Even monti caps, all the while my Acros and other SPS tend to do really well? Even my Chalices do well....not sure what I do wrong, I've tried every light/flow combo I can think of too. I just picked up two new ones, hopefully they do better. Suggestions?

Weird! Maybe your tank is too clean or they are getting too much light.

Weird! Maybe your tank is too clean or they are getting too much light.

I dunno, honestly I try everything. My other corals do great, my other SPS grows like crazy. I've placed them next to high light corals like my other SPS, medium light LPS, and low light stuff like chalices. No idea man.

Branching SPS corals.

Have tried various Acros, recently got a Montipora Digitas that a LFS told me was one of their indestructable frags.. its dying.

Had a giant birdsnest though, grew from a frag to the size of a softball.

Plating SPS seem to work for me, I have a big spongodes and bought a monti cap that is growing just fine .. in close proximity to a dying acro and previously referenced dying montipora digitas.

Also have an encrusting mystic sunrise montipora that is sitting on my sand bed doing fine.. so who the f' knows omgomgomg

Oh - and friging cloves. I have killed so many clove frags in my tank.

I have this void at the top of my tank where I need some sps bad =P

XFEjcAW.png

Glass is dirty - haven't cleaned it in over a week.

Any and all zoas...even the ugly ones. I have had something like 13 zoa frags in my system for the course of 1.5 years. One by one, they all whither away. Sometimes the colony explodes in growth for about 2 weeks and then dies just to taunt me. Currently there are 4 frags in there, but they have stayed the same size for months now...not a single new head.

Strangely, the 2 Euphylias and the birdsnest are thriving.

Any and all zoas...even the ugly ones. I have had something like 13 zoa frags in my system for the course of 1.5 years. One by one, they all whither away. Sometimes the colony explodes in growth for about 2 weeks and then dies just to taunt me. Currently there are 4 frags in there, but they have stayed the same size for months now...not a single new head.

Strangely, the 2 Euphylias and the birdsnest are thriving.

Currently struggling with my zoas as well. Were growing amazingly, now half of a colony will close up etc. No idea. No pests found either.

reefernanoman

I could never keep the hammer coral that has a big skeleton (I forgot the name), but the branching one I got right now is doing great. Also some zoas make it in my tank and others don't (they just melt away). I tried a green ricordia, which got white and melted away. I have been able to keep my monties(most of them) alive for a very long time. No problem keeping GSP (grows like weeds or those crazy xenias, but I'm staying far away from xenias)

Archived