inTank Media Baskets

What coral do you struggle to keep happy?

HarryPotter

Hey NR members! I'm really curious about if anyone has "met their match" with a certain type of coral. Basically that you cannot keep it growing well and/or alive.

I'm pretty curious because at this point everything I've tossed in has done well, minus a stupid mistake or two of mine that killed an acro or Zoa frag. However I only have basic (relatively cheap) corals, so that's not saying much,

Is there a coral that you struggle to keep?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
deceptikhanh

Hey NR members! I'm really curious about if anyone has "met their match" with a certain type of coral. Basically that you cannot keep it growing well and/or alive.

I'm pretty curious because at this point everything I've tossed in has done well, minus a stupid mistake or two of mine that killed an acro or Zoa frag. However I only have basic (relatively cheap) corals, so that's not saying much,

Is there a coral that you struggle to keep?

hahah im curious to know what mistakes did u make ?

hahah im curious to know what mistakes did u make ?

Like mixing up CoralRX with Nail Polish remover. Not pretty on the zoa. Also dropped an acro into a RFA and couldn't get it back. Still to this day I'm convinced it swallowed it! Hmm... And much more. Too embarrassing to say the rest!

Edit: Also was doing a freshwater dip on a mushroom from a sketchy LFS since I saw bugs and I got distracted and left it there for the entire day. Brown goo

BUT HEY DONT JUDGE! IVE ONLY BEEN AT THIS FOR A YEAR!

dragonxflare

For me, I have issues keeping Electric Oompa Loompa Zoas.... Not sure what it is about them, but every frag I've gotten so far, they melt.

For me, I have issues keeping Electric Oompa Loompa Zoas.... Not sure what it is about them, but every frag I've gotten so far, they melt.

That's so strange, I don't understand. My only idea would be that you are somehow treating these frags differently- idolizing them and giving them an unusual placement?

Shouldn't all Zoas be the same difficulty?

A lot of morphs are prone to melting away in the first few weeks, while others can't be contained with fire. All depends.

I've yet to keep any type of Ricordia happy. Just my no go zone I guess.

i always manage to destroy birdsnests some how. the longest ive kept one was around 6 months. about 5 other frags/colonies have been killed in a little under a day.in my first 10 gallon tank, basically any zoa that was somewhat attractive also melted immediatly. i grew the #### out of basic bland ones though.

Cyphastrea will never ever have any PE for me and just look progressively like ass in my tanks. I've tried different flow, low light to really low light, and different tanks. I've given away the two I tried to keep before they died on me.

Like mixing up CoralRX with Nail Polish remover. Not pretty on the zoa. Also dropped an acro into a RFA and couldn't get it back. Still to this day I'm convinced it swallowed it! Hmm... And much more. Too embarrassing to say the rest!

Edit: Also was doing a freshwater dip on a mushroom from a sketchy LFS since I saw bugs and I got distracted and left it there for the entire day. Brown goo

Cyphastrea will never ever have any PE for me and just look progressively like ass in my tanks. I've tried different flow, low light to really low light, and different tanks. I've given away the two I tried to keep before they died on me.

Stupid question.... What is RFA?

Elegance. I've tried three little ones. They're cool for about a month then... dunno.

Also this candy cane had started with 5 heads all happy go lucky. Once it got into my tank it started shrinking. I think I had it for at least 3yrs and it was always just sloooowly disappearing. The thing would look perfectly happy and poofy. None of the heads just died outright they just shrink down til it was a pinprick, then wink out of existence.

2014-03-19_20-12-01_967_zpsjyqdcqvh.jpg

deceptikhanh

lol pretty funny if you ask me ... MORE STORIES!

dragonxflare

That's so strange, I don't understand. My only idea would be that you are somehow treating these frags differently- idolizing them and giving them an unusual placement?

Shouldn't all Zoas be the same difficulty?

I believe some like more light than others, etc etc. Also, from what I've read, some are more prone to melting after being fragged than others.

Nobody laugh but in all the systems I have ran on my own green star polyps just melt away and die have never been able to grow them.

Nobody laugh but in all the systems I have ran on my own green star polyps just melt away and die have never been able to grow them.

Huh... Ive never tried GSP

For me it's been my Torch coral, by far my favorite coral and I can't seem to keep one alive or thrive. 1st one I bought was about a year ago (Purple Torch) and it had 3 heads, opened up fully and looked amazing for the 1st week. Went to a frag swap up in PA and picked up a gold Torch that was 3 heads as well and that one went in my Deep Blue 7.5 gallon cube. Well 2 heads on my Purple melted away in my MT and then about a month later my gold one melted away totally. I haden't change a single thing with my tanks, nothing was tested out of wack, I just couldn't get it.

Messed up part is NONE of my other corals had a single issue, I have 2 frogspawn colonies that grow like crazy but not my Torch. Today I still have the Purple Torch and even after a year to 1.5 year it's still down to that single head that survived and not growing a whole lot. Once I'm home from deployment I'm going to cut away the 2 dead heads and hope that works. I just want a large Purple torch colony, is that too much to ask for :(

For me it's been my Torch coral, by far my favorite coral and I can't seem to keep one alive or thrive. 1st one I bought was about a year ago (Purple Torch) and it had 3 heads, opened up fully and looked amazing for the 1st week. Went to a frag swap up in PA and picked up a gold Torch that was 3 heads as well and that one went in my Deep Blue 7.5 gallon cube. Well 2 heads on my Purple melted away in my MT and then about a month later my gold one melted away totally. I haden't change a single thing with my tanks, nothing was tested out of wack, I just couldn't get it.

Messed up part is NONE of my other corals had a single issue, I have 2 frogspawn colonies that grow like crazy but not my Torch. Today I still have the Purple Torch and even after a year to 1.5 year it's still down to that single head that survived and not growing a whole lot. Once I'm home from deployment I'm going to cut away the 2 dead heads and hope that works. I just want a large Purple torch colony, is that too much to ask for :(

Man that stinks. Ive never had a torch, but they look very delicate to me as well.

So we have Torches as the most difficult from three members, candy cane, high end Zoas, GSP (lol :P )/

Anything else?

Florida Riccordeas hate me.

But Ricordia Yuma are okay?

I've had one of my three Florida Ricordias melt away, but two are big and spreading

Nps coral at least the first time I gave them a try, the only way I was able to keep them alive was because of the huge (relatively speaking) daily water changes I was doing. Good thing my mother worked in the keys when I had the tank setup. She would bring me a 2 gallon bucket filled to the top with stright ocean water everyday from work. But overall it was a struggle to keep them alive. They like clean water, but required a constant supply of food in the water column.

Archived