Innovative Marine Aquariums

LFS problems

MJ1980

I recently been told by a former worker at my lfs that they use copper in their water. Is this legal?He said it helps fight parasites?? I'm loosing my hammer after a month, and all perimeters are spot on apart from phosphate which is a bit high! Could this be the reason? My last hammer lasted over a year.

I recently been told by a former worker at my lfs that they use copper in their water. Is this legal?He said it helps fight parasites?? I'm loosing my hammer after a month, and all perimeters are spot on apart from phosphate which is a bit high! Could this be the reason? My last hammer lasted over a year.

They use copper in their fish tanks, not their "salt water" that they sell. Copper prevents disease with fish

At least that's what the LFS around me do.

Not illegal, LOL! It is a prophylactic measure to help with parasites like marine ich.

Why not call them or go in there and ask. They would not hide that information from you.

No idea what the deal is with your hammer. They would not be using copper with the corals. Post some real information and maybe someone can help. The term "spot on" is meaningless. We need current data and a FTS. Why did your last hammer only last one year?

Thanks for the feed back guys! Sorry about the "spot on" I'm a Londoner. NH4 + N02 = 0. NO3 10ppm. My water has been like that most of the time, I have had high nitrate before and phosphate but always managed to bring it down! I upgraded my tank 10 months ago and think that had a lot to do with my 1st hammer. My PO4 is 0.5 which I'm in the process of "sorting" but don't think he will make it. All white round the sides and just a small bits on top. Do you think he will live? Appreciate the feed back

Thanks for the feed back guys! Sorry about the "spot on" I'm a Londoner. NH4 + N02 = 0. NO3 10ppm. My water has been like that most of the time, I have had high nitrate before and phosphate but always managed to bring it down! I upgraded my tank 10 months ago and think that had a lot to do with my 1st hammer. My PO4 is 0.5 which I'm in the process of "sorting" but don't think he will make it. All white round the sides and just a small bits on top. Do you think he will live? Appreciate the feed back

A picture would be awesome!

Corals can come back in the right conditions- don't give up yet :)

I've tried pics when I first joined and can't seem to upload,I have a iPhone 5 or iPad if you can help?

Download photobucket on your phone or iPad. Upload the photo there, and then copy the "img" link. Paste that here and the picture will show up nice and big!

Polyps aren't gone though. Don't trash it just yet- double check your parameters, make sure theres not too much flow, and make sure you aren't BLASTING it with light

Archived