Cultivated Reef

What tank can you move easily?

waldoz

chemikalzsky

I would suggest making the tank the centerpiece of the room and add in corals that compliment her design choices. She can also be a part of the tank aquascape design and can rearrange it when gets an urge to move something. (I wouldn't do it often though). If you put it on a really nice stand or credenza, she might not be tempted to move it so much.

I still don't get it. Have you talked to her about it? If she can't leave a fish tank alone and has to have the ability to move it around the house on a whim perhaps there is a bigger issue at hand. Maybe try counseling and or medication?

Ha ha. "Doctor, my wife wants to move the fish tank. Can you put her on meds." I am also installing a rodi and drinking system the first of the year. I just want this transition to be smooth and start small. I am currently hunting for a nice jar or vase.

Haha so you have an interesting situation... Not sure I could deal with something like that. I'm more of the opinion that it's too much of a pain and risk to be moving an aquarium around the house. Though that doesn't mean you have to stick with a tiny jar...

That being said do you have level floors without steps or big floor transitions?

If so, I've seen several tanks on rolling carts. You could either build or buy a rolling cart. If you buy one, make sure it's bulky wood (like one of the butcher block top kitchen carts) or an all metal design where the shelves themselves are as sturdy as possible so there's no chance of the tank not being supported along it's length. You may even want to reinforce the shelves by attaching angle or tube steel underneath. I think there's a heavy duty cart at Costco or something that people have used for a 20-30g tank. You may have to modify the cart by installing locking wheels - shouldn't be too hard or expensive to do that though.

Try to use a rectangular cart with a rectangular tank. I think this will be the most stable while moving it around.

Then you just mount a power strip to it, plug everything in, and when you want to move you just have 1 cord. You could even put a cord wrap on it to keep it out of the way while rolling around.

Found a link: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/363565-need-a-new-standcabinet-suggestions/

Or you could just talk to your wife and come up with a corner of the house that you can put the tank. Will she really have to go about moving your tank? If so, that is seriously a mental health issue and any amount of rational thought as to what tank you get really won't matter. You can't rationalize with the unrational.

Archived