Innovative Marine Aquariums

New to the forum!

Oneslowsaleen

Oneslowsaleen

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but not the hobby , I've had numerous fresh water tanks and a reef tank ( until a hurricane took it) . I been going back and forth about starting a tank again as I had A recent car accident that has left me quadriplegic , however I have full use of my arms just limited hand movement . Two days ago I decided to take a challenge and went ahead and ordered a 29 gallon bio cube , I'm going have a stand made so the tank is a lot lower than normal. I will make some adaptive equipment and family has agreed to help me. I still have to get a few things before I can get the tank going , I will take pictures as I go along and I'm sure I'll have questions for you more experienced aquarist. I just wanted to introduce myself before I start posting away.

Thanks Nick

Marc.The.Shark

Welcome Nick! This is a nice place, we look out for each other pretty well & everyone is nice & helpful. Look forward to your tank build. Keep us updated!

johnnyvega252

Hello Nick,

Im quite new too, my tank is about 2 months old and i can't tell you how nice the people on Nano-Reef are, without them I wouldn't be where i am today. Theres many people on here with multiple methods and all filled with great advice. Welcome my friend

Welcome to the forum, just a word of advice don't visit the makeshift lounge, that's where they cyber bully :(

It's a heated debate in there. But, ya, you're gonna need some thick skin.

It's a heated debate in there. But, ya, you're gonna need some thick skin.

it's a crap hole, there is no debate! I stick with my words on this.
Oneslowsaleen

Thanks everyone! My tank is suppose to arrive today though all I can do is look at . I'm excited to get started , and post my progress. Thanks for the fair warning about the makeshift forum, lol I went in there out of curiosity. I think I can hold my own if need be.

Oneslowsaleen

Ok so my tank and stand have arrived , I've gone through everything to make sure it all works. Now it's time to start getting my supplies, I'm going be ordering a lot cause unfortunately I can not go to my LFS yet due to lack of transportation. I did some research and reading up this is what I come up with

30-32 lbs dry Fiji rock

Crushed rock to replace the bio balls

Coralline reef epoxy

20 lb Caribsea Hawaiian black Arag live sand ( concerned about grain size, heard gobies can have hard time sifting the sand )

2x100 watt heaters (haven't looked into which ones yet) 1 for tank other for preparing water / or back up

Bucket of instant ocean reef crystals .

Test kit for the basic parameters , and to measure salinity.

The only thing I'm going get from LFS is the water I'm going send a friend to get it for me, I'm get a few extra gallons for water changes and evaporation . I have a spectreprue RO/DI unit but it's unfortunately back in ny so I won't have it for awhile. what you guys think about my list am I missing anything , or something you might do different. I will being starting a new thread in members aquariums to post progress!

Yeah, what are your plans for stocking? :-)

Even though their common, I love my clowns. So much personality. They people watch as much as I watch them lol.

Oneslowsaleen

No I am not from Texas , I was orignally from New York I had lost a FW tank to Irene, heard about sandy so I broke down my 125 reef sold off my live stock, live rock and corals some of the equipment I kept , tank and sump I gave to friend. It was a good call storm destroyed my house , there was so much water that it would've been over the top of the tank..but that's old news.

Now as far as stocking goes in my bio cube I was thinking of going with a seahorse and safe tank mates I come up with a small list of corals,fish or invertebraes I may or may not add

Fish- Neon Goby , and Purple firefish

coral-Finger leather, sun coral, clove polps, Christmas tree coral, colt coral, chalice coral

Macro algae - purple ribbon, red grape

Invertebraes- cleaner shrimp, velvet sea slug,

would a pistol shrimp be ok in this environment?

Now I may be way off but this is just a list I come up with that is safe with a seahorse , I need to do more research to see exactly what will work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nice list. Daughter has been bugging me to get sea horses. Following this. You stated you have limited use of your hands, the sun coral and christmas tree coral do require feeding. And the macro algae will require some trimming. Although if you can use a turkey baster you should be fine. if you havent checked this out already its a good place to start. http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtmlfound it when my daughter first started bugging me for sea horses.

Oneslowsaleen

Yes I have the use of only my thumb and index right now they are getting stronger, the tank will provide a lot of challenges that mil going run into with my situation but I'm stubborn and will figure out ways to get through them , make adaptive tools ect. I also have help of my family and friends. I checked that site out has a lot of good info.

Oneslowsaleen

Well all my stuff has arrived! The photos were taking with my iPhone that I can barely hold so photos aren't great. I got 35 gallons of RO/DI water, 50 lbs dry Fiji rock ( not using it all ), 2 digital 100 watt finnex heaters, Red Sea marine test kit, 20 lb Caribsea Hawaiian black live sand , 5 gallon bucket instant ocean reef crystals, epoxy, and 29 biocube and stand. This weekend I will be mixing water, doing some Aquascaping , and getting some better photos with help from my sister.

post-88869-0-62402800-1440715130_thumb.jpg

post-88869-0-04651600-1440715143_thumb.jpg

Archived