ReefCleaners.org

T5

Amy

Would the Coralife T5 11" Fixture be a good fixture for a 5 gal tank with a Chalice Corals?

I currently have an LED with mixed results from it thinking the T5 might be better?

Would the Coralife T5 11" Fixture be a good fixture for a 5 gal tank with a Chalice Corals?

I currently have an LED with mixed results from it thinking the T5 might be better?

Any T5s under 24" aren't great in terms of how they break in and last. I would recommend getting a better LED- perhaps a NanoBox?

Nano box is just to expensive.

I have the Ecoxotic Eco Pico Arm, 4 strips, 3 of the strips are blue and white, 4th one is all blue.

I run the all blue full strength, the other 3 strips 50%

I have killed many Rics with these lights so I am being careful now with them as I have 3 nice Florida Rics.

I have coralline algae growing for the first time in the tank, so I guess that is a good thing.

I guess I will just have to play around with what I have to make sure I don't kill anything.

Tank is only 5 gallons so any LED has to be dimmable

Nano box is just to expensive.

I have the Ecoxotic Eco Pico Arm, 4 strips, 3 of the strips are blue and white, 4th one is all blue.

I run the all blue full strength, the other 3 strips 50%

I have killed many Rics with these lights so I am being careful now with them as I have 3 nice Florida Rics.

I have coralline algae growing for the first time in the tank, so I guess that is a good thing.

I guess I will just have to play around with what I have to make sure I don't kill anything.

Tank is only 5 gallons so any LED has to be dimmable

I have a 12.5 EcoExotic LED strip with power supply for sale in the classifieds ;)

I have to disagree. I have found much better results with color and growth in my chalice corals and zoas under T5s. LEDs are great, efficient, and give a lot of output, but there are some downsides as you have experienced. I am definitely considering going back to T5s. with my next tank. Just my personal experience.

Funny you say that many reefers here are going back to T5 on their tanks too. I kick myself as I bought 4 yrs ago a nice T5 for my 5 gallon back then but sold it, now I cannot find anything like it as the smallest is 24"

Everything I have seen on the Coarlife 11 T5 is the bulbs burn out quickly forcing you to replace them all the time. The downside of this being 11" is I could be wrong but I believe Coralife is the only company who makes the bulbs meaning no other chance to try an ATI bulb. They are less than $50 so might be worth a shot, if it doesn't work out your not out too much money.

Eco Pico lights have no significant lights to grow corals at all. I have them on my pico for GSP.

Although chalice corals hate LEDs, the ones you have aren't strong enough at all.

I have a modded coralife mini T5 light for sale. It has 4 bulbs instead of the stock 2.

I have to disagree. I have found much better results with color and growth in my chalice corals and zoas under T5s. LEDs are great, efficient, and give a lot of output, but there are some downsides as you have experienced. I am definitely considering going back to T5s. with my next tank. Just my personal experience.

I've never used T5s over a reef, but have heard similar comments. The only thing is that the OP wants a fixture under 24" so would be stuck with the coralife bulbs that are known to burn out and be unreliable.

I've never used T5s over a reef, but have heard similar comments. The only thing is that the OP wants a fixture under 24" so would be stuck with the coralife bulbs that are known to burn out and be unreliable.

Agree. That is the caveat. Hard to find small T5 fixtures that are good.

It sure is hard to find fixtures for these small tanks. I think at this point maybe what I have might be my only choice, I don't want to cook my chalice corals so do you think that these lights I have will provide enough light for them and good growth?

It sure is hard to find fixtures for these small tanks. I think at this point maybe what I have might be my only choice, I don't want to cook my chalice corals so do you think that these lights I have will provide enough light for them and good growth?

If you're sticking with LEDs, I find that my Chalices do much better with more blue light (18-20k). Keep your whites low and blues high and you'll be okay. The chalices that are partially shaded /indirect light are actually the ones with the best color and are the ones growing the fastest. Hope this helps.

If you're sticking with LEDs, I find that my Chalices do much better with more blue light (18-20k). Keep your whites low and blues high and you'll be okay. The chalices that are partially shaded /indirect light are actually the ones with the best color and are the ones growing the fastest. Hope this helps.

TBH it sounds more like your LEDs are set brighter than your chalices like rather than they like the bluer spectrum more since you yourself say that the shaded ones are growing faster.

Archived