Top Shelf Aquatics

Are these Hydroids? Please say no!

Bingo1213

I am wondering if these are colonial hydroids. They are growing in the middle of a green montipora digitata. They look kinda like a small green zoanthid with longer brown tentacles. I have not added anything new in a few months but I just noticed these today. I feel they must be pretty new as I stare at my tank constantly and have not noticed them. If they are hydroids how can I kill them? Can I burn them off with a torch? or will something like aptasia x do the trick. Thanks guys!

post-85115-0-96922700-1439764597_thumb.jpg

I'll try with my big camera when I get home tonight that was just a phone pic. How do I get rid of them? Idk where they came from and why they showed up now and in that spot none the less!

Hold your fire!

Hydroids are a pretty dang broad group, and anyways I'd be a crying waste to kill noninvasive animals. First I must ask is there any tissue recession or irritation on the coral near the hydroids colony?

And take a nice close look at the hydroids tentacles, tell me what you see on the tips.

Chances are the colony came with the coral.

Ok so ill check the tips tomorrow as my lights are off now but I do know they didnt come on the coral because the coral itself is over 3 years old and has completly covered the rock I put it on. I glued the original frag far away from where these have seemed to turn up. It almost seems like the hydroids or what ever they are, are sitting in a hole surrounded by the rest of the coral. There is no apparent tissue damage as of now. Do colonial hydroids sting and cause damage pretty quickly? If they are none invasive id love to keep them. They are pretty cool looking. What should I look for on the tips? When ever i google hydroids they all have brown centers while mine have bright green idk if that is any indicator as to what they are.

Depending on the hydroids, corals can be overpowered or vice versa.

That's part of the concerns of colonials is they sometimes have Nasty stings, and some can grow quickly, just keep a little eye on polyp counts if you are concerned about the growth rate.

As for speed of damage that depends greatly.

Try to see bubbles at the tips, they may be very small so make sure to look closely, a magnifying glass will help much.

maybe the hydroids came as an egg?

You got a lucky break if it isn't capitata hydroids, they have the mean stings.

It is probably some sort of filifera hydroid.

I'd say leave it and just keep track of its growth, make sure it isn't too quick. Heck if it is a good one you might even want to frag it some day.

Archived