Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sand Dollar in reef aquarium

HarryPotter

Does anyone know if you can support a Sand Dollar in a reef aquarium? I saw hundreds at Sanibel Island, including dozens of 1" specimens.

Is there enough micro fauna? Would supplemental feelings of phyto and maybe sinking algae pellets work?

Interesting question, i would assume so. With enough research anything is possible!

It would be pretty awesome. Right before I left Sanibel I considering bagging a small 1" one to take home on the 4 hour car ride, but changed my mind to avoid being impulsive.

Only worry is that they depend on buried food, which I (and all reefers) do NOT like.

They might do ok in bare bottom, most of their reasons for burying themselves are defensive. So if there are no predators it could work...

I have a friend who has a 3 ft freshwater ray and he went bare bottom when the ray was 1 ft. But you might have to hyper-feed the tank just to get them to eat, which means more water changes... idk it would definitely be interesting to see.

Probably a good idea not to take the snail. I can see it now on the forum.. "My tank just crashed because i added a snail with a disease" :lol:

My tiny reef

I actually got into saltwater aquaria because I found a sand dollar and wanted to keep it alive. Maybe in a much larger and well established tank it could work. Mine lasted about 2 months but it was a brand new tank and only 14 gallons. They are pretty interesting though, if you can keep one alive let me know...they remind me of my childhood, I really love them.

I actually got into saltwater aquaria because I found a sand dollar and wanted to keep it alive. Maybe in a much larger and well established tank it could work. Mine lasted about 2 months but it was a brand new tank and only 14 gallons. They are pretty interesting though, if you can keep one alive let me know...they remind me of my childhood, I really love them.

They're so simple and beautiful. It was insane at Sanibel- hundreds and hundreds of these sand dollars ranging from 1" to 6" washed ashore. I tried to throw them back for a while before I gave up to nature :(

I saw a ton in Puerto Rico as well and was wondering the same thing. It would be really interesting to know if someone has kept them successfully long term :)

I'd imagine them to be relatively easy as long as you offer sandy substrate with plenty of food. They are mostly scavenging, but will gladly go predatory on small benthic animals.

Btw, they are illegal to collect live, along with snails in Lee County, which is where Sanibel is located.

Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. A bunch of people collect live ones and lay them out to dry, which sucks. Same with urchins :(

fishfreak0114

Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. A bunch of people collect live ones and lay them out to dry, which sucks. Same with urchins :(

That's so mean :(

I never heard of them till now. Very interesting indeed, I'm always thinking of odd inverts / fish to add... Let some one else with more experience in the hobby try first ;)

Naa... Those with expierience won't want to risk it- that's BORING! Lol

Harry are do you live in Fl or were you just visiting? I've thought about this a couple times, these are easily attainable at Fort desoto(couple hours north of Sanibel). Might just try it anyways.

Harry are do you live in Fl or were you just visiting? I've thought about this a couple times, these are easily attainable at Fort desoto(couple hours north of Sanibel). Might just try it anyways.

I live in South Miami, I was just visiting Sanibel. Lucky guy!

if you got sand and a sparse cuc, go for it!

Next summer! Sadly I won't be in Sanibel again until then

I live in South Miami, I was just visiting Sanibel. Lucky guy!

You live like an hour from the keys, I'd say you're quite a bit luckier than I am, although I'm not jealous of the Miami part :)

Archived