SaltCritters.com

New Tank - Please help!

stew1818

Ok so I will preface this with I have learned most of what I know inline......

I just purchased a Innovative Marine 40 gallon tank. I put the rock in the tank filled it with water and then added sand. I think adding sand at the end was a mistake. It has been 24 hours and it is still really cloudy. The sand i used was Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand. I also added some bacteria. My ATO and skimmer are on order.

So I have a couple questions........

Would running my MP -10 make it less cloudy faster?

Is the Caribsea Ocean Direct sand better or worse than the Caribsea Arag-alive special grade?

I fish from a old Innovative Marine 20 gallon that I would like to move to this one and want to know when I should do this?

Please all answers are good ones. I just want to do this right.

Thanks

1. Doesn't matter with the MP10. It just needs time. Running a bubbler and binding the CaCo3 might help according to what I've read.

2. Don't know about sand types, sorry.

3: Wait till this tank is done cycling until moving the fish over. Was it live rock?

I upgraded from my 28 to a 45. Basically I stated the 45 like new, waited till it was ready, and then transferred the livestock. I think you should do something similar

Thanks Harryjsinger..... It was live rock. I also added some bacteria and water from my other system. This sand just seems very very fine and easy to cloud up if things get moved around. I know they sell stuff that is a little bigger chunks of sand.

Archived