inTank Media Baskets

20L need help on picking out a light

deceptikhanh

so the AI prime would be good but i would need 2 of them? on their power output on their website I read, "With a spread of 30" x 30", the AI Prime® has a peak PAR of 260µMol at a depth of 12 inches, more than enough for your hungriest of livestock. Drawing a maximum of 50 watts from the wall, it follows in the familys efficient footsteps."

Im not positive. Here is a build thread with an AI Prime on a 20 long :)

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f97/fusion-20-nano-reef-build-with-ai-prime-led-231154.html

I will head down to my LFS and ask around seeing what they would recommend. I will tell them what i'm planning on doing and will ask good lighting sources for a tank like the one i am going to be setting up. thanks for all the advice and sorry if I am sounding rude.

also i made a thread on the lighting forum about this topic so we don't have to cloud up this topic and not helping.

I would be hesitant on asking LFS. There are some that are good and others that have no idea what they're talking about. Just depends on the place.

Yes, but a pair like he mentioned ;)

Definitely.

so the AI prime would be good but i would need 2 of them? on their power output on their website I read, "With a spread of 30" x 30", the AI Prime® has a peak PAR of 260µMol at a depth of 12 inches, more than enough for your hungriest of livestock. Drawing a maximum of 50 watts from the wall, it follows in the family’s efficient footsteps."

Need is relative. With just one, you would be very limited as to what you could grow. I think a more accurate spread would be about 18" or so of area where you can get good growth on a lot of different corals. Yes, the AI Prime will cover 30" but you have to think about what kind of intensity you'll actually be getting at those extremes.

I will try one light at first and eventually if i need two i will get two, one question is do these lights have a programmed timer; as in does it cycle from dawn to day to dusk to night?

You should be able to do quite a bit including the dawn and dusk stuff.

yes i have the Samsung Galaxy s5 active. thanks for all the help. i greatly appreciate it!!!

BTW i have found them for 179.99 here and the stand for 29.99

http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/aquarium-lighting/staff-picks/prime-wifi-led-fixture-aquaillumination.html

That's a great deal! That's one of the things I like about the Prime in that you don't have to buy a separate controller or timer in order to get them to work like with other AI products and even kessil products which have very limited control without an additional controller.

Ok I am sorry I misread the box on the Current Orbit Marine. I was looking at buying the pro version which has a better spectrum and is actually rated for a reef. The Current Orbit Marine pro 24-36 is the one that I have seen at my lfs not the normal 140 dollar version.

Ok I am sorry I misread the box on the Current Orbit Marine. I was looking at buying the pro version which has a better spectrum and is actually rated for a reef. The Current Orbit Marine pro 24-36 is the one that I have seen at my lfs not the normal 140 dollar version.

The pro gets the added optics which really help. The only issue is at that price range, there are better lights out there.

The pro gets the added optics which really help. The only issue is at that price range, there are better lights out there.

Agree. At that point I might aswell go with the nanobox duo or an AI prime

Need is relative. With just one, you would be very limited as to what you could grow. I think a more accurate spread would be about 18" or so of area where you can get good growth on a lot of different corals. Yes, the AI Prime will cover 30" but you have to think about what kind of intensity you'll actually be getting at those extremes.

I think at I might just go with one and put it over a bigger rock formation that I have in mind and on the other rock do some lower need stuff like zoas and xena. On the big rock I could do leathers and some anemones

Agree. At that point I might aswell go with the nanobox duo or an AI prime

but you will not get the spread with the prime unless you buy two. and a duo is 450. i am all for the duo's as i have one, but on a budget, i know for a fact from my own tanks the current can grow anything.

Whats your setup with the lights and your tank?

Its basicly the same as the Duo. It has the same color leds as the V3 array but has more violets.

Archived