Pod Your Reef

We may have to move and I have three salt tanks and a fresh

Hammerstone

I've moved before, fresh and got trash cans for bringing the water with me and I took out the rocks and left the fish in the tank.

I have never moved a salt water

Tank. I'm scared the sand movement will bring up the detritus and they will all crash.

I'm scared my plants won't be happy moving in their tank and I have huge Angels that wouldn't fit in a net.

My zebra barred dartfish are too big for nets and so is my blue reef chromis.

I feel really bad. I don't know if I can handle this. I love my fish and are attached to them. Do you think the salt tanks will survive? I'll pack the rocks in wet newspaper and likely put them in a bucket.

Anybody go through this and have it be successful? I might even have to go farther away. Any advice will help. I haven't bought any corals yet, I wS going to right before my landlord gave us the news he's selling the house we've lives in for twelve years. I'm screwed. I meant two salt tanks not 3.

Termite tenting and moving are 2 things I fear. Transfer all your live stock first then get rid of the sand no point in keeping it as the move will just stir up all kinds of crap. Keep your live rock in the water 5 gallon home depot buckets worked for me. If the live rock is out of water for a prolonged period of time you will see a new cycle when your tank is set back up. It is likely your tank will go through a mini cycle after new sand is put in the tank. My last 2 moves worked out well using this method.

The plants in your fresh should be fine just keep the bases wet.

They sell huge nets. Might be time to go to the LFS and get a bigun.

As long as this is a local move you should be fine. just make sure the tanks are the last to move and first to set up. Fish, corals and other livestock makes a hell of a journey to get to our LFS. I have been to an export operation and seen how this stuff is treated packaged and shipped. frankly I am surprised any of it makes it her alive.

Your concerns are well founded but I am sure your tanks will be just fine.

Archived